Gap Year: SMP vs Research/Clinical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JaChris

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll,

This is my first post here. I've been searching through these forums over the years and have gotten a lot of great advice. So I decided to finally make my own account and join in on the discussions! Some quick background info about me:

Demographics: Male, Asian, TX resident
Undergrad: Ivy League (competitive-known for no grad inflation, class of 2017)
cGPA: 3.63
sGPA: 3.57 (somewhat padded. Highlights are A's in physics I and II, organic chem II, and Microbio)
MCAT: 506
Clinical Experience: Summer 2016 I shadowed at a major academic medical center (affiliated with my undergrad)
Research: 3.5 years of undergrad research with a senior honors thesis; two abstracts published, will be a mid-author on a paper published by my lab next year.
Other EC's: part of a non-profit organization that works to de-stigmatize disabilities in certain countries, heavily involved in on-campus Christian ministries (several leadership roles), worked for a non-profit that

I would like to ask for advice on what I should do with my gap year. I am currently signed up to re-take the MCAT in September. As you can see, I did not do so well on my first attempt. Part of that was due to lack of preparation, as I did well on a couple practice tests (514+) and thought I could kind of just go in there and "wing it". Obviously, I realize I was wrong, and am ready to buckle down these next few months to prepare for it the right way.

Now, I am a bit unsure of some decisions I have to make. I currently have an offer to do research (unpaid) during my gap year in a lab at a top 5 ranked Neurosurgery Department in a major academic medical center. I was told that this will allow me to get my name on a publication or two along with several conference abstracts. Along with this, I will have the opportunity to attend medical school/resident level neuroanatomy and dissection courses, as well as shadow members of the Department of Neurosurgery in both the clinic and the operating room.

However, I was also recently accepted off of the waitlist for Georgetown's SMP program. When I was talking to one of the program directors, I was told that my MCAT score is "borderline" for what usually gets accepted into medical school during the year of the SMP, and that I would need to try get that score up. The program director advised that if I wanted to retake the MCAT I would have to do it before the SMP starts (so late July or Early August). This personally feels somewhat rushed to me and I am not sure if I should rush the MCAT. Granted, I also don't know if an extra 3 or 4 weeks or prepping will make a huge different in my score.

I was wondering what would be my best plan moving ahead? I am very impressed with the SMP program's reputation and structure in providing its students with a solid foundation to handle medical school coursework (This is why I in fact applied to the program). It also seems to have strong ties/connections with several med schools. however I am not sure if this SMP would make up for other deficiencies in my application that I was told about (low MCAT, lack of clinical). Additionally, I was also told by another advisor at my undergrad that my GPA is not "low enough" to be enhanced by an SMP.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt you are really a typical candidate for SMP (without seeing grade trends, I really cant judge.
You have significant research and publications
Georgetown, while connected, is expensive and likely to have no more additional impact on your application
A good MCAT and significant clinical volunteering / community service is what you need.
Spend money on an MCAT prep course

Two Thumbs down on SMP

What would you say is a "typical candidate" for SMP?

Also, it's like you read my mind, since I am actually considering an MCAT prep course. Which company would you recommend and would this be a better option than self studying? If so, why?