Geisinger Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NY172

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with Geisinger's anesthesia residency program? I realize it is relatively new but there is little info on SDN on the program. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Its in Danville and the population is 5k. I liked the program based of my interview, but can't remember too many specifics

Its in Danville and the population is 5k. I liked the program based of my interview, but can't remember too many specifics

Any idea what their step 1 cutoff is or average step 1 score? Freida lists cutoff at 200, which seems low. Also, what "tier" program would Geisinger be considered? Mid-tier? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
The primary goal of Geisinger's Anesthesiology Residency is to provide residents with the clinical training, knowledge, skills, resources and experience to not only meet the requirements for board certification, but to become a safe, competent and professional consultant anesthesiologist.

The Division of Anesthesiology consists of 90 staff anesthesiologists, 10 interventional pain medicine physicians, 24 anesthesiology residents, 222 nurse anesthetists, and two regional anesthesia and acute pain service nurses currently providing anesthesia and pain medicine-related services at 11 facilities: 

• Geisinger Medical Center (GMC), Danville, PA
  • Geisinger Woodbine Outpatient Clinic, Danville, PA
  • Geisinger Shamokin Area Community Hospital (GSACH), a campus of GMC, Coal Township, PA
  • Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center (GWV), Wilkes-Barre, PA
  • Geisinger South Wilkes-Barre Hospital (GSWB), a campus of GWV, Wilkes-Barre, PA
  • Geisinger Bloomsburg Hospital (G-Bloom), Bloomsburg, PA
  • Geisinger Gray's Woods, State College, PA
  • Geisinger Community Medical Center, Scranton, PA
  • Geisinger Lewistown Hospital, Lewistown, PA
  • Geisinger Holy Spirit (GHS), Camp Hill, PA
  • AtlantiCare Health System, New Jersey
During the internship year (clinical base year) and first year of residency (CA-1 year), resident rotations will take place only at the two Danville facilities, located less than two miles from each other. In later years and during elective rotations, residents may participate in educational and training activities at GWV. Extensive technologic capability allows for real-time distance learning during conferences, without the commute.

$name

I don't have the stats in front of me but my guess is that this program is likely lower Tier; that said, it still may be a solid program.

Reactions: 1 user
Central and northeast PA is a wasteland.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed there, seemed like a reasonable program. Location is the biggest negative. My only other insight is that I was applying for "r" positions (as well as categorical) and they had one available (my principal reason for applying to the program). They neglected to tell me that they would no longer be offering the "r" position in the match untill my interview with the program director. Pretty Busch Leauge IMO. I probably still would have gone on the interview, but would have appreciated if they told me before I took a day off of residency.

Major medical center, one of...if not the top rural health systems in the country. Some big names on faculty. Everything except heart/lung transplant. Small program has serious perks, Call is night float. Intern year is a great mix. It’s “new” but actually had existed prior to eventually failed merger with Penn State Health a decade or so back.

If you’ve got family you’d be well-served to look into it as salary is quite high, insurance is fantastic, schools are very very good, and CoL is low.

It’s not middle of nowhere, rather, It’s middle of everything, close to nothing. Weekend trips to NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC are super easy.

Last edited:
Then again, rural Pennsylvania voted overwhelmingly for Trump. So, if you're a minority, think twice.

Pennsylvania Election Results 2016

Advertising weekend trips to NYC etc. is like saying that Death Valley is awesome, because it's only 2.5 hours from Las Vegas. With all due respect. When one is a resident, one doesn't/shouldn't have time for many trips. Otherwise, a nice rural area and a good big hospital can be very conducive to a great GME experience, even better than a fancy-shmancy big name program in an expensive big ****ty city.

Just out of curiosity, who are the big names on the faculty? (Not that it matters. I haven't learned much practical stuff from most of the big names in my residency; those who can't do, teach.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
Then again, rural Pennsylvania voted overwhelmingly for Trump. So, if you're a minority, think twice.

