Gap Year Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danceamber

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm trying to gather a list of jobs that I could potentially do during my gap year. I know a lot of people scribe, and that's definitely and option, but I want to know what other jobs are out there that a cool gap year jobs. I am totally aware that this is kind of vague, but if you have a job that you did during your gap year or know of any, just shout them out. I'm open to hearing all sorts of positions! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Wouldn't call it cool, but I worked as a CNA. Pretty quick education and training to get into a hospital and get good hands-on experience.With 12 hour shifts, it leaves lots of days open for other things too (like volunteering). In the realm of jobs, it is a pretty bad one that does not pay well, but you will definitely grow as a person and have PLENTY to talk about come essay and interview time. Not for everyone though

Reactions: 1 user
Medical Assistant! I'm finishing school for it right now (recently chose to go pre-med officially, and I'm already almost done with my program so why quit now?). It's short, but you also learn EKG and Phlebotomy, as well as pharmacology! It's pretty neat and you have a bunch of job options (you could work in a clinic, work in a hospital, etc.). There's a bunch of options and it's a cool career path. Pay is better than CNA, and with experience you could get better pay (my mom has been a MA for 10 years and gets paid $18/hr). So yeah, just my opinion!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a good friend who did a lot of research in undergrad, and she's been working a paid research gig for $30/hr. I'd say that's the best gap year job there is if you can find something similar... at least, it's definitely the best paid. Good luck!

Medical Assistant! I'm finishing school for it right now (recently chose to go pre-med officially, and I'm already almost done with my program so why quit now?). It's short, but you also learn EKG and Phlebotomy, as well as pharmacology! It's pretty neat and you have a bunch of job options (you could work in a clinic, work in a hospital, etc.). There's a bunch of options and it's a cool career path. Pay is better than CNA, and with experience you could get better pay (my mom has been a MA for 10 years and gets paid $18/hr). So yeah, just my opinion!
Agreed^^^ I am working as an MA during my year off and I love it! I work three 12's a week which leaves me plenty of free time to enjoy life before med school... My main advice would be to start applying to various jobs early. Get to know your professors, as they can often lead to research jobs (most of which are a two year commitment). Good luck!

I took a year off and did MCAT teaching and private tutoring in chem and physics -- I liked that they were paid, relatively flexible, and I feel like med schools appreciate applicants who have some kind of teaching experience.

Worked as an after school counselor/tutor for an underserved group of kids. Most rewarding work I've ever done!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

I'm trying to gather a list of jobs that I could potentially do during my gap year. I know a lot of people scribe, and that's definitely and option, but I want to know what other jobs are out there that a cool gap year jobs. I am totally aware that this is kind of vague, but if you have a job that you did during your gap year or know of any, just shout them out. I'm open to hearing all sorts of positions! Thanks :)

Uber/Lyft

Hey guys,

Patient transport is "cool" and fun! Try to get a position in a bigger hospital. On the job training can be done within a week, just need a CPR cert.

Worked as an after school counselor/tutor for an underserved group of kids. Most rewarding work I've ever done!
That sounds like an amazing job! How did you get involved/apply for a job like that?