Gen Surg Chances and Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gensurgery2018

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know these posts are a dime a dozen, but here it goes anyways I appreciate any advice.

I am an MS4 from a mid tier school in Texas. I just recently decided to apply to general surgery.

Step 1: 252
Step 2: Still need to take
Clinicals: honored surgery
HP: peds, ob-gyn, IM
P: FM, psych
Research: my biggest weakness. No publications and only a 2 abstracts and 1 poster.
LOR: imo very good. Getting a letter from 1 national name and I believe he will write me a good one as I got to know him well. Other letter is PD who writes for everyone and last is a big name in Texas who I rotated with and I also believe will write a good one.

Preclinical grades: fairly strong with honors except for 2 classes.

I want to go into pediatric surgery, and so I am thinking utsw or Baylor would be my best options in state. Can anyone comment on the peds surgery departments at either of these programs? And what do you think my chances are to match at one of these programs? Thanks for any input.