GEMS Georgetown 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Glad to hear you guys had a great time! Can someone let us know how many they interviewed today? Did they say how many applied and if the class size will stay the same as previous years? Any general info about the program and interview would be appreciated!
 
Pretty much what webbster said up there. Here's my 2 cents:

1) Dont be nervous - these people are really here to help you and they want to see you succeed. Keep that in mind if you start falling apart.

2) Be professional - there were alot of highly qualified people there and I honestly could not rank anyone. Everybody seemed like they deserved to be there. There were even some Yale and Harvard students.

3) Be yourself - Mr. Taylor, Dr. Walker and Dr. Williams are such wise wise wise people and, just like Migs22 said from last year's thread, they'll be able to see any inconsistencies in your behavior with ease. This goes for the interviewers and current GEMS as well. The caliber of these people is just, wow.

As for me, it went great. My 2 interviewers were very laid back and it was very conversational, which was so cool. They made me feel very comfortable so I was able to open up easily. Again, remember that these folks want to see you win.

I hope everyone here gets accepted into the program. Hope to see u all in July! I'm gonna lay off the SDN fumes for a bit because this waiting period is gonna be brutal and mashing F5 nonstop for the next month wont help😀.
 
Pretty much what webbster said up there. Here's my 2 cents:

1) Dont be nervous - these people are really here to help you and they want to see you succeed. Keep that in mind if you start falling apart.

2) Be professional - there were alot of highly qualified people there and I honestly could not rank anyone. Everybody seemed like they deserved to be there. There were even some Yale and Harvard students.

3) Be yourself - Mr. Taylor, Dr. Walker and Dr. Williams are such wise wise wise people and, just like Migs22 said from last year's thread, they'll be able to see any inconsistencies in your behavior with ease. This goes for the interviewers and current GEMS as well. The caliber of these people is just, wow.

As for me, it went great. My 2 interviewers were very laid back and it was very conversational, which was so cool. They made me feel very comfortable so I was able to open up easily. Again, remember that these folks want to see you win.

I hope everyone here gets accepted into the program. Hope to see u all in July! I'm gonna lay off the SDN fumes for a bit because this waiting period is gonna be brutal and mashing F5 nonstop for the next month wont help😀.

Looking back, I think my interviews also went well, even though I was very nervous during my second interview. I remember calming down, and the interview becoming a bit more conversational, as we basically talked about what the program was all about. For people waiting for May 4th, the best advice is to be yourself and you will also do well. Maxim3L, I feel you on the waiting part. It's also killing me, and it hasn't even been a day yet!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just had my interview today. All I can say is WOW!!!

Great program. Great Support System. Proven to work...
Lots of hard work and a long road ahead🙂

For those interviewing May 4th, you will leave Georgetown with ALL your questions and concerns answered.

My pointers for the day:

1. Be yourself
2. Know something about Georgetown
(might be asked during your interview)
3. Be prepared to spend 10 hours there
4. Be yourself

Any specific questions, please feel free to message me.

To all others, Good Luck.You will do fine. Just relax and be yourself (if I haven't stressed this enough)


I absolutely agree with everything above.

In addition, Mr. Taylor is amazing! I won't say what he did, but all of you interviewing on May 4, will know what I am talking about.

I am happy to have meet everyone at the interview. Everyone there were definitely qualified for the program and I hope I can join all of you in July as part of the GEMS class.

Good luck to everyone with the admission process and good luck to those interviewing on May 4! :luck::luck::luck::xf::xf::xf:

As said before, Dean Williams, Mr. Taylor, Dr. Walker and all the GEMS student are there to help you and feel comfortable. Just enjoy your day!🙂
 
There were 22 present (correct me if I'm wrong... I don't have the sheet of names in front of me right now).

I will add that one of my favorite parts of the interview day was the last session where current and former GEMS students answered any remaining questions that we had. It was really inspiring to be surrounded by the entire GEMS family... even busy 3rd years took time out of their schedules to come meet us. One fourth year emphasized how the GEMS community really is like a family, and his example was that he will be getting married to one of his classmates during his GEMS year and his best man was a fellow GEMS-er as well!

At one point, we gave a round of applause to all the fourth years who will be graduating in 27 days, and it was an honor to celebrate their success. It was amazing to see how far everyone had come despite the obstacles and challenges they faced in life. I think that's one special aspect of this program... you will be surrounded by a group of peers who have their own story and each and everyone of us took a different path, which has led us to where we are now. And I like that diversity in experience and background.
 
Georgetown is not directly connected to the DC Metro system, but there is a bus system called the DC Circulator, which has a Georgetown-Union Station route: http://www.dccirculator.com/routemap.html. Refer to the orange colored route on the map. Buses run every 10 minutes (more or less) and the fare is $1. From Union Station, you would board the bus (bus stop is in front of the Station) heading towards the direction of Georgetown, then get off before Reservoir Road NW.
 
Hey does anyone know if there is a train service from union station to Georgetown?