Advertising weekend trips to NYC etc. is like saying that Death Valley is awesome, because it's only 2.5 hours from Las Vegas. With all due respect. When one is a resident, one doesn't/shouldn't have time for many trips. Otherwise, a nice rural area and a good big hospital can be very conducive to a great GME experience, even better than a fancy-shmancy big name program in an expensive big ****ty city.

Urban Dictionary: Pennsyltucky

Just out of curiosity, who are the big names on the faculty? (Not that it matters. I haven't learned much practical stuff from most of the big names in my residency; those who can't do, teach.)

True. Some middle of nowhere’s are more nowhere than others.

I lived in small town PA for a while. The town was 94% White. Never seen anything like it. I chose the group though because I liked the feel of it. There were a couple of minority docs at work, but only one other black one besides me.

I actually liked it because I was treated quite well at the hospital and the patients were just so happy to have a female doc they didn't care I was black. Only had one negative patient experience and one negative out of the hospital experience with a confederate carrying truck of course. I do prefer small towns but as a black/minority person, you do have to keep in mind that you gotta drive far to get your hair done, to get the kind of food you prefer, to meet and mingle with other minorities and so on.

Going to the stores for food and shopping, I would get these little kids with big eyes sometimes just staring at me. Really staring. Honestly I think they had never seen a black person before or had seen very, very few. I did notice a lot of mixed kids in the playgrounds in the summer.

I probably would have stayed had it not been so damn cold.

Oh yeah, there were only two of us female docs too. Out of something like 70+ docs if I had to guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend works out there as an anesthesiologist. She likes it cause it pays well, hours are great and CoL is looooowwwww...

Interviewed there, seemed like a reasonable program. Location is the biggest negative. My only other insight is that I was applying for "r" positions (as well as categorical) and they had one available (my principal reason for applying to the program). They neglected to tell me that they would no longer be offering the "r" position in the match untill my interview with the program director. Pretty Busch Leauge IMO. I probably still would have gone on the interview, but would have appreciated if they told me before I took a day off of residency.

anyone have ideas on the best way to travel there? best close airport, shuttles/way of getting to danville...

Probably by flying into harrisburg and driving just over an hour north.
Just don't do it at night. Rural PA at night is like something out of one of the Michael Myers films. Scary as f... Especially in winter. I almost had a panic attack the time I did it. Being from TX, I am not used to the pitch blackness of the NE and SE because of their trees and no street lights.

Just don't do it at night. Rural PA at night is like something out of one of the Michael Myers films. Scary as f... Especially in winter. I almost had a panic attack the time I did it. Being from TX, I am not used to the pitch blackness of the NE and SE because of their trees and no street lights.

Fuel up and have nice headlights! although it is Confederate country so it is a real possibility if you're not Caucasian might be dangerous. Those hillbillies forgot the north won the civil war

Fuel up and have nice headlights! although it is Confederate country so it is a real possibility if you're not Caucasian might be dangerous. Those hillbillies forgot the north won the civil war
You do realize that PA was part of the Union during the Civil War, right?

Rural PA has more of a Children of the Corn vibe, anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

You do realize that PA was part of the Union during the Civil War, right?

Rural PA has more of a Children of the Corn vibe, anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Uhh yeah I do... Which is why it's ironic that there were so many people with Confederate flag around

"Philadelphia in the east, Pittsburgh in the west, and Alabama in the middle."
old joke

Reactions: 2 users
Southwest doesn't fly to harrisburg...

And the deer....so many deer.

Well there’s Baltimore or Philly. Or Delta, or American, or however many others that fly to Philly.
For sure. My opinion is that SW is by far the best option during interview season because of free cancellations and changes to flights. A flight to Pennsylvania is cross country for me, so it's nice to purchase a SW ticket that can be changed if i happen to get another interview back east and would like to kill two birds with one stone.

Well there’s Baltimore or Philly. Or Delta, or American, or however many others that fly to Philly.

Newark and Philly are the best bets, usually pretty cheap and 2.5 hours. Wilkes-Barre, Scranton, and Williamsport are options too.