General Biology Pre-Req?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PinkAerie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused about the "General Biology" pre-req, I was hoping you guys could clear things up a little. I took the AP exam for Biology in HS and got a 4. UMBC gave me 8 creds for it, so I placed out of BIOL 100 + L plus some general GFR course. So now I'm really confused about whether or not I need to take another semester of Bio, considering that "BIOL 100" is the only "general" biology course that UMBC seems to have. Everything else is specialized. So do the 8 credits I received count as the required biology credits..? I'd appreciate any advice from former UMBC students if in the same situation, but non-UMBC student advice/input is completely welcome. I'm just not sure what to do! Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a UMBC student. From my experience, different schools have different definition on General Biology courses. For the Temple, they'll take any biology courses, such as cell biology, biochemistry...as general biology. Most schools prefer zoology and botany.

Why not ask the admission officer from UMBC? :love::love::love:

Members don't see this ad :)
definitely check with the pharm school and ask them, at UK, the gen bio was a specific 4 course sequence (including labs)

Why not ask the admission officer from UMBC? :love::love::love:

Since I'm wrapping up a bachelor's degree in psychology, they won't let me meet with a pre-pharm advisor to answer a generalized question like that (and no one else seems to know the answer). :confused:

Since I'm wrapping up a bachelor's degree in psychology, they won't let me meet with a pre-pharm advisor to answer a generalized question like that (and no one else seems to know the answer). :confused:

How come you're saying they "won't let you"? Can the school physically bar you from seeing a professor you want to see? Just walk into the office and ask your question.

Can you not just call them and ask the question over the phone? That way they don't even need to know what your major is.

I have no clue as to what "general biology" means really, my school requires Cell bio, microbiology and Zoology. They don't mention anything about general biology or what that refers to. Hope you get some kind of answer! :)

Ok I went and took a look at the UMBC site and found this... it says that these are classes that are required... it appears they total 6 credits. I have never looked at the UMBC site before so honestly I could be way off but this is what I found..

BIOL 100,
BIOL 100L,
BIOL 275
and 275L

Sound familiar at all?

Edit to add:

Here is the full list of prereq's they list with corresponding UMBC classes.

Requirements UMBC

Courses

English [6 credits]

ENGL 100
and one
course in
world or
English
literature

Mathematics [8 credits]
MATH 151
and