Gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashley61783

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a rising junior and have to make a decision soon about whether or not I should be taking a gap year prior to applying to medical school. This past semester I suffered from 2 concussions causing my GPA to drop, for this past semester alone my GPA will be at best a 3.1, dropping my cum to a 3.37. Unfortunately included in that 3.1 is orgo 2, physics 2, and cell. Prior to this semester I was planning on taking the MCAT in January so I planned out my schedule for next semester to have room for studying for it however, with my current grades is this a good idea? (Obviously if I do decide on a gap year I will be pushing off the MCAT a year) Assuming I will (hopefully) not be concussed at all next year I am pretty confident I can get in 2 clean semesters of mostly A's. I am also a division 1 athlete who also participates in undergrad research, am working a clinical research internship over the summer, and volunteer about 3 hours per week so my EC's are pretty solid, its just the GPA which is in the way. I am pretty open to DO and podiatry school as well.

Members don't see this ad.

A gap year has never killed anyone

Reactions: 1 user