General question on Rotations in US for any Student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fly77

PsychRes
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am told that third year "core" rotations should be "green book" ones. Does this also apply for the elective rotations done during your forth year. Some schools do not provide the fourth years for you..but will assist you in setting them up.
...Does anyone have any advice on what to do and what not to do (or where not to do!) as far as fourth year electives are concern, from the perspective of having the most residency opportunities later on???

Thanks in advance,

-Fly

Members don't see this ad.

IMHO, ALL rotations, whether Cores or Electives should be done at hospitals with ACGME residencies. I know that a classmate of mine did an FP rotation with a family friend and then later was refused credit for it by the state of PA (who tends to be really picky about the rotations allowed). If you are by chance considering the state of PA for residency, don't do any electives here - for some reason, they will not accept them toward licensure (seems bizarre to me), or so I am told.

You are always better off doing a rotation at a hospital with a teaching program - you will likely get better teaching and there can be no question as to whether or not you got teaching from faculty with any experience in doing so.

just my two cents...

Thanks for the reply,

If your Medical school does not set up these fourth year rotations for you (but assists), is it possible to set up green book rotations yourself, and if so what is the general process for this?

Thanks again,

-Fly

Fly - it is entirely possible to set up these rotations yourself. I did it and so have many others.

Most schools offering visiting electives have information on-line. Simply follow the directions - some may require a phone call, some may require an on-line application to be submitted, etc. All will require that you be in good academic standing and have the approval of your medical school. Most will require that you have Malpractice/Defense/Liability and Health insurance in effect in the US. Some will require that you have passed USMLE Step 1. Some will require that you have a faculty member at the visiting school to sponsor your application (ie, take responsibility for supervising you) - most of the time its as simple as asking. Most will require that you be responsible for your living expenses while there.

So gather up some information on programs in the geographical area you desire to rotate through or strong programs in your prospective residency field. Take a look at their web sites and follow the links to information on Visiting Electives, etc.