General surgery vs CT surgery...can't decide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Erythropoietin

EPO
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cardiothoracic surgery has always been my favorite throughout medical school but I also spent a decent amount of time observing a general surgeon. I understand both are tough fields to pursue in, and they both require a lot of sacrifice. I'm not going to compare and contrast general surgery and ct surgery but the only thing that is concerning me in making a decision is the future of ct surgery. I don't know what the future of ct surgery looks like in 10 or 20 years, especially with procedures such as TAVR and TEVAR performed by cardiologists... (and maybe another "procedure X" that will be invented soon?). I have always seen ct surgery as a very special field to pursue in, but I really don't want to just sit around and do nothing.

With general surgery there's so many subspecialties to choose... transplant, endocrine, colorectal...etc... which are all tempting. Also, I have a lot of connections with general surgeons at my local school.

I don't mind dealing with poop and vomit for 5 years, but if the future is really bright for ct surgery I would rather do that than going into general surgery (despite all the connections I have).

Any opinions in helping me decide are much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

CT is a great field, but so is general surgery. Do you have any mentors at your school?

Reactions: 1 user
CT is a great field, but so is general surgery. Do you have any mentors at your school?
Thanks for your response.
We don't have any mentors to give us advice on these kind of things. I just know some general surgeons that I shadowed over the past years and they are big names in the field. So if I do a subspecialty in general surgery, knowing these guys are a plus.
Unfortunately, the ct surgeons that I shadowed do not recommend going into ct surgery; they recommend interventional cardiology but I rather do surgery.

Members don't see this ad :)
CT surgeons will not loose their grip! As you can see more and more CT programs integrate interventional skills, most of the programs have 1-2 month of this rotations but I am sure that with time more and more will be integrated. I am sure than with time TAVI, TEVAR, mitraclips and stuff will be done by CT surgeons that much as is done by cardiology guys. In the end of the day CT surgeon will be fixing the dissected coronary artery after interventional cardiology fail. Every single failed tavi,tevar,mitraclip will be fixed by CT guys. No one will be able to take place of CT guys, relax! I think future is about the organ replacement therapy, more and more transplants and assist devices will be done I think. Never forget who is fixing failed interventions after interventional cardiologists. Never mix up interventional things and surgery. No offense to 1 year trained interventional cardiologists )))) vs I6 guys and 5+3 year CT guys ))))) You got the idea. Anyways I am towards the CT surgery residency or fellowship. It is an amazing specialty, especially if you practice both tracks (thoracic + cardiac), your every single day will be super cool and interesting, tons of new cases.

Reactions: 1 users
At the end of the day, this is a deeply personal question that you're going to have to wrestle with and figure out via time spent with residents for both specialties and hopefully a good mentor who has a good pulse on the field and can answer your questions and give guidance. If you're dead set on CTS, then you should go for the integrated route. It's a much more direct pathway and keeps you saturated around topics much more germane to your eventual occupation than general surgery would. I personally would never recommend going general surgery first anymore if your end goal is CTS/Vascular/Plastics and an integrated route is available. Having said that, I think there are many things that a general slavery...I mean surgery...residency provides that puts you through the fire and teaches you a lot of things about a lot of things. Tough choice either way, but you gotta do you. Cheers.

Reactions: 4 users
At the end of the day, this is a deeply personal question that you're going to have to wrestle with and figure out via time spent with residents for both specialties and hopefully a good mentor who has a good pulse on the field and can answer your questions and give guidance. If you're dead set on CTS, then you should go for the integrated route. It's a much more direct pathway and keeps you saturated around topics much more germane to your eventual occupation than general surgery would. I personally would never recommend going general surgery first anymore if your end goal is CTS/Vascular/Plastics and an integrated route is available. Having said that, I think there are many things that a general slavery...I mean surgery...residency provides that puts you through the fire and teaches you a lot of things about a lot of things. Tough choice either way, but you gotta do you. Cheers.

Being an average student in US med school can get you in to a general surgery program and then in to a CT fellowship. But being an average student is not enough to get in to I6, anyways I think so, just my opinion. Of course if the student has great scores, publications, cool person in live, it is more wise to shoot for I6, but I would have a plan B and of course apply for general surgery. I heared a lot about guys shooting for I6 and then ending in preliminary surgery. Overconfidence = stupidity.

