gen chem I issues!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sistahnik

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys!! I just wanted to see if I could get some advice. I am in the last portion of gen chem I and I'm trying to use the best method to study for the final exam. In the beginning I had a hard time grasping the concepts but I am better now. we had a total of 3 regular lecture exams and I passed 2 and bombed 1. our teacher is a first time instructor so there was some issues with understanding their teaching approach. anyhow, I am only holding myself responsible for my lack of knowledge in chem I, but I plan to make up for the failure on this final exam. please help, I need some tips. I believe I have over 2 weeks to relearn what I need to know :( :( but if I have some type of plan I know that I can do it. thanks in advance. I meant to post this in pre allo sorry!! if a moderator wants to delete one of the threads please delete this one.

Members don't see this ad.

-Probably the best thing to do is spend time going over the old exams (particuarly the one you bombed) making sure that you understand why you missed the questions that you did and the relearning the concepts that you didn't understand the first time around

-Use the previous exams as a guide to which topics the professor feels are important and focus your studies on those topics.

-Do the homework problems at the end of the chapters covered in your book

Just so you know, I think I bombed one of the lecture exams in every chemistry class I've taken. Actually, thinking about it, I always bombed the 3rd exam.... By the end of the semester it's just so hard to study!

thank you so much for the reply. I actually passed the last test we just had. I was so excited. so I failed 1 exam and passed 2, now we are going to take the final exam in 2wks. :eek: :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations...

I went though hell with Gen Chem I...and was soo happy when I finally passed it!

I share your pain...and now JOY!!!

Good luck on the final. My Chem 1 final is next week and we don't get a review or old tests. We have to figure it all out on our own. What I have been doing is going over old homework and using a book called 3000 solved problems in chemistry by david goldberg.

thanks yosh and nate!! I will be glad when its over, actually I will have chem II in the next semester. I will try to find the david goldberg book and use that for the final and chem II. thanks again.

There are a lot of internet resources about Gen chem. I actualy took it online this past fall. Just do a google search and look for sites that are from universities...Gen chem is pretty much the same from school to school. Good luck! I have my chem II final in a week! :scared:

hey wickliffe, was the information new in chem II or was it all the stuff that was covered in chem I. like I said before I had a rough time in chem I and I want to go right into the second half instead of putting it off til the fall, I'm just not sure what to expect from the material covered. thanks.

in my case, chem II was just a more detailed version of chem I, the only thing is I took them at seperate universties

so are you saying that they reviewed everything again? like for instance molarity is one of those things I had trouble with but would love to review again. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is this, is it ok to take chem II next semester even though I had difficulties in the first half? I know you are at a different school but I guess chem is chem, only difference would be the instructors. thanks.

I would take chem II as soon as possible b/c the longer you wait, the more chem I you are going to forget. Our class reviewed Chem I stuff as we went along, so if someone had problems understanding a certain concept that was needed our professor would review that stuff.

that's what I thought! and on top of that, this is the last semester they are using the books we have. I and II use the same book so if I don't take it now I'll have to rid of the book I have for a new one. your advice is exactly the same as someone else's I go to school with, thanks for your help I just want this over!!

I don't blame you, I hate Chem! I would definitely take it with the same book you have also because the curriculum might change with a new book. I still have to take Bio-Organic Chem next semester...and it's at 8AM!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
wow thats a load but you can do it!! I am taking chem II and college algebra next semester!! I'm not worried though I'll be fine.

well guys I got my grades back. I received an A in composition II and a D in gen chem I :( :( . I am not going to give up! I am in my first session of chem II and this instructor is great so far. she is actually reviewing some of the previous chapters for us. (WOW!!!), what a great thing to do for the class. :D :D . thanks for all the advice you guys have given me I appreciate it! :thumbup: :thumbup: in this class we actually have a TA to do study groups with so its all around good this time!!! :clap: :clap:

Nate, I found that study guide 3000 solved problems thanks a bunch! :thumbup:

good luck in chem II this summer!
I finished chem II last spring semester, and i thought it was a bit easier than chem I in the sense that it was less content. It's mostly about equilibrium, kinetics, acid/base equilibria, also redox reactions including batteries. I enjoyed chem II. :) gotta take organic next fall, don't know if i'll like that one though :(

thanks spongiebob!! I appreciate the well wishes. I enjoyed class today and you're right all about equilibrium, acid/bases, and kinetics. did you have to use alot of the molarity and stoichiometry? are these two concepts the bases for chem I and II?

Just wanted to say good luck. I also, am *terible* at Chemistry and just finished Chem 1 this semester with a C :( That is the first C on my transcript and it was very dissapointing to get that. I'm not going to let it worry me though.

This summer I am taking Intermediate Algebra to brush up on my algebra before taking chem 2 and college algebra.

I am taking Chem 2 along with College Algebra next semester and 3 other easier classes.

I guess it must depend on the instructor/school. Mine for Chem 1 was *terrible* but I don't blame my C on her, only myself. I have heard that Chem 2 at my school is WAY WAY harder than Chem 1. I know quite a few people in Chem 2 this semester who made A's in Chem 1 but were barely passing Chem 2 :( So I am a bit nervous about taking it personally. I am not good with stiocheometry (I know I spelled that wrong....)

I really don't think that I grasped how much time I needed to put into this class (which for me is hours) until the second half, and by then I had one test I flunked and one I barely passed. The next test I got a B on but it was too late top bring my grade up overall for the class so I ended up with a C. Oh well, you live and you learn.

I am just hoping Organic Chem will be easier for me :) My instructor told me that a lot of students who struggle with general chem (because of the math mainly) do much much better with organic chem. I hope I am one of those. I am normally a straight A student, but chem just serioulsy gets me.

MamaMD

hey mamamd!! I am taking chem II and college algebra this semester. so far so good! :D my instructor is great. If I could've gotten that C, then I would be a happy camper right now. I'm not going to let the D get me down though, I will just repeat it when the time comes. not sure I'm gonna interrupt my current schedule of classes to repeat it. I still have to take phy I/II, org I/II and one more bio. so I am moving right along in order to take the mcat next year(05)!! thanks for the reply :thumbup:

Ughh I just found out they are changing our book/edition for next semester as well! But really, I mean is the context going to change much? I think I am just going to keep my same book and hope that will be ok, and if its not I'll just get the new one.

MamaMD

hey mamamd!! there are several ppl in my chem II class that are using books frome either different schools or different editions, so I guess using the same book that you have is alright. good luck with your class.

yes stiochiometry is always important, as in determining the rate of decomposition/appearance, rate laws, shift of reaction, etc + molarity or concentration as well.

NEVER FORGET LECHATELIER'S PRINCIPLE! it's so useful

i thought the book we used was pretty good, "chemistry" by fay/mcmurry fourth edition.

BEST WISHES :)

thanks spongiebob!! I'm doing ok so far in chemII so that's a plus. I just want to be done with this and move on to something different like physics or something. :laugh: :laugh:

sistahnik said:
thanks spongiebob!! I appreciate the well wishes. I enjoyed class today and you're right all about equilibrium, acid/bases, and kinetics. did you have to use alot of the molarity and stoichiometry? are these two concepts the bases for chem I and II?

You'll need molarity for some of the equilibrium problems. Go back and review it and work some problems if you have to.

And now I will give you the magic formula for success in Gen Chem:

DO ALL THE HOMEWORK PROBLEMS AT LEAST THREE TIMES.

hey samenewme! thanks for the advice. that's the one thing that everyone seems to agree on. the homework problems are very popular, so I guess you guys know what you are talking about. thanks again got to go, we have to start our lab in about 5 minutes!! :thumbup: