Gen Chem: Radicals are Uncharged?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

justadream

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm probably forgetting something super basic but for some reason, I can't seem to rationalize how a radical like:

lDLwC.jpg


is uncharged.

Can someone remind me of the difference between what I have above and "Br-"?
 
I'm probably forgetting something super basic but for some reason, I can't seem to rationalize how a radical like:

lDLwC.jpg


is uncharged.

Can someone remind me of the difference between what I have above and "Br-"?
Bromine in it's elemental state exists as Br2(l). Bromine is a group 7 element therefore having 7 valence electrons individually (they want one more to achieve the nobel gas configuration). To do this, they simply share electrons. Bromine can also steal an electron from other metals, forcing a salt in the process. In this scenario, bromine having one extra electron has one more electron than an atom of bromine does, and so overall it's negatively charged (-1); that is, 1 more electron than all the protons in bromine. It's electron configuration would be: [Ar]4s23d104p6. Bromine radical has an electron configuration of: [Ar]4s23d10p5. It's uncharged because protons = electrons, but it's a radical because the electron is in an unpaired p orbital.