general question about applying to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luv2sd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do medical schools always require 8 semesters worth of college transcript?

I transfered a few times and I spent one semester at ABC college and received really bad grades there. Then I transfered to a different college and retook the same classes and received much better grades. I'm guessing that low GPA from this college brings down my entire GPA overall.

Anyway, as long as I'm getting a degree at current college, will I be able to send just 7 semesters transcript and still get accepted to medical schools? I have also taken all the prerequisite classes.

Members don't see this ad.

You have to include all post-secondary transcripts! You can't just pick and choose which ones to include. Unfortunately, bad grades in the past will always follow you. Just include them and do well from now on.

You have to include all post-secondary transcripts! You can't just pick and choose which ones to include. Unfortunately, bad grades in the past will always follow you. Just include them and do well from now on.

but how will medical schools know that I'm submitting all post-secondary transcripts?

Members don't see this ad :)
but how will medical schools know that I'm submitting all post-secondary transcripts?

If you're going to lie about your grades, don't practice medicine. If you submit 7 semesters worth of grades from your current school they're going to want to know where the other semester is. It will also probably hurt you because you'd appear to be applying early. Early applications (not completing college) don't scream experience to the adcoms. Also, if you get your degree (BS in Chem, for example) the school you are applying to is going to want to see the credits leading to it. That degree is usually over 120 credits. If you can make it up with AP classes then maybe you can pull it off. Overall, don't lie. If you get caught I can see them pulling your acceptance.

You have a SSN right, so, perhaps they will find out. Perhaps they won't. It's a question of integrity. ADCOMs wants to see all post-2ndary course work. If you intentionally omit information on your application and they find out about it, you're history.

If you're going to lie about your grades, don't practice medicine. If you submit 7 semesters worth of grades from your current school they're going to want to know where the other semester is. It will also probably hurt you because you'd appear to be applying early. Early applications (not completing college) don't scream experience to the adcoms. Also, if you get your degree (BS in Chem, for example) the school you are applying to is going to want to see the credits leading to it. That degree is usually over 120 credits. If you can make it up with AP classes then maybe you can pull it off. Overall, don't lie. If you get caught I can see them pulling your acceptance.

I'm submitting 4 semesters from my current college and 3 semesters from my previous college, and ... I'm thinking about the remaining 1 semester from the ABC college I talked about in my original post.

Also I think it's far away from lying about my grades. I didn't cheat or anything. I just don't think it's a good idea to send bad grades from a college which I attended for only one semester and have those grades basically ruin my high GPA that I got after working my ass off for 3 years and a half. My 7 semesters worth transcrip clearly show all the prereqs and classes I had to take to get a degree.

I'll probably end up sending it anyway. I just wanted to know if they had a way to find out whether I sent all college transcripts or not since I attended three different colleges.

I'm submitting 4 semesters from my current college and 3 semesters from my previous college, and ... I'm thinking about the remaining 1 semester from the ABC college I talked about in my original post.

Also I think it's far away from lying about my grades. I didn't cheat or anything. I just don't think it's a good idea to send bad grades from a college which I attended for only one semester and have those grades basically ruin my high GPA that I got after working my ass off for 3 years and a half. My 7 semesters worth transcrip clearly show all the prereqs and classes I had to take to get a degree.

I'll probably end up sending it anyway. I just wanted to know if they had a way to find out whether I sent all college transcripts or not since I attended three different colleges.

That is why all medical schools want to know your past. There are plenty of people who didn't do well academically because of many issues. And they transferred to another college and did good. It doesn't matter whether you did good or bad at previous college. The medical school wants to know how you did your undergraduate works. If you don't send your transcripts from all colleges you have attended, there will be some trouble. If they caught you not sending the ABC college transcript, you will get rejected from all med schools and you will never be able to apply to the medical schools again as you'd be put on blacklist.

That is why all medical schools want to know your past. There are plenty of people who didn't do well academically because of many issues. And they transferred to another college and did good. It doesn't matter whether you did good or bad at previous college. The medical school wants to know how you did your undergraduate works. If you don't send your transcripts from all colleges you have attended, there will be some trouble. If they caught you not sending the ABC college transcript, you will get rejected from all med schools and you will never be able to apply to the medical schools again as you'd be put on blacklist.

yeah I know... but submitting that transcript will definitely lower my chance of getting into top tier schools :mad:

They will know. AMCAS has access to a national database that lists every school where you've matriculated and the dates. (I believe it may be the same one that insurance companies use to confirm you are still eligible for coverage under your parents' policies after high school graduation.) You've been a member of this forum long enough to have had access to past threads on this issue. As I recall, one poster reported "forgetting" one school she'd attended. After AMCAS received her application and took the usual 4-8 weeks to certify it, they wrote her that she had failed to submit her transcript from XYZ college and they could not certify her application until it was received. After she had it sent by overnight mail, it took AMCAS another 6-8 weeks to complete her certification and release the application to the schools where she'd applied. She no longer had the advantage of being an early applicant. Don't let this happen to you.

