Gap year timeline help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kenzmed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I posted this in the DO section and wanted to see if anyone in the MD forums have some advice on this:
I need some suggestions on how I should approach the MCAT and application cycle for next year. I'm currently a second semester junior with plans of taking a gap year. Since COVID hit I wasn't able to go abroad this year so I'm planning to study abroad my last semester but I'm not too sure how it would work out since I still have to take my MCAT my senior year. I'm supposed to be doing prep jan-april of my last semester (when abroad) and then come back and take the exam and start working on my application to submit in may. My advisor suggested that I take the exam in may (after I graduate) and have my application ready beforehand. If I don't get my desired score, would I be able to take it again and submit another score while the application is still in process? I'm not sure how well studying abroad would work with MCAT prep but I'm really trying to make it work. I've always wanted to go abroad but if it puts me further behind and the cons outweigh the pros, I don't think it would be worth it. Any advice/suggestions help!

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest taking another gap year if you want to go abroad (which I think sounds like a great opportunity). Why would you even want to be studying for the MCAT in a whole different country while you could be enjoying your time out there instead.

Reactions: 2 users