General question regarding proudest accomplishment and personal challenge prompts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ServiceFirst

MS1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
In prompts asking about my proudest accomplishment, is it a bad idea to discuss how I completed my biology degree in 3 years (time management, reaching out to resources, etc.) which is more academic in nature? Or for real one of the proudest accomplishments I have is climbing Mt. Baldy (big mountain in California) which speaks more in physical/mental preparation and leading a hiking team to the top.

In summary my question is when answering prompts in secondaries, it is more "traditional" to keep responses academically-related in nature? Because I'm afraid if I talk about personal feats like learning a new instrument/skill, it might come off as "selfish."

Members don't see this ad.

I could be horribly wrong - but as long as your answer has some insight into who you are and can attest to your values as an individual - that's the answer you should go for. If your proudest accomplishment is climbing that mountain, and in your secondary you talk about the mental/physical challenges involved I assume it would be fine. @Goro often tells applicants who have questions that your secondaries should answer a lot about "who you are / how would your friends describe you" - so it's up to you to decide if you are better represented by that that hike or about your time management skills.

Again, I'd wait for clarity because I'm in my application cycle right now as well, but that's been my take on things due to advice from these boards.

Reactions: 1 user
Climbing the mountain! It tells a lot about who you are. There's so much hard work, endurance, and strength ( both inner and outer) that that requires. The ad coms know you graduated in three years from other parts of your app. This is a chance for you to show who you are and to stand out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In prompts asking about my proudest accomplishment, is it a bad idea to discuss how I completed my biology degree in 3 years (time management, reaching out to resources, etc.) which is more academic in nature? Or for real one of the proudest accomplishments I have is climbing Mt. Baldy (big mountain in California) which speaks more in physical/mental preparation and leading a hiking team to the top.

In summary my question is when answering prompts in secondaries, it is more "traditional" to keep responses academically-related in nature? Because I'm afraid if I talk about personal feats like learning a new instrument/skill, it might come off as "selfish."
You're fine! It is a pre-med delusion that all we want to hear are things related to academics or Medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you everyone for the feedback, it was very helpful!