CT surgeons will not loose their grip! As you can see more and more CT programs integrate interventional skills, most of the programs have 1-2 month of this rotations but I am sure that with time more and more will be integrated. I am sure than with time TAVI, TEVAR, mitraclips and stuff will be done by CT surgeons that much as is done by cardiology guys. In the end of the day CT surgeon will be fixing the dissected coronary artery after interventional cardiology fail. Every single failed tavi,tevar,mitraclip will be fixed by CT guys. No one will be able to take place of CT guys, relax! I think future is about the organ replacement therapy, more and more transplants and assist devices will be done I think. Never forget who is fixing failed interventions after interventional cardiologists. Never mix up interventional things and surgery. No offense to 1 year trained interventional cardiologists )))) vs I6 guys and 5+3 year CT guys ))))) You got the idea. Anyways I am towards the CT surgery residency or fellowship. It is an amazing specialty, especially if you practice both tracks (thoracic + cardiac), your every single day will be super cool and interesting, tons of new cases.

Doubtful that most CT surgeons will incorporate high volume of catheter-based cases, as there is a glut of interventional cardiologists out there and they already control the patients.

There will be growth in CT for other reasons, mostly the aging workforce and aging patient population. But you won't be getting the easy interventional cases.

General surgery can have crossover and additive skills, if you want to do mixed trauma/vascular which I am interested in. I also value my level of comfort in the abdomen, ability to primarily take care of super sick patients, and burns/wound experience. But I guess YMMV, depending on where you do residency.

If I had it to do all over again, I would still choose the general surgery and fellowship path.

I would agree with you though for CT and plastics. Zero overlap.

Last edited:
General surgery can have crossover and additive skills, if you want to do mixed trauma/vascular which I am interested in. I also value my level of comfort in the abdomen, ability to primarily take care of super sick patients, and burns/wound experience. But I guess YMMV, depending on where you do residency.

If I had it to do all over again, I would still choose the general surgery and fellowship path.

I would agree with you though for CT and plastics. Zero overlap.

That is a really good point. The comfort level I have working in the abdomen and doing various maneuvers for exposures is invaluable. Plus all of the critical care I’ve learned over the years managing SICU and trauma patients also helps when dealing with fluid shifts in aortic ruptures, etc. I am very thankful for my general surgery training. I’m just so bored reading about thyroids, adrenals and melanoma. Yuck.

That is a really good point. The comfort level I have working in the abdomen and doing various maneuvers for exposures is invaluable. Plus all of the critical care I’ve learned over the years managing SICU and trauma patients also helps when dealing with fluid shifts in aortic ruptures, etc. I am very thankful for my general surgery training. I’m just so bored reading about thyroids, adrenals and melanoma. Yuck.

For me, it’s any cancer or endocrine in general. Barf.

Doubtful that most CT surgeons will incorporate high volume of catheter-based cases, as there is a glut of interventional cardiologists out there and they already control the patients.

There will be growth in CT for other reasons, mostly the aging workforce and aging patient population. But you won't be getting the easy interventional cases.

I mean that with time CT surgeons and residents will get more exposure to endovascular procedures. I agree with you that CT guys will be in demand because of the aging population. But I have noticed that in many institutions in USA CT surgeons are the "heads of tavi programs" and feel that CT surgeons are kind of angry on the world or the cardiologists that they have taken their "piece of bread" so more and more programs incorporate interventional skills, and those surgeons I think become more "angrier". Just think for a moment, you are performing an arch replacement for whole your life and now 1 year fellowship trained person starts to put in stents in aortas, for sure you will go crazy and angry. Just imagine vise versa an endovascular trained CT surgeon will start stenting coronary arteries and taking that easy piece of bread that lasts for 30 minutes? I bet, with time, maybe in next 10 years, CT surgeons will do that much tavi,tevar,mitraclips, and all the new evolving endo procedures as cardiologists do. Anyways I felt on interview videos of CT giants that they are not happy about things going around nowadays. and those people have weight and they will change things in CT favor. Just my opinion based on things that I see and hear. One more offensive thing, I don't trust to guys that fail and call the other guy to fix their problems, You know what I mean. If someone will be fixing my ascending arch with hybrid procedure or totally endo procedure in future, I would choose an CT trained person that can open my chest by his own and fix things! I know that many procedures are done with both persons ct/cardiologists, but I think it is a waste of time and finances if your CT surgeon handles "ballon deflation" and identifies things on fluoroscopy )))

