This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All of this does not sound good. I would state as nicely as I could I want to just move on and would you support it.

It sounds like they are trying to sandbag you.

That's a good point and I agree. And, I need to see what they are doing to help me make that transition. I'm still interested in Surgery.
 
A due process review will end pretty much any goodwill your PD will have for you. Do not go this route. Don't make a bad situation worse.

If I can determine it will cause bad will then I likely won't. It seems that for this situation it is reasonable and warranted.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All of this does not sound good. I would state as nicely as I could I want to just move on and would you support it.

It sounds like they are trying to sandbag you.

Thanks for your interest and reply. I'm not clear on what you mean by "sandbag". Doesn't that mean slow down or stop?...
 
Thanks for your interest and reply. I'm not clear on what you mean by "sandbag". Doesn't that mean slow down or stop?...
Screw you over where you end up with nothing. It sounds like they are trying to cover their ass legally and on top of it label you "learning disabled".

I used to work in HR. You do not want any of this.

I know you want another shot at Surgery but at this point you need to just try and get a decent LOR and get into whatever you can.
 
If I can determine it will cause bad will then I likely won't. It seems that for this situation it is reasonable and warranted.

To be honest, you didn't seem to see this nonrenewal coming. You won't be able to determine if it will cause bad will. They may say one thing to your face, but they will be thinking another thing. The GME director is not interested in keeping you in the program, no matter what he says. He wants to cover himself and the program legally. And get stuck with a learning disability? That's something you'd likely have to report to all future jobs and medical boards when you want to get a position or license. Do you want that??

You need to have a meeting with your PD, ask him what fields he would support you in, and then move forward. You are done at this program. As I said before, you should talk with some faculty or chiefs who you feel you have a connection with and ask them to be honest with you about your failings and how you can make your second chance in a new residency successful. I'm pretty sure that most of the faculty already knows what is happening and I'd be surprised if most of the residents don't already know too. Have you contacted the resident who was fired from the previous year yet? Why not?

If you continue on the path you are on, you will likely sabotage any real chance for a future career as a physician.
 
To be honest, you didn't seem to see this nonrenewal coming. You won't be able to determine if it will cause bad will. They may say one thing to your face, but they will be thinking another thing. The GME director is not interested in keeping you in the program, no matter what he says. He wants to cover himself and the program legally. And get stuck with a learning disability? That's something you'd likely have to report to all future jobs and medical boards when you want to get a position or license. Do you want that??

You need to have a meeting with your PD, ask him what fields he would support you in, and then move forward. You are done at this program. As I said before, you should talk with some faculty or chiefs who you feel you have a connection with and ask them to be honest with you about your failings and how you can make your second chance in a new residency successful. I'm pretty sure that most of the faculty already knows what is happening and I'd be surprised if most of the residents don't already know too. Have you contacted the resident who was fired from the previous year yet? Why not?

If you continue on the path you are on, you will likely sabotage any real chance for a future career as a physician.
Why do you think that?[/QUOTE

Mainly because of the way this has played out and lack of proper documentation. Also, their wasn't a formative way for assessing my progress or lack thereof. It's a new program with many growing pains (another reason to leave, right?). He has a background in education, hence the learning disability mention. Apparently, there're many successful, accomplished people with so-called learning disorders. I have never seen that licensing or employment applications screen for learning disorders; don't think that is legal.
 
Mainly because of the way this has played out and lack of proper documentation. Also, their wasn't a formative way for assessing my progress or lack thereof. It's a new program with many growing pains (another reason to leave, right?). He has a background in education, hence the learning disability mention. Apparently, there're many successful, accomplished people with so-called learning disorders. I have never seen that licensing or employment applications screen for learning disorders; don't think that is legal.

What happens if you get a technical victory and don't get straight up fired? What will happen next? They will put you under an intense microscope with formal probation and if you are not absolutely perfect, you will get fired. Then they will say they followed the book. Then you look for a new program and instead of having nonrenewal with your PD supporting you for a different field, you'll have a firing with your PD giving you bad letters to any and all fields because you didn't go along with the plan.

You can spin the nonrenewal out as a change of heart, not a good fit, etc. It's harder to spin a firing midway through an academic year and you can be certain that it will happen if you get to stay. You will have a much harder time finding a spot in ANY field for training when you have a PD who will say "jason.lafluer was a resident at my program who was not going to be renewed, fought it, and then ended up getting fired for incompetence after extended attempts at remediation." No new PD will want to touch you. You'll end up working as a GP if you end up still in medicine and having a hard time finding a job at that with just a year of general surgery to go on.

