General Nomenclature Question for you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docsurglace

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm not actually in an ob/gyn residency, but I will be starting med school this fall. I'm working in pediatric surgery at the moment, and I keep coming across this nomenclature used for mother's who have just given birth. This may sound stupid, but I want to know what does "28-year-old G3 P2 woman" actually mean? If anyone could tell me, that would be great! :)

Members don't see this ad.

docsurglace said:
Hello!

I'm not actually in an ob/gyn residency, but I will be starting med school this fall. I'm working in pediatric surgery at the moment, and I keep coming across this nomenclature used for mother's who have just given birth. This may sound stupid, but I want to know what does "28-year-old G3 P2 woman" actually mean? If anyone could tell me, that would be great! :)

G= gravity= How many times you have been pregnant
P= parity= How many times you have given birth

Gravity is often broken down by "TPAL"
T= #term births
P= # preterm births
A= # abortions/miscarriages
L= # living children

stanMD said:

T= #term births
P= # preterm births
L= # living children

For example, a woman has been pregnant five times in her life. That makes her G5. The first pregnancy resulted in a full term singleton birth. The second and third pregnancies were miscarriages. The fourth pregnancy resulted in a preterm singleton birth. The fifth pregnancy was a full term twin birth. Therefore she is a G5 P2124 (2 for 2 full term deliveries which resulted in three living children, 1 for the preterm birth resulting in 1 living children, 2 for the miscarrriages, and 4 for the living children today).

Members don't see this ad :)
stanMD said:

T= #term births
P= # preterm births
L= # living children

I think you meant to say parity is broken down by TPAL.

Thank you all so much for helping me out with this. It makes so much more sense now! :) Good luck to all of you in residency.