General Surgery Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it difficult for a carribean grad to get a general surgery residency?

Members don't see this ad.

?????????????????????????

Look at the match lists of whatever Caribbean school you are interested in... that should tell you. Also be sure to differentiate "preliminary" vs. "categorical" positions.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the past it has been very easy to get general Sugery. This year, it was very very very hard for caribbean students unless you have good scores. I matched at my first choice and so did my friend. We both graduated from Ross. We both had very high scores though. If you didn't have higher than a 230 this year it was really tough. If you have any specific questions just PM me. good luck :luck:

OK, thanks a lot.

Matched at my first choice - Categorical position in Surgery at Albany Medical Center. SGU candidate for graduation - June ' 04.

lauderdale75 said:
Matched at my first choice - Categorical position in Surgery at Albany Medical Center. SGU candidate for graduation - June ' 04.

What is a categorical position? SGU = St. Georges University?

The is a thread called Surgery and Surgical Residency FAQs on the surgery and surgery subspecialties category.

A short answer would be that categorical spots are for five years to be board certified. Preliminary spots are usually for one year only. Most prelim spots are for ENT,Optho, Radiology,ect... However, all of the unmatched in general surgery usually do a prelim year and then try and match again the next year. It is also possible to slide into an open pgy2 spot but there are a lot of people trying for a few spots so it is competitive.

NRAI2001 said:
What is a categorical position? SGU = St. Georges University?

^^ what Chesspro said.

And yes, SGU = St. Georges University (in the Caribbean).

Is research experience required to get into general surgery residency?

Thanks. I read somewhere that research experience is required for university based residencies as opposed to community based residencies.

ULTRON

It depends on the program.

I went to SGU and I also matched into a categorical surgery spot, I know 2 other SGU students that succeeded as well. And yes, I had a 230+ on Step 1.

I'd say if you got 230+ and good letters and you apply early, you have a very good shot and you should also concentrate your applications in NY, NJ, Ohio, Penn.

Good luck.

From what I have read, it will be difficult for you unless you do Very Well on Step 2 (240+) and get a HP/A+ in your surgery core and/or surgery sub-I.

Exellent LORs from well known surgery faculty would be ideal.

I have a passing USMLE step I score (186/76%) and have not taken step 2 yet. My grades were avg from basic sciences, good grades in 3rd year. I am very very very interested in Surgery and was wondering what you guys think of my position for applying this year? Do I have a chance? thanks...

I have a passing USMLE step I score (186/76%) and have not taken step 2 yet. My grades were avg from basic sciences, good grades in 3rd year. I am very very very interested in Surgery and was wondering what you guys think of my position for applying this year? Do I have a chance? thanks...

Why are you asking on this forum. There is other forums for this question. Besides, these guys are speculating including myself. We are not medical school students on this forum and we can only be proud that you have passed step 1 and are succeeding in medical school.:laugh:

Way to go!! Don't be fooled by having to get this 240score or this an that. If you want it, and put the work in, you'll get it one way or another. Way to go on making it that far in med school. Kudos.:)

Man, it's not sounding too good for you. I'd post this in the surgery forum. But from reading some of the posts in there, it sounds like you're in a lot of trouble. Again, post your question in there and see what they have to say... good luck.