General anesthesia for wisdom teeth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leviathan

Drinking from the hydrant
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are dentists properly trained to handle airway and breathing emergencies? I'm supposed to get 4 impacted wisdom teeth out that I left in for a little too long, so they want to heavily sedate me with IV benzos. I know general anesthesia has its inherent risks too, but would it possibly be safer to do that since a licensed anesthesiologist would be present?

Members don't see this ad.

Are dentists properly trained to handle airway and breathing emergencies? I'm supposed to get 4 impacted wisdom teeth out that I left in for a little too long, so they want to heavily sedate me with IV benzos. I know general anesthesia has its inherent risks too, but would it possibly be safer to do that since a licensed anesthesiologist would be present?

We have a dentistry residency program associated with our hospital. I know that all of our residents go through 2 full weeks of anesthesiology during their entire program (during the first year). When I was on my 4-week rotation, the dental residents would often ask if they could 'intubate and leave' to get their numbers.

So are they properly trained? Idk, but I think you'd be in better hands if I did the anesthesia. I've had at least 4x their training in this year alone. :laugh:

Those dentists are most likely oral and maxillofacial surgeons that have done 5-6 months of OR anesthesia and many hours of sedation in the dental clinic during their residency.

Members don't see this ad :)

There are 2 legal ways in which dentists can provide anesthesia.

1. Dental anesthesiologists - After dental school they go through 2 years of anesthesiology residency where they run OR's just like an MD anesthesiologists residents do. In addition during those 2 years, they are also trained to perform in office IV sedation.

2. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons - During a 4-6 year residency, they spend 4-6 months on the anesthesiology service where they run OR's just like MD anesthesiology residents do. In addition for 32+ months they perform IV sedations in clinic.

1. Dental anesthesiologists - After dental school they go through 2 years of anesthesiology residency where they run OR's just like an MD anesthesiologists residents do. In addition during those 2 years, they are also trained to perform in office IV sedation.

2. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons - During a 4-6 year residency, they spend 4-6 months on the anesthesiology service where they run OR's just like MD anesthesiology residents do. In addition for 32+ months they perform IV sedations in clinic.

Where I did my training the OMFS peeps were more than capable doing "regular" cases...better than some CRNAs. :cool: OMFS-ers are usually the top 1-3 in their class and go through hell and back with training. All the ones I had in my med school class and residency were very bright.

Hmmm, the word "legal" in your first line might be incorrect. There are plenty of dentists doing what amounts to general anesthesia in their offices every day (N2O + narcs/versded). Maybe not the smartest thing in the world, but not illegal.

The dental surgeons do them at my hospital with the support of the hospital GAS guys.