Please help! Few interview for prelim program, should I be worried now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xkn123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a US senior student in the Midwest and applying to internal medicine prelim year for radiology residency. I applied 15 programs for internal medicine prelim program per my PD's recommendation, saying I can get interview from most of them. So far I get decent number of radiology interviews but only one internal med prelim interview from my home school and I don't know why. For many institutions I got interviews from their radiology but not internal medicine. Is it still too early or should I talk to someone now?
My step 1 is 242, step 2 is 246, middle one third in MSPE. 2 publications and no other problems. Not super competitive in radiology but should be good enough for internal medicine prelim year programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I'm a US senior student in the Midwest and applying to internal medicine prelim year for radiology residency. I applied 15 programs for internal medicine prelim program per my PD's recommendation, saying I can get interview from most of them. So far I get decent number of radiology interviews but only one internal med prelim interview from my home school and I don't know why. For many institutions I got interviews from their radiology but not internal medicine. Is it still too early or should I talk to someone now?
My step 1 is 242, step 2 is 246, middle one third in MSPE. 2 publications and no other problems. Not super competitive in radiology but should be good enough for internal medicine prelim year programs.
Apparently not...

Though frankly applying to only 15 programs is probably part of the problem...a 10-20% return would be reasonable and that would be about 2-3...

You may want to reach out to the radiology programs that have given interviews to ask their IM programs to review your application.