Gap Year Job Questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kochanie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So there is no way in hell I will be living home after I graduate. I need a job to at least be able to pay for rent and food. But I also need to start almost right after I graduate.

1. When should I start applying (rising senior)?
2. When's too early to apply for scribe jobs (Scribe America).
3. Best paying?
4. Easiest?

Thank you..

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So there is no way in hell I will be living home after I graduate. I need a job to at least be able to pay for rent and food. But I also need to start almost right after I graduate.

1. When should I start applying (rising senior)?
2. When's too early to apply for scribe jobs (Scribe America).
3. Best paying?
4. Easiest?

Thank you..
What did you major in? What skills do you have? In terms of best paying/easiest if you had SAT > 2200 or ACT > 33 tutoring is a good way to go.

Never too early to apply for jobs...
Look for work as an ER tech, most often don't need certification. Pay is pretty solid depending on area. PM me for details on being an ER tech/EMT if interested :) I graduate soon too!

It all depends on what you want.

For research there a couple ways to go about it.
1) You could try working as an NIH post-bac after graduation. For that, they often say you should have your stuff sent in at least 6 months before you start so now's a solid time to start considering it, thinking about who you would want to use for rec letters etc. Note if you are only taking 1 year it will probably be harder to find someone to commit to you and while it's doable it might be a better idea to start applying sooner in that case.
2) If you are in a lab and want to work there next year now is a good time to start asking about the prospect of working there after graduation. Even if the lab at the moment wouldn't have funding to pay you if they like you in the next year they can try and plan ahead and take out some money for you.
3) If you want to look around for lab jobs applying online is all well and good but your best bet at getting a hit is cold emailing professors. Alot of professors will take interest in someone directly emailing them and someone they can directly get to know and will hire them over some random person just randomly applying online unless there is a huge difference in credentials. For this, if you want to work day 1 out of college really give yourself at least solid several months in advance(again if your only doing this for a year give yourself more time because alot fewer PIs are interested in a one year commitment). First it'll take some time for someone to agree to take you and after that all the procedural work of officially hiring you and putting you in the system can take a while as well. Note, this is assuming you have research experience; if you don't getting someone to hire you for a year is a lot harder.

Research is a huge one which is why I posted so much about it but couple other options
1) Tutoring. Md-2020 hit it above. 33+ MCAT, 2200+ SAT etc can get you a job particularly if you know some people who already tutor.
2) Hospital jobs: Transporter, Nursing assitant/PCT, ER Tech maybe even a phlebotomist or something along those lines could all in play. Some states require certification like a CNA to really hire anyone, others won't. Try and get a feel for this for your area if you are intersted in this. This is the type of thing that I would honestly even start applying now for since you are going to be applying online through a huge system where it can take months for someone to contact you even if intersted and a whole lot more to officially hire you and train you.
3) Scribe: You hit it scribe america. Want to give at least several months in advance for that also probably. Keep in mind for this and a job in a hospital you will work specific shifts at what could be odd times ie(7PM-4AM) or something along those lines.
4) Non science: Finance, consulting, marketing etc if you have the qualifications will all pay far better than anything here and while it might be hard just to find something for one year it could be doable if like I said you have the credentials for it.
5) Working for a non-profit. Also non-science, depends on your volunteering background and who you know.
6) Pharamcy Tech: Need a certification(which I hear is easy) and pays pretty solid. Not the most exciting job necessairly but solid experience.
7) Get a job as an EMT: This would require a class and jobs aren't always the easiest to find even with a cert but if it is something that interests you go for it. Keep in mind an EMT cert will make getting a job as a PCT alot easier especially if no requirements such as a CNA license are needed.

I should also throw in Americorps as an option. I don't know a ton about this but there are many who do. The application process is one where you do have to apply a decent amount in advance and do your homework on but almost everyone who does it has a great experience.

The options as for what's hardest or best paying is all on you. Obviously a job in finance pays more but it all depends on your skill set. I wouldn't anticipate a major difference in payment between hospital jobs and research(expect both to be around 25K or so). Not great but if you dont live in an obnoxiously overpriced region its rather doable. The only thing I'll say about easy is the hospital jobs involve tons of moving around, constant interaction and working at odd shifts. It's a much different environment than research and research and hospital jobs are stressful in their own way. Again, it all depends on what your interested in and where your strengths lie.