General Questions Concerning My Situation!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

High Life

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!
I had a few questions, hoping you all could help me answer.

1) I have around 50 college credits (basic education courses). Can I continue my education and science courses in a Community College? or is frowned upon? (Closest university here is pricey).
2) Once I finish my pre-requirement courses, can I still apply for Pod school? despite only having 90 credit hours? If so, do I stand a good chance?
3) I'm confused with College Physics and University Physics. Which one should I take?
4) is it recommended to take Biology1, physics1, general chemistry1, and inorganic chemistry1 during the same semester? or is it foolish?

- Thank you all in advanced!! Sorry if these are dumb questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome aboard!

(1) yeah, you can!

(2) yes, you can. I read the kent state site
recently and they mentioned exactly that. You're good to go with just 90. But why not finish your degree? Only 2 semster, 30 credits left.

(3) I think the difference is calculus and algebra. The engineering students usually go for calc-based physics. Your physics just have to have a lab and be two sequence. I believe at some schools, there are 6-credit orgos, etc.

(4) it all depends on your strength. If you can handle it, do it! If not, there's nothing wrong with going one at a time. 4.0 in your prereqs over 2 years looks better than 2.3 in semester.

So, assess your strength, and choose based on that.

Glad to have you join the podiatry fam. And, please, NEVER hesitate to ask ANY question here. Ever. Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
There are no dumb questions. I agree with pretty much everything dr.phoot said, but I'll repeat it anyway just so you can have more confidence in these answers.

1) I have around 50 college credits (basic education courses). Can I continue my education and science courses in a Community College? or is frowned upon? I Would stick with the community college. During interviews nobody brought up my community college vs university courses. It's not that big of a deal. I remember them telling us at Midwestern they had tracked students who did mostly community college undergraduate courses and those who did mostly university undergraduate courses and once they were in DPM school, there wasn't a difference.
2) Once I finish my pre-requirement courses, can I still apply for Pod school? despite only having 90 credit hours? If so, do I stand a good chance?
I matriculated without a bachelor's degree. On the one hand it saved me another semester or so of courses, some thousands of dollars, and potentially waiting another cycle to apply. On the other hand, it bars me from any of the dual programs like DPM/MPH or DPM/PhD and by the time I graduate and am out practicing, if I ever wanted to go back to get another Master's degree or a PhD in something else it may not be possible because some of my credits at this point are already stretching back almost 10 years. By then some of my credits will be nearly 20 years old and most schools probably won't apply them towards any degree. If you finish your bachelor's degree it's like a milestone that nobody can take away from you and you can always go back and start fresh from that point for any program that only requires a bachelor's degree. Meh, just some stuff to think about.
3) I'm confused with College Physics and University Physics. Which one should I take?
Yea, where I'm from college physics was algebra based and university physics was calculus based. Though I knew people in both courses and they were still very similar courses. Basically, you won't be doing calculus based mathematics on the MCAT or in podiatry school, so there's no need to go to that level unless you just enjoy math or you want to challenge yourself.
4) is it recommended to take Biology1, physics1, general chemistry1, and inorganic chemistry1 during the same semester? or is it foolish?
I feel as busy in podiatry school now as I was when I was taking 12-15 credit hours per semester and working 40 hours per week. And I know that some adcoms like to see that you can handle a heavy courseload, probably just for that reason. On the other hand, your priority should be keeping your grades up. You know yourself better than any of us. If you are good with science courses and think you can pull off that courseload AND good grades, then go for it. If that semester schedule is necessary to keep you on your timeline for applying, then go for it.

Reactions: 1 user