This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medscie158

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Currently applying this cycle with only one WL so far and no other II. I've started to accept that I'm probably going to have to reapply. I'm first generation and figuring out college/med school has not been easy to say the least. I have a 3.65 cGPA and a 3.56 sGPA (strong upward trend) on this cycle's application as well as two MCATs from the summer a 504 and a 505. (I know two retakes close together looks bad but I felt like my hand was forced because I had already submitted my primaries due to my MCAT being cancelled and rescheduled, I got an abysmal CARS score the first time after never scoring below 128 on practice and felt it was necessary to retake just to get my CARS score up, which I did, but my overall score only moved one point). My GPA will be 3.7 when I graduate next semester which is one positive. I'm assuming my MCAT is what is preventing me from getting an A or II. I really don't want to retake as it was the hardest thing I have ever done and took a large toll on me mentally but it's looking like that's my only option if I want to reapply next cycle and have a chance. Also not sure what to do in my gap year at all or when to even retake my MCAT. Feeling very very lost and really just need some guidance. I can give more details about the rest of my app if anyone wants more info.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're GPA is going to be 3.7 then congratulations. I think your gap year I would recommend really studying for the MCAT and attempting to crush it like getting a 515. Now your stats could get you into a DO school. Your main issue is the MCAT which is what I would recommend you to work on.

A 504/505 is crushing your MD application. You're more than competitive at any DO school, but for MD, you'll need at minimum a 510. However, since you've already taken it twice, I think you'll need around a 515 to be safe.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
No, the dream is to get my MD
It might be a good time to modify the dream...unless you can increase your MCAT score by a lot, and have great EC's and LOR's.

Reactions: 4 users
Will you forego a career in medicine if you are not accepted to a MD school ?
Most definitely not. I just felt that it was fair to give myself a chance at MD first. Being a doctor is the true dream.

It might be a good time to modify the dream...unless you can increase your MCAT score by a lot, and have great EC's and LOR's.
I’m going to try and fix that MCAT score. I believe that my EC and LOR are strong and that’s what got me a MD interview. But I do recognize that I will be applying to DO schools next cycle. I was truthfully just looking for any hope at getting into an MD school this cycle or next.

As others have said, if your goal is MD, you need to aim for a 515+ Mcat at this point. It’s not an insurmountable goal. You need to approach studying the right way , likely from scratch because the 505 suggests you have gaps in your understanding of content. There are tried and true strategies for getting high scores on the three other sections besides CARS.