As for the learning disabilities, that will end up getting disclosed when you have to report the details of any firing or termination from training programs to the medical boards. Some states may ask about it as well. Medical licensing boards have alot more room to ask things compared to a regular employer. They can ask about psychiatric histories and the like as it may impact your job as a physician.

Did you talk with the resident who was fired from the previous year yet?
 
What happens if you get a technical victory and don't get straight up fired? What will happen next? They will put you under an intense microscope with formal probation and if you are not absolutely perfect, you will get fired. Then they will say they followed the book. Then you look for a new program and instead of having nonrenewal with your PD supporting you for a different field, you'll have a firing with your PD giving you bad letters to any and all fields because you didn't go along with the plan.

You can spin the nonrenewal out as a change of heart, not a good fit, etc. It's harder to spin a firing midway through an academic year and you can be certain that it will happen if you get to stay. You will have a much harder time finding a spot in ANY field for training when you have a PD who will say "jason.lafluer was a resident at my program who was not going to be renewed, fought it, and then ended up getting fired for incompetence after extended attempts at remediation." No new PD will want to touch you. You'll end up working as a GP if you end up still in medicine and having a hard time finding a job at that with just a year of general surgery to go on.

As for the learning disabilities, that will end up getting disclosed when you have to report the details of any firing or termination from training programs to the medical boards. Some states may ask about it as well. Medical licensing boards have alot more room to ask things compared to a regular employer. They can ask about psychiatric histories and the like as it may impact your job as a physician.

Did you talk with the resident who was fired from the previous year yet?

Your first paragraph was very good; I agree. Second paragraph, also good points. Third paragraph: be content with contract non-renewal vs. firing. ok. I don't have a learning disability; how could I if I graduated medical school?
 
Your first paragraph was very good; I agree. Second paragraph, also good points. Third paragraph: be content with contract non-renewal vs. firing. ok. I don't have a learning disability; how could I if I graduated medical school?

I was effin stupid for ranking this program.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OP, as I've watched this unfold I feel like I can almost see your face behind the screen. What I am seeing is a descent into denial. Despite your polite tone, the tension in your writing is papable.

The advice about the GME director and PD not being on your side, please, for your own sake, listen to it. Not everyone who is polite to you means well, and these guys may not be trying to scuttle your ship out of malicious intent but its "just business."

I wish you well in whatever direction you go but please understand that the PD and GME director are not your friends. Treat them unemotionally and diplomatically as a negotiator for your own interest while they negotiate for their interests. I repeat, you are not friends. They will not cry over losing you.

-from a fellow quiet guy that went through something similar during my surgery rotation. Stakes weren't as high, but I learned the politics real fast after getting burned

How did you get burned?
 
Your first paragraph was very good; I agree. Second paragraph, also good points. Third paragraph: be content with contract non-renewal vs. firing. ok. I don't have a learning disability; how could I if I graduated medical school?

Why would you want to get stuck with the learning disability label then? Why do you think the GME director brought it up?

If you look back at the multiple threads on SDN that talk about residents being asked to resign or getting a non-renewal, they are pretty much all counseled to not bring legal threats into it. When you bring a lawyer into the mix, the atmosphere changes completely. Any attempts at being cordial now or the future is very much in doubt. That's why that is not recommended. I know you aren't talking about a lawyer, but requesting the due process hearing is much the same.

You say there's guidelines not followed to the letter? Ok, there may be. That still doesn't change that the program would rather scramble to get a new resident next year than keep you in place. They just do not want you there. Why do you want to stay???

I feel I'm just repeating myself over and over here. People on here have given you some good, solid advice. It is up to you which way you want to proceed. Your entire future as a doctor is at stake here. Choose wisely.
 
Honestly, I'd go by everyone's advice in this thread. Do not get a potential label put on you of some type of learning disability. For example, I just finished a medical staff application for my new job in the [very long] credentialing process. It specifically asks if I have any physical or mental "issues" that could or do affect my ability to work. If you have a learning disability, it would have to be disclosed. You can't rationalize falling behind, failing complex thinking or not passing board certification by "it just happens."
 