Last edited:
If CT surgery is your ultimate goal, I would explore I6 programs with the knowledge that they are currently the most competitive programs in the Match. Always apply to Gen Surg as a backup and target your general surgery applications to programs that have 4+3 programs within them (Duke, Northwestern etc). Lastly, apply to sole General Surgery programs. Also, if your goal is to largely be a General Thoracic Surgery, a strong General Surgery background will prove useful. If you are planning on doing primarily Cardiac, Congenital, or Thoracic Transplantation, I6 would be more beneficial as your exposure to these fields early on is invaluable. Lastly, understand that Traditional CT Surgery Fellowships have become more competitive over the last 5 years and the number of those positions are decreasing as more I6 programs and 4+3 programs arise.

Being an average student in US med school can get you in to a general surgery program and then in to a CT fellowship.

It may get you into general surgery, but that in no way guarantees a CT fellowship. Traditional CT fellowships have become extremely competitive in the last 4 years (20-30% applicants don’t match, including many American grads from decent residencies).

Don’t know how long the trend will last, but it’s in no way guaranteed like was even 5 or 6 years ago. I’ve posted the actual stats from past years in other threads. Not pretty.

Members don't see this ad :)
It may get you into general surgery, but that in no way guarantees a CT fellowship. Traditional CT fellowships have become extremely competitive in the last 4 years (20-30% applicants don’t match, including many American grads from decent residencies).

Don’t know how long the trend will last, but it’s in no way guaranteed like was even 5 or 6 years ago. I’ve posted the actual stats from past years in other threads. Not pretty.

Completely agree. Have some buddies who went through the match last year and competition was steep. I think it's been close to 100% match rate last 2-3 years. So definitely not a guarantee like transplant or trauma. Don't count them chickens before they hatch them eggs.

I will agree with you because you definitely hold better information and more evidence based, but even though any of the general surgery applicants that fail to match in to CT directly can go and do a dedicated 1 year research, get involved into the CT community and family and match next time. We all know that all this goes down to "who knows you", of course if you are next Debakey with a new methods and ideas you may need no contacts. What I am saying is that if the person is "clever enough" in the real life and gets along with people, holding a general surgery licence is a guarantee to match CT maybe not from the first time. Is not a 5 year spent in general surgery enough to build a great CT application, know people, attend every single year the STS meetings instead of cruising on ships and partyiing 4 weeks a year? Of course if you are from middle tier program and decided to match into CT in your 5th year, probably you would not, as I know this is very small specialty and everyone knows everyone. This all is very logical, and this rules apply not only to surgery and medicine, but overall in life. You can overcome your low tier surgery program with a great application and making sure than a few giants know you. Maybe I am wrong.

but even though any of the general surgery applicants that fail to match in to CT directly can go and do a dedicated 1 year research, get involved into the CT community and family and match next time.

So yes and no. There is still no guarantee you will match even after a 1 year research year. There are a ridiculous amount of overqualified candidates now for a very limited number of spots. Why should a program take someone who didn't match the first time around for whatever reason, when there are plenty of PGY 4's that are already involved with the CT community, have done dedicated CT research, etc etc? The applicant pool is absurdly impressive now a days.

We all know that all this goes down to "who knows you"

Agreed. Having a well known CT surgeon that will make a phone call for you (not just write a letter) is probably one of the most important things in applying. That can fix almost any red flag.

What I am saying is that if the person is "clever enough" in the real life and gets along with people, holding a general surgery licence is a guarantee to match CT maybe not from the first time.

In the current era, it is definitely NOT a guarantee. If anything, you are still behind the 8 ball because there was a reason you didn't match the first time around and programs are going to be looking for those red flags.

Is not a 5 year spent in general surgery enough to build a great CT application, know people, attend every single year the STS meetings instead of cruising on ships and partyiing 4 weeks a year? Of course if you are from middle tier program and decided to match into CT in your 5th year, probably you would not, as I know this is very small specialty and everyone knows everyone. This all is very logical, and this rules apply not only to surgery and medicine, but overall in life. You can overcome your low tier surgery program with a great application and making sure than a few giants know you. Maybe I am wrong.