There is no metro station in Georgetown, as the closest station is Rosslyn, served by the Blue Line. From Union Station, you can take the Red Line to Metro Center and transfer to the Blue Line, and stop at Rosslyn, and take the GUTS shuttle directly to campus, which should take less than 10 minutes from the station.

You could also take the Red Line from Union to Dupont Circle, as I believe there is a Georgetown shuttle that goes there as well. I had to learn this the hard way, on the day of the interview, haha.
 
Last edited:
hi all

i have a may 4th interview, and would like to know the best way to prepare. should i expect pure biology and orgo or biology and biochemistry?
 
Thanks Flownominal and Quite contrary...I will be getting into DC at 7am and need the quickest way to georgetown.
 
No doubt. The website says you'l be contacted by tomorrow so let's hope for some calls. Post if you get a call!😀

..and I cannot stop laughing over Doc Walkers imitation of a bad doctor. He would be great for stand-up.

FYI, applications for the GEMS program are STILL being reviewed and please don't ask how I know.
 
Thanks Flownominal and Quite contrary...I will be getting into DC at 7am and need the quickest way to georgetown.

Get to DC earlier than 7am if you can help it, and make sure to take the train as soon as possible, as morning traffic can be quite hectic. A trip from Union to points close is going to take at least a half-hour, but I'm sure you can make it to the Med-Dent building before 8am.
 
I received a rejection letter in the mail 🙁. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what my next step should be? I am planning to retake my MCAT in July-August..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Best wishes to all that are still waiting for a call! Keep your heads up, and never give up. We're all in this together.
 
Best wishes to all that are still waiting for a call! Keep your heads up, and never give up. We're all in this together.

Yes, good luck to everyone who is still waiting for a call. I will say a prayer for everyone tonight.

Remember, be positive and be patient.

:luck::luck::luck::xf::xf::xf:
 
Best wishes to all that are still waiting for a call! Keep your heads up, and never give up. We're all in this together.

A-men, Flow.

One more thing I forgot to add is that there was plenty of parking available when I got there at about 7:05AM. Only thing is that its 4hr parking so you'll have to put in coins every 4 hours. In the worst case that you get a ticket, it is $24 for meter expiry.
 
Hey Guys and Gals:

Make sure to wash your hands all the time and make sure to use sanitizers if you can't wash your hands. Cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough too. If anyone develop flu like symptoms, make sure to seek the proper medical attention if necessary. Stay healthy and take your vitamins too.

Be weary of the Swine Flu (H1N1 strain, normally associated with pigs). It is already deemed a Public Health Emergency by WHO and so make sure to practice with caution during this time of uncertainty.
 
Anyone interested in meeting up before the interview? I will be arriving in DC Saturday night and will most likely leave Tuesday morning. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks.
 
Hey guys, just wondering how the 5/4thers are doing. I'm surprised by how quiet it is in here. It was buzzing before 4/20.
 
Hey guys, just wondering how the 5/4thers are doing. I'm surprised by how quiet it is in here. It was buzzing before 4/20.


ive been doing ok. trying to work as much as i can and save up money for this trip.. i cant believe its less than a week away!!! lol, i wish the 4/20ers were more talkative about their interview experience. but i imagine that next tuesday we will all be trading stories about how it went. but you are right, it has been uncharacteristically quiet this last week. youre a 5/4ther too arent you? when will you be arriving?
 
Yea, it has been pretty quiet here! I will be arriving Sunday afternoon. We are getting pretty close to 5/04!
 
I guess the 5/4ers are less jumpy than we were, as they understand a bit more about what is going on in the interview. But anyway, I'm going to maintain the noise in this thread, haha.

5/4ers, are you guys excited or what? I sure am for you all!
 
I am pretty excited! I can only imagine how hard it is going to be to wait to hear back from them! Did they give a specific date or do we just have to wait till 5/31.
 
Sup Tachy, no, I was actually a 4/20er...and I feel you on the saving money part. Ever since finding out I had a chance,I've been making an extra effort to save money.

Nice to see yall back on! I'm excited for you 5/4thers!

As for when we'll hear back, the earliest last year was May 18th.
ive been doing ok. trying to work as much as i can and save up money for this trip.. i cant believe its less than a week away!!! lol, i wish the 4/20ers were more talkative about their interview experience. but i imagine that next tuesday we will all be trading stories about how it went. but you are right, it has been uncharacteristically quiet this last week. youre a 5/4ther too arent you? when will you be arriving?
 
Sup Tachy, no, I was actually a 4/20er...and I feel you on the saving money part. Ever since finding out I had a chance,I've been making an extra effort to save money.

Nice to see yall back on! I'm excited for you 5/4thers!

As for when we'll hear back, the earliest last year was May 18th.

Let's just hope that we can hear back even earlier this year... I'm trying not to think about it though in order to keep my sanity.
 
^ Yea, seriously, not to sound like I am complaining, which I guess I am, but I have already spent over $650 for this trip (hotel, ticket, suit, etc) and I tried my best to find good deals for everything!
 
