General question about resumes/ med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1136042

I'm currently making my resume for undergrad and decided to write a summary. I searched that med school is not considered a 'graduate school' in the US (which btw makes no sense?). However, I want to include my future aspirations here without giving off toxic gunner energy yet will be broad enough to not be deceiving. I'm doing this as my university labs usually take more people interested in PhD/MPH programs verses MD. How would you phrase 'interested in medical school' in a subtle way?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
You could mention that you are interested in healthcare

It is very common to refer to med school as grad school colloquially (and when I was in med school, we were explicitly a part of the "grad school community." People generally take "grad school" to mean advanced degrees that happen after your undergraduate education. On the other hand, I don't think it is dishonest in the least. Though, if they interview you for a lab position, you may want to be frank about your aspirations for medical school (unless you are truly open minded about possibly getting a different non-clinical degree).

Members don't see this ad :)
It is very common to refer to med school as grad school colloquially (and when I was in med school, we were explicitly a part of the "grad school community." People generally take "grad school" to mean advanced degrees that happen after your undergraduate education. On the other hand, I don't think it is dishonest in the least. Though, if they interview you for a lab position, you may want to be frank about your aspirations for medical school (unless you are truly open minded about possibly getting a different non-clinical degree).
Which year did you attend medical school? I'm quite confused too as medicine is a professional graduate degree... yet multiple sources (if you do a quick google search) say medical school is not a graduate school. Do you think I should still mention my interest in "graduate programs" or just say "professional degree" if I'm only thinking about MD? (of course, like you mentioned for interviews I will be more clear)

Which year did you attend medical school? I'm quite confused too as medicine is a professional graduate degree... yet multiple sources (if you do a quick google search) say medical school is not a graduate school. Do you think I should still mention my interest in "graduate programs" or just say "professional degree" if I'm only thinking about MD? (of course, like you mentioned for interviews I will be more clear)
Google may say one thing, but the common usage of the term in my experience also encompasses medical school. No one in academia will say "you didn't go to grad school, you went to medical school!" No one will bat an eye or think you're trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes. I think you're overthinking it. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
“Grad school” can have more of an academic connotation, but like has been said: colloquially it really isn’t used that way. Medical school is considered a professional school, but most people lump it into grad school. I didn’t know there was any such distinction until I was applying to medical school and was corrected by neurotic premeds.

It's complicated. For simplicity purposes, it's just another school that offers degrees. Some medical schools only offer MD/DO degrees, but the conferral of other degrees like Masters and Ph.D.'s must come from the main university's graduate school office. Some schools offer other graduate certificates or degrees related to medicine for PA programs which could be allowed by authority of the dean and the university trustees. It depends on what the state education board allows. There are colleges of allied health professions that confer degrees for DPT, PA, OT, AudD, etc.

Then there are nursing schools that offer undergraduate and graduate degrees.

Yes, you can be considered a graduate student since ostensibly you have already received an undergraduate degree.

I'm currently making my resume for undergrad and decided to write a summary. I searched that med school is not considered a 'graduate school' in the US (which btw makes no sense?). However, I want to include my future aspirations here without giving off toxic gunner energy yet will be broad enough to not be deceiving. I'm doing this as my university labs usually take more people interested in PhD/MPH programs verses MD. How would you phrase 'interested in medical school' in a subtle way?
There is nothing subtle about it, and you are really trying to split hairs here in order to justify misleading them into thinking you are interested in something other than a MD. Yes, med school is technically a "grad school" since it leads to a post-bacc degree.

But, in your context, grad school usually refers to a program leading to a masters or PhD, and med school is usually referred to as "med school," not "grad school." No need to be coy here. Just say "med school." This doesn't make you a "toxic gunner.' It makes you a premed, which you are seemingly trying to mask.

There is nothing subtle about it, and you are really trying to split hairs here in order to justify misleading them into thinking you are interested in something other than a MD. Yes, med school is technically a "grad school" since it leads to a post-bacc degree.

But, in your context, grad school usually refers to a program leading to a masters or PhD, and med school is usually referred to as "med school," not "grad school." No need to be coy here. Just say "med school." This doesn't make you a "toxic gunner.' It makes you a premed, which you are seemingly trying to mask.
I understand what you are saying, but I don't see any wrong of trying to "mask" the fact that I premed in my cold email (before I actually start the position). A comparison would be people applying to college for humanities and then switching to CS after they are accepted. So many people do this at my university, and you can hate them for it, but at the end of the day, they still get their CS degree.

Thanks everyone for the input! I think I will just leave out my future aspirations to prevent any potential/ future controversies for my career.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't see any wrong of trying to "mask" the fact that I premed in my cold email (before I actually start the position). A comparison would be people applying to college for humanities and then switching to CS after they are accepted. So many people do this at my university, and you can hate them for it, but at the end of the day, they still get their CS degree.

Thanks everyone for the input! I think I will just leave out my future aspirations to prevent any potential/ future controversies for my career.
Lmbo no one cares about someone switching a major. People aren’t applying for specific major departments when applying to undergraduate colleges. They’re applying for acceptance to the college as a whole. Bad analogy. Just say you have an interest in medicine/healthcare or don’t mention it at all if it’s not applicable to the work they’re doing in those labs.