This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rys1493

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently in my senior year of undergrad majoring in Psychology and French. I plan on going on to grad school for clinical psychology, but I have decided to take a gap year to maybe get more experience and to just have a break from the academic setting. I have been trying to research my options for what I can do during the next year, and am having some trouble. I would like to do something that will help me going into graduate school, and I know research is an option, as well as teaching. I wanted to ask what would be a good way to spend a gap year for someone who plans on eventually getting a doctorate degree in clinical psychology. Also, where should I search for any opportunities that may be available after graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say research is your best option and a good place to start would be asking the professors in your department if they or someone they know could use some assistance on their current or upcoming projects. Other than that you could also gain a little hands on experience working with populations that interest you. You could ask your professors about this, browse job boards for openings, or search for volunteer opportunities.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with the above--if grad school in clinical psych is the option, as much as you may want a break from academia, working/volunteering as a research assistant is going to be the best way to spend your gap year. A distant second would be what was also mentioned--getting some hands-on experience, but the types of experiences available will be rather limited (e.g., possibly a case worker for a state agency, or support staff member of a state/inpatient facility).

Hi, I am currently in my senior year of undergrad majoring in Psychology and French. I plan on going on to grad school for clinical psychology, but I have decided to take a gap year to maybe get more experience and to just have a break from the academic setting. I have been trying to research my options for what I can do during the next year, and am having some trouble. I would like to do something that will help me going into graduate school, and I know research is an option, as well as teaching. I wanted to ask what would be a good way to spend a gap year for someone who plans on eventually getting a doctorate degree in clinical psychology. Also, where should I search for any opportunities that may be available after graduation?

In general, a research assistant-type job is probably your best option. Even if you can't find work in an academic institution, look for positions that will offer you a chance to learn and use some research skills (these sometimes exist at non-profits, government agencies, etc.). If your college or university has a career services office, take advantage of its services.