Gas and critical care:Is this really the future?

Started by timtye78
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

timtye78

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Upper levels, attendings:

Seriously, for those of you in private practice included: As a specialty, should we set our sights on taking over ICU medicine? My program recently (my class) increased our ICU load/rotations due to the new interest of the ASA in critical care medicine. I have heard lectures on the interest of newer terminology such as 'Perioperative' physician and the de-emphasis of the 'simple' term anesthesiologist.

CCM lacks resident/graduate interest, as per this lecturer, because lack of monetary motivation. Does the ASA see the CCM field as a fail-safe for the profession or is this a viable opportunity for the new anesthesiologists?

From my limited viewpoint, it seems that pulmonologists, CV surgeons, and trauma docs run the icus, why can't we just let them 'do their thing?'
 
timtye78 said:
Upper levels, attendings:

Seriously, for those of you in private practice included: As a specialty, should we set our sights on taking over ICU medicine? My program recently (my class) increased our ICU load/rotations due to the new interest of the ASA in critical care medicine. I have heard lectures on the interest of newer terminology such as 'Perioperative' physician and the de-emphasis of the 'simple' term anesthesiologist.

CCM lacks resident/graduate interest, as per this lecturer, because lack of monetary motivation. Does the ASA see the CCM field as a fail-safe for the profession or is this a viable opportunity for the new anesthesiologists?

From my limited viewpoint, it seems that pulmonologists, CV surgeons, and trauma docs run the icus, why can't we just let them 'do their thing?'

Some program director somewhere that Iinterviewed - it is all a blur so I can't remember where - Said that he thought the emphasis on critical care was going to be important because of the aging population and there was going to be a lot sicker patients going to surgery so the ICU was going to be a peri-operative place for a lot of patients of the future.
 
I was also told by surgery and pulmonary CC attendings that the hospitals of the future will be nothing but jumbo-size ICUs for only the sickest patients.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Given that, currently, only 1/3 the unit beds across the nation are staffed by intensivists and the whole Leapfrog initiative will probably drive the hospitals to require the training to staff the units. I would tend to think that demand (and hopefully, although, not necessarily compensation) should also increase for all intensivists.

Wise attgs (esp any currently in mixed icu/or practice), please comment for the benefit of us up & coming pups.
 
I believe it is the wave of the future....but then, I'm an intensivist....either way you go...you will be a better gas passer if you do more training.
 
can anybody comment on the way it's done in Europe? From what I understand anesthesiologist in Europe get a lot more training in CC and run nearly all of the ICUs.
 
I have never practiced there, but I have met and trained with guys from the UK. It appears that over there, "perioperative physicians" assume a much larger role in pre-op preparation and post op care.....with much less involvement from other specialty consultants.

Part of the reason is the way folks are paid over there......We get paid a LOT less to spend time outside of the OR, so most of us would rather not go to the ICU.