GBMC Prelim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GuyuteJr

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the deal with Greater Baltimore Medical Center for a prelim spot? One post says it's the "most sought after" in the area, and another says it's going "downhill". I interviewed there a few weeks back. I know the ICU time was a problem in the past but they are changing it to q4 on, q4 off. This seems like it will eliminate any threat of reaching 80 hours per week. Plus, they seem real strict at capping the patients you personally carry on the floor at five. In my opinion, this program seems real solid. Other prelim programs I've seen are are q3 in the unit, and for those with a night float, you lose the that day off that you would have if you were on overnight call. In terms of cushiness, being an intern means you're going to have a ton of work to do no matter where you go. Not to mention, since it's prelim, it's only a year anyway. I also think Baltimore is a great city. So, I'd just like to open this discussion about GBMC back up. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I can give my 2 cents about GBMC. Although the q 4 on q 4 off thing sounds good, many of the prelims can do almost 4 months of ICU medicine the way the schedule works out! Also, as I said with my last post, there is no night float for interns, and even if you get out at one, you will be so tired from all of the psych admissions and alcoholics and rule out MIs that you will not enjoy that half day. As I said before, if you want to be near Baltimore, I would follow my strategy and go to Christiana Care where there is only 2 months of ICU, 4 electives and call on the wards is q 6 with NIGHT FLOAT for interns, meaning you only take overnight call twice a month!!! YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your input country belle. I hear what you're saying in comparing the two programs. The only thing is that I want to be in a city, Baltimore being one of them. I can't see there being that much to do socially outside the hospital in Delaware without having to drive somewhere for over an hour to someplace like Baltimore or Philly.

Originally posted by GuyuteJr
Thanks for your input country belle. I hear what you're saying in comparing the two programs. The only thing is that I want to be in a city, Baltimore being one of them. I can't see there being that much to do socially outside the hospital in Delaware without having to drive somewhere for over an hour to someplace like Baltimore or Philly.

wow. first time i've heard somebody say that they want to be in Baltimore. Anyways, GBMC is in a nice location (not in the city), but I haven't heard too strong things about the program too (in terms of their training). I'd recommend looking at Mercy, Union Memorial, or even some of the University programs in Baltimore for a prelim year over GBMC.