Gap year job suggestions ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

browneyes124

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
I know similar threads have been posted before but most of answers just say to volunteer and do something not paid. My situation is a bit different and hard to explain so it would be nice to have some inputs on jobs.
I graduate in about 16 months. Majoring in biology minor in psychology. During my gap year ( dropped a class my first semester and because I've taken so many college classes in high school I didn't start as a freshmen so the earliest I can go to med school would be August 2019) I know that explanation might not make sense but trust me it's a long story. In my gap year I plan on marrying my long time fiance. ( he's military and gets out in 2019 ) I plan on moving to the state he's in because my family and I are kind of estranged and it's just a dysfunctional environment that I've always hated.
Are there any jobs that would be good for pre med students or should I just stick to " a normal job? " I work in retail and have for the past 3 years. The company I work for is pretty worldwide so they are really good at transferring. I know I always have that as a fall back but I'm just kind of tired of it because it's the only job I've had and retail gets super boring fast.
I was thinking about maybe applying for some research assistant positions because I have a lot of research experience and there are a lot of universities near where he is stationed but I heard that you have to have a research assistant certification or something to get a paid position. Is this true?
Just kinda lost on what to do financially for the gap year because it seems like all the hospital jobs require a bunch of certifications, even the entry level ones.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Scribing is good for the clinical experience but the pay sucks

Reactions: 4 users
I feel like I would need a full time job since I will have to be paying for an apartment and all my other bills before I get married.
Ah. Yeah well in this economy, getting a full time job in a lab/hospital would be pretty tough. Especially if you show up for job interviews and you tell them you are going to medical school in a year. Lol. Not impossible though.

Ah. Yeah well in this economy, getting a full time job in a lab/hospital would be pretty tough. Especially if you show up for job interviews and you tell them you are going to medical school in a year. Lol. Not impossible though.
Ya that's what I'm afraid of. Even in my home town there are jobs available but I know they are looking for long term people

Ya that's what I'm afraid of. Even in my home town there are jobs available but I know they are looking for long term people
I'd just say keep your expectations low. If you're planning on landing a job like that, it may just lead to disappointment.

Obviously you don't tell them you're looking for short term employment until medical school. They will sometimes ask your 5-10 year educational goals and I'd suggest you say a pary-time online Masters or maybe a weekend only phd program. If you say Med school they will ask you dates as most are keenly aware that you can't work full-time during Med school.

As far as uber drivers, it really depends on your geography. Also, it's a lot of wear and tear on your car over time. If you're anything like me, the higher risk of getting in a car accident made uber/lyft/amazon packages NEVER an option for me.

If you want to be paid a living wage (meaning not scribing), you have some time before you graduate, I'd say try to get some experience in whatever field you want to work in during your gap year. For instance, my volunteering/working for special programs that recruit/retain students that are 1st gen and low income allowed me to gain a full-time job in admissions at another college/university right after graduation.

Lastly, in general community colleges pay more per hour and most classified staff jobs only require an AA (you can get your foot in the door now). If you met the qualifications and can mold your resume to match, you should apply to many. Most universities require a bachelor's or more for almost every position, but if you can prove you have experience in that or a related field I'd go that way before uber.

Reactions: 1 user
Obviously you don't tell them you're looking for short term employment until medical school. They will sometimes ask your 5-10 year educational goals and I'd suggest you say a pary-time online Masters or maybe a weekend only phd program. If you say Med school they will ask you dates as most are keenly aware that you can't work full-time during Med school.

As far as uber drivers, it really depends on your geography. Also, it's a lot of wear and tear on your car over time. If you're anything like me, the higher risk of getting in a car accident made uber/lyft/amazon packages NEVER an option for me.

If you want to be paid a living wage (meaning not scribing), you have some time before you graduate, I'd say try to get some experience in whatever field you want to work in during your gap year. For instance, my volunteering/working for special programs that recruit/retain students that are 1st gen and low income allowed me to gain a full-time job in admissions at another college/university right after graduation.

