General Biology still needed for Med school?

Started by Faux
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Faux

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mom got accepted into nursing school, but I know she always longed for being a doctor.


She has AP 1/2(B+) done, as well as human biology(A), psych(A) and sociology(A). From the image, it makes it seem the biology section only tests on AP material?

Do schools still require general biology?
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 11.44.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 11.44.27 AM.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 192
From my experience applying, it seems to be a school-by-school difference.
Some schools let you use upper division biology classes to fulfill their biology requirement, others (the majority, I'd like to say?) require at least a semester - year of general bio.

Then again, I took all of my prereqs so I didn't have a problem either way. So, I might not be the most knowledgable.

I'm a bit confused though, is your mother already a nurse? Or did she just get accepted into nursing school? Either way, there's no harm in contacting the schools that she is interested in and asking directly.
 
From my experience applying, it seems to be a school-by-school difference.
Some schools let you use upper division biology classes to fulfill their biology requirement, others (the majority, I'd like to say?) require at least a semester - year of general bio.

Then again, I took all of my prereqs so I didn't have a problem either way. So, I might not be the most knowledgable.

I'm a bit confused though, is your mother already a nurse? Or did she just get accepted into nursing school? Either way, there's no harm in contacting the schools that she is interested in and asking directly.

She starts in a few days. But I know she wants more. I think the recent college grades, as well as the nursing school acceptance, has boosted her confidence.

She also just hit 50 and wants income too. But I know if time wasn't an issue, she would do med school in a heart beat. So I'm trying to see if her Anatomy and Physiology courses can be sufficient for the 1 year biology requirement.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmm, I don't know the exact reasons for her wanting to go into medicine but It sounds like to me that she would benefit more from looking into the RN --> NP or PA route.

As she just turned 50, even in the case that she was accepted, she wouldn't be a full-fledged physician (attending) until around 60. Give or take a few years depending on what specialty. If that is something that she is knowing going into then power to her but at this point, it's a cost/benefit analysis. (I've heard some med schools factor in how many expected years of practice when admitting students as well but don't quote me haha)

If she is interested because of the allopathic medicine philosophy--> PA. If she is interested more in patient care and well-being --> NP. Since she already has a foot in the latter, I would suggest she save herself the stress of going through another cycle of "what if" "what if not." Mind you, all of these are all respectable careers and should not be seen hierarchically. They were simply created to play different roles in healthcare.

That said, two things to consider:
1) If she rejects this acceptance into nursing school, she may be closing the door on that profession in the future. It is difficult to convince an ADCOM if you apply later that you are genuinely interested in nursing since you've given it up for another field.

2) Going to the level of NP, depending on the state, you have a similar (but importantly, not the same) scope of practice as a primary care physician. Some states even allow autonomy I think (do your own research)

I hope the best to your mother and respect you looking out for her :] Good to see in this day and age.

Edit: forgot to add that PA is usually 2-3 years and RN --> 1-2 accelerated and NP is 1-2 years post working in a hospital as an RN. I also don't know if an MSN is eligible for an NP.
 
Hmm, I don't know the exact reasons for her wanting to go into medicine but It sounds like to me that she would benefit more from looking into the RN --> NP or PA route.

As she just turned 50, even in the case that she was accepted, she wouldn't be a full-fledged physician (attending) until around 60. Give or take a few years depending on what specialty. If that is something that she is knowing going into then power to her but at this point, it's a cost/benefit analysis. (I've heard some med schools factor in how many expected years of practice when admitting students as well but don't quote me haha)

If she is interested because of the allopathic medicine philosophy--> PA. If she is interested more in patient care and well-being --> NP. Since she already has a foot in the latter, I would suggest she save herself the stress of going through another cycle of "what if" "what if not." Mind you, all of these are all respectable careers and should not be seen hierarchically. They were simply created to play different roles in healthcare.

That said, two things to consider:
1) If she rejects this acceptance into nursing school, she may be closing the door on that profession in the future. It is difficult to convince an ADCOM if you apply later that you are genuinely interested in nursing since you've given it up for another field.

2) Going to the level of NP, depending on the state, you have a similar (but importantly, not the same) scope of practice as a primary care physician. Some states even allow autonomy I think (do your own research)

I hope the best to your mother and respect you looking out for her :] Good to see in this day and age.

Edit: forgot to add that PA is usually 2-3 years and RN --> 1-2 accelerated and NP is 1-2 years post working in a hospital as an RN. I also don't know if an MSN is eligible for an NP.

Thank you for all the feedback! I'll show her your post later tonight.
 
Also be aware many medical schools do not accept AP credits for fulfillment of prereqs. Additionally, often nursing school specific courses do not fulfill the requirements or do they necessarily the expected depth or rigor for MCAT preparedness. Indeed "specialized health majors" have the lowest acceptance rate to medical school

https://www.aamc.org/download/321496/data/factstablea17.pdf

When I said AP, i meant anatomy and physiology. Just to be clear.
 
Actually love this. My mom went back to college when I was a sophomore. I think she will find a robust RN job market. If she truly wants to be MD, it may not be profitable. RN to NP or CRNA would be rewarding and challenging. Maybe certified nurse midwife.