Gay-Friendly Pharmacy Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asc05

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a P4 at a southeastern College of Pharmacy. I'm considering applying for residencies next year, most likely in Managed Care.

After being mostly in the closet during pharmacy school, I'm looking for a residency program that is gay-friendly, as well as one that will provide benefits for my same-sex spouse. Any thoughts on any programs (managed care or traditional PGY1) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I believe the VA now provides same-sex spouse benefits. Also, states where same-sex marriage is legal provide benefits (since the repeal of DOMA by the supreme court), so you could start with those. As far as specific residencies, you'll find that any residency (or workplace in general) will be a mix of people with different viewpoints, so some people might embrace your sexuality out while others will be quite homophobic and you won't want to talk to them about it. Probably any program in a larger city in the Northeast or West Coast would be fine.

many state-hospitals provide benefits to same sex spouse (could be decided by their board of trustees)
you may need to google their benefits policy

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for the advice. I appreciate it. :)

apply to a residency in san francisco. you will love the city life!

SF on a resident's salary? Good luck with affording that. It will be fun and all, but there are other cheaper options (e.g. Philly). A studio in the Sunset in SF (the coldest neighborhood) runs for at least $1500 a month.

come to Portland, its super progressive (lifestyle and pharmacy)

What does it mean for a residency to be "gay-friendly" outside of benefits? Come to Texas where we don't define other people by their sexuality.

Reactions: 2 users
I live in the heart of the south, but we have tons of gay people at my hospital :) But I think there are no 30+ states where same sex marriages are recognized, so benefits would be available in all of those, plus most places in the others will offer them I think. But ya, there are no specific "gay friendly" or "gay unfriendly" residences