How pathetic, looking for the easy way out of it. You messed up, you earned those bad grades. You made the bed and now you've got to sleep in it. Deal with it and grow up. Send all transcripts.

I love how you seem to think your bad semester should be off your record, but never mind the rest of us who aren't afraid to turn in all our grades....Hmm...maybe this means I should just leave out my first semester freshman year too...NOT! Your lack of integrity is unbelievable. Why are you so priviledged to send in part of your transcripts when the rest of us have to send in all? I truly think that when the applications ask for your transcripts it doesn't mean that everyone except you should be forthcoming...

Either you are a troll, or you are absolutely going to be the worst lying scum of a doctor ever!

Oh, and if I had left off that semester of my transcripts...it would more adequately show the 3 1/2 years I spent working my ass off too! Deal with it...this is what we have to pay for for screwing up or not working hard enough. It's why the people with 4.0's should be honored and should take pride, because their 4.0's represents 4 years of nonstop work and excellence. Those who screw up a semester should not be elevated by eliminating that semester to their status or even near it.

Deal with your mistakes like the rest of us...gosh your post irritates me!

luv2sd said:
It wasn't a good idea to get those grades. Now you have to live with it.

yeah I know... but submitting that transcript will definitely lower my chance of getting into top tier schools :mad:
Face the facts. Do you deserve a top ten spot after earning bad grades? If you do, other parts of your application will prove it.

Stop whining, and do what's required.

no I'll probably send the transcript
you guys have changed my mind...

but how will an F in calculus 3 in freshman year look on my overall transcript?
I have 3.75 GPA but... I might have to get ready to cook some burgers at a McDonald because of this F haha..

When you submit your AMCAS you are signing that you have abided by all their rules and have filled out the application honestly. One of their rules is very clear: SUBMIT ALL POST-SECONDARY TRANSCRIPTS from EVERY COLLEGE YOU HAVE EVER ATTENDED. So if you sign the AMCAS and haven't submitted all your grades you are lying and it is cheating.

As far as is there a way - they can do a background check and it may or may not come up. But its really not worth testing is it?

They will know. AMCAS has access to a national database that lists every school where you've matriculated and the dates. (I believe it may be the same one that insurance companies use to confirm you are still eligible for coverage under your parents' policies after high school graduation.) You've been a member of this forum long enough to have had access to past threads on this issue.

Umm...I'm pretty sure no such thing exists. I've always had to submit enrollment records, class schedules or transcripts to verify enrollment.

What proof do you have that there is a national database listing every school people attend?

Umm...I'm pretty sure no such thing exists. I've always had to submit enrollment records, class schedules or transcripts to verify enrollment.

What proof do you have that there is a national database listing every school people attend?

There's some kind of database. Schools know when you're at another school. When I started my post-bacc in a different state than where I went to undergrad, I was contacted about deferring my loans from the other state even though I didn't seek financial aid for my post-bacc.

I have 3.75 GPA but... I might have to get ready to cook some burgers at a McDonald because of this F haha..

It will look like you teh suck at div, grad, curl, and all that good stuff.

Your trend obviously went up quite a bit to come back from at least one F, coupled with other bad grades that semester according to you. So you had one bad semester, followed by many good ones. Sure you're not going to get into HMS, but it won't keep you out of every school. But if you want to be unethical even before you become a doctor, go right ahead. You will pay for it down the road, though. Karma's a *****.

But it IS lying. And it confers upon you an unfair advantage over those who honestly report all their coursework, good and bad, so it IS cheating as well. :thumbdown:

But it IS lying. And it confers upon you an unfair advantage over those who honestly report all their coursework, good and bad, so it IS cheating as well. :thumbdown:

Agreed. By submitting AMCAS, you are averring that you will have provided all transcripts as per their instructions. It's really the academic equivalent of submitting a job application with false statement -- it's a fraud. You can view it however you like, but that's how schools are going to view it. One or two bad grades probably wouldn't keep you out of med school, and there are ways to rehabilitate these issues. But lying (even by omission) in the application process can definitely cost you a seat if you get caught.

Have you even considered retaking Calc III? Unfortunately the grade won't be struck out, but it will be averaged and look a bit better. I don't know if this is the route to go but it seems logical. Others with more experience will be able to comment.

don't be a fool and lie. send all your transcripts. what's worse, having to spend one more year in a SMP to boost ur gpa, or being expelled frm medical school in your third year (barring u frm basically ever returning)?