Geisel v Tufts v Sidney Kimmel (Jefferson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hhhhhhhhh

Reaction score
SOS please help me decide I'm so so lost.

Tufts:
Pros:
-Diverse patient population
-Large alumni network
-Like the location of the match list - similar to Geisel
-Have the city of boston but aren't necessarily in the middle of everything - less of a distraction

Cons:
-Larger class size
-Cost of living
-Almost 100k a year
-Graded clerkships

Geisel:
Pros:
-Small class size - real sense of community reminds me of my undergrad
-Ability to do clinical rotations in locations outside of NH - Cali, Alaska, Connecticut, Montana
-Like the location of the match list
-Love the feel of the campus when I visited - very ~academic feeling~ if that makes any sense

Cons:
-Worried about feeling separated from the world/lack of support
-Patient population not generally diverse
-Was told that you generally need a car
-almost 100k a year

Jefferson:
Pros:
-Being in a city - from the Philly area! (Philly is on the cheaper end for a city)
-Diverse patient population
-Seems like they have a great work-life balance (great QoL)
-Large alumni network

Cons:
-Larger class size
-Don't really care about ortho/optho (big pull for them)
-Worry about the distraction of being directly in the center of a major city (pro and a con)
-Not as generally high regarded as the other two (not sure how true this actually is?)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think based off your pros/cons location and a smaller class size is a big factor - Geisel seems like somewhere you would feel comfortable with the location. Tufts is pretty much in the middle of Boston.

I know current + graduated students from all three schools... location makes a HUGE difference. There are students at Geisel who thought they would be okay in the rural location and learn to not care about the lack of patient diversity but are unhappy and travel literally every weekend to NYC or Boston. They frankly should not have gone to school in Hanover and let the ivy name woo them. (Also, you will definitely need a car at Dartmouth and I know that in the most recently graduated class roughly 50% of the class did those rotations you mentioned).

However, all three are great programs so you won't go wrong either way! Personally, based on your list, I would pick Tufts. It is in the middle of the city but is super commutable if you want the lack of distractions and sounds like just from your phrasing that you really like it.

Reactions: 1 users