General Nomenclature Question for you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

docsurglace

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!

I'm not actually in an ob/gyn residency, but I will be starting med school this fall. I'm working in pediatric surgery at the moment, and I keep coming across this nomenclature used for mother's who have just given birth. This may sound stupid, but I want to know what does "28-year-old G3 P2 woman" actually mean? If anyone could tell me, that would be great! 🙂
 
docsurglace said:
Hello!

I'm not actually in an ob/gyn residency, but I will be starting med school this fall. I'm working in pediatric surgery at the moment, and I keep coming across this nomenclature used for mother's who have just given birth. This may sound stupid, but I want to know what does "28-year-old G3 P2 woman" actually mean? If anyone could tell me, that would be great! 🙂

G= gravity= How many times you have been pregnant
P= parity= How many times you have given birth

Gravity is often broken down by "TPAL"
T= #term births
P= # preterm births
A= # abortions/miscarriages
L= # living children
 
stanMD said:
G= gravity= How many times you have been pregnant
P= parity= How many times you have given birth

Gravity is often broken down by "TPAL"
T= #term births
P= # preterm births
A= # abortions/miscarriages
L= # living children

For example, a woman has been pregnant five times in her life. That makes her G5. The first pregnancy resulted in a full term singleton birth. The second and third pregnancies were miscarriages. The fourth pregnancy resulted in a preterm singleton birth. The fifth pregnancy was a full term twin birth. Therefore she is a G5 P2124 (2 for 2 full term deliveries which resulted in three living children, 1 for the preterm birth resulting in 1 living children, 2 for the miscarrriages, and 4 for the living children today).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
stanMD said:
G= gravity= How many times you have been pregnant
P= parity= How many times you have given birth

Gravity is often broken down by "TPAL"
T= #term births
P= # preterm births
A= # abortions/miscarriages
L= # living children

I think you meant to say parity is broken down by TPAL.
 
Thank you all so much for helping me out with this. It makes so much more sense now! 🙂 Good luck to all of you in residency.