^ Yea, seriously, not to sound like I am complaining, which I guess I am, but I have already spent over $650 for this trip (hotel, ticket, suit, etc) and I tried my best to find good deals for everything!

I know how you feel. I considered not coming to the interview at all, due to not having any money for anything. I had to skip on my phone bill, and was able to get my only suit fixed up, as well as risking not being able to make it on time for my midnight shift the next day. Do whatever you have to in order to make it to the interview, and it will be worth it. It was for me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Let's just hope that we can hear back even earlier this year... I'm trying not to think about it though in order to keep my sanity.


for that reason, i am glad to have an interview in may...less time to wait to hear back..BOY OH BOY i hope i get in!! :luck::luck::scared::luck::luck:
 
for that reason, i am glad to have an interview in may...less time to wait to hear back..BOY OH BOY i hope i get in!! :luck::luck::scared::luck::luck:

One thing that is getting me by everday is playing out my possible celebrations for when I get THE CALL (if I am blessed enough to get it). Who knows, maybe I will be too in shock to do anything like when Mr. Taylor called for the interview.
 
One thing that is getting me by everday is playing out my possible celebrations for when I get THE CALL (if I am blessed enough to get it). Who knows, maybe I will be too in shock to do anything like when Mr. Taylor called for the interview.

My thoughts exactly. I don't know what I would do, and I'm hoping to even get another call in the next few weeks. Chances are, it will be like the interview call, where the feeling won't sink in until really late...
 
I can't believe it's coming up so soon. The feeling of nervousness didn't really sink in until Tuesday night when I realized that I have less than 7 days for the show down.

The first thing I'm going to do if I get the call is go watch Terminator Salvation and then go bowling. Man, I haven't had any free time in a realllly long time. :meanie:
 
Can anyone please tell what information the interviewer has about us? Do they have our GEMS and AMCAS application with them to ask us questions from? Thanks.
 
Last edited:
All the best to Monday's batch. Only 17 days to go till we hopefully start getting acceptances!!!! Thats only 2 work weeks.
 
All the best to Monday's batch. Only 17 days to go till we hopefully start getting acceptances!!!! Thats only 2 work weeks.

I also wish the best to the Monday crew. I'm extremely excited for you guys. Also, still excited about the acceptance calls!
 
TWO DAYS!!! I feel like I'm more excited for the May 4thers than the May 4thers themselves.

Remember guys, be relaxed, professional, and natural, and all will be well. You guys will be in my prayers. Also, pray for me to get through finals, haha!
 
Just arrived, and i must say.. the historic charm of georgetown and the surrounding area is breathtaking. lol, the excitement was short lived and the anxiety has set in!!
 
Just arrived, and i must say.. the historic charm of georgetown and the surrounding area is breathtaking. lol, the excitement was short lived and the anxiety has set in!!

Watch the Bulls v Celtics game to calm your nerves. Works for me!!😀
 
TWO DAYS!!! I feel like I'm more excited for the May 4thers than the May 4thers themselves.

Remember guys, be relaxed, professional, and natural, and all will be well. You guys will be in my prayers. Also, pray for me to get through finals, haha!

:laugh: :laugh: this is probably for 1 or more of several reasons:
1. Its over for you so you are relaxed enough to advise them.
2. You know that once they are done interviewing decisions will go out.
 
Watch the Bulls v Celtics game to calm your nerves. Works for me!!😀

That series was amazing. Too bad the Bulls lost. nice name btw😀


...and I am also flipping my lid over tomorrow's interview. I wasnt this excited for my own! You may be onto something Guju.
 
That series was amazing. Too bad the Bulls lost. nice name btw😀


...and I am also flipping my lid over tomorrow's interview. I wasnt this excited for my own! You may be onto something Guju.

series? oh man, I am really out of touch with the outside world right now... well, three more days until I am done with undergrad...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
series? oh man, I am really out of touch with the outside world right now... well, three more days until I am done with undergrad...

congrats man. Bio major?

...also its raining cats n dogs in DC today just like our interview day, lol. Poor folks.
 
congrats man. Bio major?

...also its raining cats n dogs in DC today just like our interview day, lol. Poor folks.

Yes, indeed! Biology/Premed with a concentration in Vertebrate Physiology and almost Neuroscience. That is... if I can get through my Spanish final, haha.

I still hope the interviewees today are having a good time.
 
I'm sure they are having alot of fun. Can;t wait for the pouring of posts about the interview (i hope)
Yes, indeed! Biology/Premed with a concentration in Vertebrate Physiology and almost Neuroscience. That is... if I can get through my Spanish final, haha.

I still hope the interviewees today are having a good time.
 
I'm sure they are having alot of fun. Can;t wait for the pouring of posts about the interview (i hope)


Yup, I don't see how the May 4 batch won't be having fun. The interview day is so well organized and everyone are so friendly, it would be really hard not to have fun 🙂.

Well, I hope everyone will hear the good news soon =)
 
Well it should be over by now. Hopefully someone will not be too tired and start the post cascade!!😀