General Questions about Post-Bacc Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p_ibbz

Reaction score
Hi friends,

Forgive me in advance for potentially not making sense, or jumping all over the place.. I am just trying to understand these programs fully.

I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in business from a University but am wanting to do a career change into Medicine, (a surgeon specifically). I am taking Pre-Med courses at the moment at a local college that has no post-bacc pre-med programs, as well as no pre-med advisor. (I am taking Biology, General Chemistry, Sociology, and Physics).

I heard of Post-Bacc Pre-Med programs and I am pretty confused on what exactly I should be looking for in this stage of my schooling. I basically haven't taken any pre-reqs for med school, and I want to find a post-bacc program that will help guide me through what courses I should be taking, clinical volunteer opportunities, etc.. Without having to pursue a Master's (because I'm pretty sure I won't meet those Post-Bacc Master's Programs requirements since I don't have any natural science courses completed yet).

Are there programs that exist out there where it's specifically for graduates who are career-changing and have to start from basic pre-med courses like Biology and General Chemistry?

Sorry if this is confusing, I'm not even really sure what to ask. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I heard of Post-Bacc Pre-Med programs and I am pretty confused on what exactly I should be looking for in this stage of my schooling. I basically haven't taken any pre-reqs for med school, and I want to find a post-bacc program that will help guide me through what courses I should be taking, clinical volunteer opportunities, etc..

Post-bac programs are mostly designed for career changers such as yourself. They focus on the pre-reqs and ideally offer pre-med advising AND MCAT prep.

These programs are a dime-a-dozen; you're just going to have to do your research to find one, also be willing to relocate, if needed.

Without having to pursue a Master's (because I'm pretty sure I won't meet those Post-Bacc Master's Programs requirements since I don't have any natural science courses completed yet).

How do you know this????

Are there programs that exist out there where it's specifically for graduates who are career-changing and have to start from basic pre-med courses like Biology and General Chemistry?
See above.

SMPs are designed for pre-meds who wrecked thier GPAs and/or MCAT scores. These are different from what you're looking for.

Reactions: 1 user