General Surgeon/CT Surgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlakeC93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After completing medical school, could a student complete a general surgery residency, practice as a general surgeon for a few years, then complete a cardiothoracic surgery fellowship? From looking at the past threads, I have gathered the following: a student completes a five year general surgery residency, then a three year CT fellowship. Could one practice for a few years before starting the CT fellowship?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

When you've worked a few years making $250-300k a year and have a patient base established, it's going to be pretty hard to give that practice up to make $60k as a CT fellow and work as someone else's b!tch again. And your exposure to complicated academic cases would be very distant.

After completing medical school, could a student complete a general surgery residency, practice as a general surgeon for a few years, then complete a cardiothoracic surgery fellowship? From looking at the past threads, I have gathered the following: a student completes a five year general surgery residency, then a three year CT fellowship. Could one practice for a few years before starting the CT fellowship?

Thanks!

Can you, yes.

Statistically, will you? No. As the previous poster has explained, being a brand new practicing surgeon is hard. Those first couple of years, building your patient base is hard work. Why would you give that up to go back to fellowship?

Members don't see this ad :)
Indeed, these days the opposite is happening - many CT surgery fellowships are becoming direct CT surgery residencies.

Thanks for all the answers, guys! So if I were to do a CT surgery residency, how long would it take? Also, how important is your med school when applying to residencies? I found some residency programs for CT surgery at several schools, and they were only three years long. That seems...not right. What schools offer CT surgery residency programs?

Thanks!

Moving to the Pre-Allo forum. Those who wish to contribute can do so there.

Thanks!

Yes, but you won't

Thanks for all the answers, guys! So if I were to do a CT surgery residency, how long would it take? Also, how important is your med school when applying to residencies? I found some residency programs for CT surgery at several schools, and they were only three years long. That seems...not right. What schools offer CT surgery residency programs?
An integrated CTS residency is 6 or 7 years. The 3 yr residencies that you are finding are post-graduate from a general surgery residency. Residency= ACGME accredited training program, Fellowship= Non-ACGME accredited training program.

More integrated programs are being added each year. By the time, you're applying, they'll probably all be integrated.
Right now:
Northwestern, UNC, MUSC, Stanford, Wash U, USC, UC-Davis, U of Maryland, Mayo, Mt Sinai (NY), Coulmbia, Rochester, Penn, Pitt, U Texas-San Antonio, UVa, UWash, Wisconsin