I am convinced that programs use the "learning disabled" label to justify firing residents. Every resident I've seen put on academic probation and/or fired (who confided in me), told me that it was suggested that they had a learning disability instead of trying to understand why the resident was having trouble (maybe something about 100+ hr work weeks, etc?).

As others have said, do not let them convince you to accept that label because IMHO they will use it against you, not to help you. The GME office is only concerned as far as their legal responsibility requires them to be.

Cut your losses, get the vague weak letter of support from your PD, bow out gracefully and call that resident who found a PGY-2 surgical position tomorrow.
 
usually people will say...don't listen to random people on an anonymous forum, but in this case i think it is better to listen to the random people on the anonymous forum...why? because we don't have any vested interest in this...people have relayed to you their experiences from both sides...and the overwhelming opinion here is that you are damn lucky to have the support (which maybe disappearing) of your PD to get you into another residency program and your unrealistic desire to stay in surgery is going to cost you in the end if you don't wise up...yes, they may be a new program and that makes them all that more motivated not to be seen to have any deficiencies...and if they have to place the blame on an intern with a "learning disability" as to why they had to let someone go...they will JUMP on it...if is not to your benefit to get labeled with a learning disability at this early point in your career...it will come out and easily becomes a rationale on why a hospital lets you go or doesn't give you privileges...
 
Thanks for your interest. The GME director is going to talk with the PD further. It was not a definitive meeting at all. He talked to me about, and basically encouraged me to pursue a due process review. I also expressed my willingness to be evaluated for a learning disorder as this was a suggestion at our first meeting that I stiff-armed because frankly I didn't want the hassle.
OP the reason the GME is encouraging you to pursue a due process review is to cover all of HIS bases. It has nothing to do with you or what happens to you. The end of the story will remain the same. Seriously think about cutting your losses and finding a new program if you can. You originally stated that you regretted not doing more during M4 because your skills became rusty. You really can't afford to sit around another year. Your skills will be awful by then.
Are you still working now? Will you get full credit for the intern year? Have you called the other intern that was fired last year? What did she say?


Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
 
I am in a similar position as the OP, except I'm in IM. I managed to get an application in time for the SOAP but not the match. Does anyone know of chances of securing an IM PGY-2 spot or anything else for that matter? Any and all sincere advice is welcomed.
 
I agree with most of the advice you've been given here.

Think about it this way: If you take this to a grievance hearing, there are one of two outcomes. Either:

1. You end up still fired. In that case, you're no better off. And, there is a reasonable chance that your PD will not feel as warm and fuzzy about you. Although I tell any resident that I'm terminating that it's their right to have a fair hearing, and that I won't hold it against them if they do, the adversarial nature of a grievance hearing is certain to elicit negative emotions in everyone.

2. Your program is forced to keep you. They don't want to, but the decision is binding. Unless you can magically have a much improved performance, this situation is unlikely to end well.

Getting a LD eval is only valuable for one thing -- more time on tests. And even that is hard to get from the USMLE or for the board exams.

As to your last post, if that's the metric you're using to try to choose a new program, you are going to be disappointed.
 
I agree with most of the advice you've been given here.

Think about it this way: If you take this to a grievance hearing, there are one of two outcomes. Either:

1. You end up still fired. In that case, you're no better off. And, there is a reasonable chance that your PD will not feel as warm and fuzzy about you. Although I tell any resident that I'm terminating that it's their right to have a fair hearing, and that I won't hold it against them if they do, the adversarial nature of a grievance hearing is certain to elicit negative emotions in everyone.

2. Your program is forced to keep you. They don't want to, but the decision is binding. Unless you can magically have a much improved performance, this situation is unlikely to end well.

Getting a LD eval is only valuable for one thing -- more time on tests. And even that is hard to get from the USMLE or for the board exams.

As to your last post, if that's the metric you're using to try to choose a new program, you are going to be disappointed.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your expertise. What type of program are you a director of?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been offered a pathology pgy-1 job.

Take it!

Take it now!

26783_do-it-starsky-and-hutch.gif
 
What is the most common reason for you not to renew a contract and why do you think that reason happens?

Poor clinical skills, or major professionalism problems.

Clinical skills are usually a problem progressing from the intern year to the PGY-2 year -- interns "get things done when told" where residents "figure out what to do". Occasionally it's because someone can't get work done fast enough / efficient enough.

Professionalism problems presumably arise from a personality / ethical / morality issue. Not showing up for work. Being untruthful in work. Complete disregard for administrative tasks.