Gap year or not? 3.7 gpa 3.6 sgpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

homeostasis205

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I cannot decide if I should take a gap year or apply this upcoming cycle in June. I've talked to family and friends and it's only confused me more. Regardless, I'm taking the MCAT in May 19! If I do decent on the MCAT (get a score 510+) should I stick with applying this cycle? Or do you think I should take a gap year, raise the GPA and sGPA up to a 3.8/3.7 and apply then? I know I would apply MD/DO both ways (would a heavy emphasis on DO!) It may help to note that I have pretty decent volunteering, ECs, research experience and clinical hours. I'm also an ORM from the midwest. Let me know if you can help with this decision. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should wait for your MCAT score to decide. Apply when your application is ready

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should wait for your MCAT score to decide. Apply when your application is ready
That's fair! I would have to get my letters of rec and open an application come may if I wanted to apply this cycle which is why I'm looking to ask others for advice. What would you say to someone with a 510+ and my stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say with a 510+ you're good to go assuming all your ec's are lined up. Good luck!

depends also on your extracurriculars. stats are important but not the whole story.

505+ with even distribution should be good for osteopathic schools.

depends if you want to or not and on your mcat

Take the gap year even though you would definitely have extremely good chances at DO with a 503+.

You can thank me later :hardy: It's a reset button for fun + refocusing

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I would agree take the gap year.
1. mcat date is risky. you can either do well or not do well and if you decide to apply and do not score well, you throw yourself under the bus. Especially for MD schools.
2. Do you have shadowing hours? you didnt mention that in the EC and shadowing a DO doc and getting a letter from a DO physician are pretty big for DO schools. I applied to a school (cant remember the name) where they will not accept an MD LOR. Only DO. A lot of schools are either/or about the subject but strongly prefer DO letters. If you are doing both, upload the MD letter to AMCAS and the DO letter to ACOMAS. Makes it easier.

At the end of the day, it is up to you. Apply when you feel your app is strongest. Make sure you do your research on each school you apply to and set up a good application list. My DO list was pretty good but I messed up on my MD school list and wish I didnt. Learn from my mistake.