Lastly, in general community colleges pay more per hour and most classified staff jobs only require an AA (you can get your foot in the door now). If you met the qualifications and can mold your resume to match, you should apply to many. Most universities require a bachelor's or more for almost every position, but if you can prove you have experience in that or a related field I'd go that way before uber.
I volunteered at a hospital where I got to be a second assist in surgery but obviously stuff like that needs at least an associates in that field. Do you think a graduate program would be a good option? I've always that about doing one in genetics or behavioral neuroscience but didn't want to postpone medical school but seeing as how I'm already having a gap year, what's an extra 6 months- 1 year? I know a lot of research graduate programs have stripends and stuff and I guess I could get a part time job on the side ? And no I would not be doing the masters for the money

I volunteered at a hospital where I got to be a second assist in surgery but obviously stuff like that needs at least an associates in that field. Do you think a graduate program would be a good option? I've always that about doing one in genetics or behavioral neuroscience but didn't want to postpone medical school but seeing as how I'm already having a gap year, what's an extra 6 months- 1 year? I know a lot of research graduate programs have stripends and stuff and I guess I could get a part time job on the side ? And no I would not be doing the masters for the money

I'm not the best person to answer that, but I'll still give you my two cents. Will a masters be worth the potential loans? Is it something you're actually passionate about, or just want to kill time? There are cheaper ways to kill time. Ways that can benefit your app and not take away from your MCAT prep, primary app and secondaries. Well, actually a job would do that in some aspects as well. Just think about what you really want.

I would strongly recommend research. You don't need a special certificate, usually your degree and previous experience qualifies you. The great thing about doing research is there is usually a lot of flexibility with hours and you'll be in a learning environment with a lot of bright academics. There are also situations in research that can be more directly tied to clinic as well. Go to a strong research university and try to exhaust as many resources as you can while there

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would strongly recommend research. You don't need a special certificate, usually your degree and previous experience qualifies you. The great thing about doing research is there is usually a lot of flexibility with hours and you'll be in a learning environment with a lot of bright academics. There are also situations in research that can be more directly tied to clinic as well. Go to a strong research university and try to exhaust as many resources as you can while there

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I will be moving to Virginia and Virginia has some good research universities. Would I have to attend the universities to do research there? I know some one at my school who use to go there but graduated years ago but came back to take a research position in her previous lab. I can't remember the title ( maybe lab coordinator ?) but she's basically second in command after the PI. So based on that I wouldn't think you'd have to be currently attending but just wanted to make sure.
Also do you have to have publications and big stuff like that to get a paid research position? I have about 2 years worth of research experience now but don't currently have any publications or authored on anything

I will be moving to Virginia and Virginia has some good research universities. Would I have to attend the universities to do research there? I know some one at my school who use to go there but graduated years ago but came back to take a research position in her previous lab. I can't remember the title ( maybe lab coordinator ?) but she's basically second in command after the PI. So based on that I wouldn't think you'd have to be currently attending but just wanted to make sure.
Also do you have to have publications and big stuff like that to get a paid research position? I have about 2 years worth of research experience now but don't currently have any publications or authored on anything
You don't have to attend school there. Bigger, better funded universities and labs usually have positions available titled "research assistant" or something like that.

And you don't need publications. As long as you have skills that match up with the lab (e.g. PCR, protein expression, etc.) and your current PI can speak about your independence in lab you should be good as long as your GPA is solid

If you're interested in clinical research, I'm working as a clinical research assistant right now and it's been a good learning experience of the ins and outs of clinical trials. I also get a ton of patient interaction and have learned plenty of clinical skills.

If you're interested in clinical research, I'm working as a clinical research assistant right now and it's been a good learning experience of the ins and outs of clinical trials. I also get a ton of patient interaction and have learned plenty of clinical skills.
Did you just need previous research experience for the position or something else?

Teach english overseas.

You get to travel and get paid decently