JohnDoeDDS

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
Status
Ok guys. I knoiw these questions are easy but for some reason I am really confused when I am doing them. Can someone please explain and help me out how to solve these types of questions? I would appreciate it thanks.

Ques:

What is the molecular weight of an uknown gas if 2.5g of it occupies 2L at 630 torr and a temp of 600K?

I do the P1/V1=P2/V2
Find V2.
Find the density by diving 2.5/2
Then 1.25=Mass/V2

But I never get the right answer and it takes me at least 10 minutes! So what am I doing wrong and are there any shortcuts to this? Thanks in advance.

DMD-2-B

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
Status
JohnDoeDDS said:
Ok guys. I knoiw these questions are easy but for some reason I am really confused when I am doing them. Can someone please explain and help me out how to solve these types of questions? I would appreciate it thanks.

Ques:

What is the molecular weight of an uknown gas if 2.5g of it occupies 2L at 630 torr and a temp of 600K?

I do the P1/V1=P2/V2
Find V2.
Then 1.25=Mass/V2

But I never get the right answer and it takes me at least 10 minutes! So what am I doing wrong and are there any shortcuts to this? Thanks in advance.
I think this is a PV=nRT question. Leave n as your unknown and solve for it with the given info. Then use the weight (2.5g) to get the molecular weight from the number of moles. Thats how I'd do it.

egots

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2 P1 = 1 atm, T1= 273 k, T2= 600, P2= about 1 atm (dont need to be exact) V2=2

2.5 g / V1 (L) * (22.4 L/mol) = X g/mol

u could use PV = NRT i just would rather avoid dealing with constants cuz its a pain in the ass for me when i deal with .08

keibee82

Blue_tooth...
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
OC
Status
Pre-Dental
is the answer 74.3g?

Resonance

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
JohnDoeDDS said:

Ques:

I do the P1/V1=P2/V2
Find V2.
Then 1.25=Mass/V2

I like to use the equation: density = (P x (Molar Mass)) / RT, that seems to be the fastest, just don't forget to convert torrs to atms. I hate this kaplan question, I just did it last night.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
JohnDoeDDS said:

Ques:

I do the P1/V1=P2/V2
Find V2.
Then 1.25=Mass/V2

I got 71.599 g/mol . you should tell me what the answer is so we can help u.