You can 100% overcome a low tier gen surg program. What I'm saying is that there is absolutely no guarantee to get CT with how competitive it is now. If someone follows your plan -- goes into gen surg, goes to STS conferences and becomes well known (hard to do without someone to introduce you around -- time to let that charisma shine), gets decent absite scores, publishes a couple thoracic manuscripts, and gets a letter from a relatively well known CT surgeon -- then sure, you have a decent chance at matching. Not guaranteed (and not to any of the big name programs), but you'll match somewhere.

If you don't match, a 1 year research spot likely isn't going to help you. You'd have to file for ERAS in November, and you are unlikely to have any real meaningful research by that point. You'll also be unlikely to have a mentor willing to vouch for you 100% after just knowing you for a few months. Most successful people I know that have gone this route have done 2 years of research, so that by the time they apply in the second year they have some publications, and a mentor they've worked with for 15+ months already.

Look at the numbers from the 2017 match (2018 appointment year):
About 115 applicants for 84 spots. 73% match rate. no unfilled spots.

The number of spots continues to shrink too -- 5 years ago there were 102 positions and 30% less applicants.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone. Just know what you're up against if you are shooting for a traditional fellowship -- You need decent ABSITE, legitimate research, and letters from well known CT surgeons. Despite that, you still have a 30% chance of not matching. You need to treat your application as if you were applying for peds. It isn't what it was 10 years ago, and is only going to get more competitive as more traditional programs go I6.

So yes and no. There is still no guarantee you will match even after a 1 year research year. There are a ridiculous amount of overqualified candidates now for a very limited number of spots. Why should a program take someone who didn't match the first time around for whatever reason, when there are plenty of PGY 4's that are already involved with the CT community, have done dedicated CT research, etc etc? The applicant pool is absurdly impressive now a days.

Agreed. Having a well known CT surgeon that will make a phone call for you (not just write a letter) is probably one of the most important things in applying. That can fix almost any red flag.

In the current era, it is definitely NOT a guarantee. If anything, you are still behind the 8 ball because there was a reason you didn't match the first time around and programs are going to be looking for those red flags.

You can 100% overcome a low tier gen surg program. What I'm saying is that there is absolutely no guarantee to get CT with how competitive it is now. If someone follows your plan -- goes into gen surg, goes to STS conferences and becomes well known (hard to do without someone to introduce you around -- time to let that charisma shine), gets decent absite scores, publishes a couple thoracic manuscripts, and gets a letter from a relatively well known CT surgeon -- then sure, you have a decent chance at matching. Not guaranteed (and not to any of the big name programs), but you'll match somewhere.

If you don't match, a 1 year research spot likely isn't going to help you. You'd have to file for ERAS in November, and you are unlikely to have any real meaningful research by that point. You'll also be unlikely to have a mentor willing to vouch for you 100% after just knowing you for a few months. Most successful people I know that have gone this route have done 2 years of research, so that by the time they apply in the second year they have some publications, and a mentor they've worked with for 15+ months already.

The number of spots continues to shrink too -- 5 years ago there were 102 positions and 30% less applicants.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone. Just know what you're up against if you are shooting for a traditional fellowship -- You need decent ABSITE, legitimate research, and letters from well known CT surgeons. Despite that, you still have a 30% chance of not matching. You need to treat your application as if you were applying for peds. It isn't what it was 10 years ago, and is only going to get more competitive as more traditional programs go I6.

I don't want to contradict you since you must know your field better than I do, but I find it hard to believe that an otherwise average resident with good absites, research, and connections on thoracics may not match. A friend of mine (from a lower tier program) just matched without any of the above, to a mid-tier university. Another friend (without any of the above) matched a couple of years ago to what most would consider a first-tier program.

The fact that 30% don't match doesn't mean a lot, if we have no data on the "competitiveness" of the applicants.

That said, it is universally accepted that thoracics as a fellowship is becoming more competitive than in the recent past. But I probably wouldn't compare it to peds.

Thank you for such a thorough response. I don't know why does things become popular and escalate that fastlly. I think the interest towards CT will grow and then fall that much fastlly, CT is a not a piece of cake of course if you practice all the aspects of CT and not only the scheduled valves. Long operations, income less or same like in other subspecialties. How can you preserve a good life balance if you practice aneurysm surgeries and things that last for many hours? I think the atirration rate is also high and PD's are searching for applicants very carefully. Thank you one more time for your response, new applicants will be thankful for your input. And also, there is no such a thing in this world like a "Guarantee". If you put money in a bank there is no guarantee that the bank will not go in bankruptcy and there is also no guarantee if you putt all the $s under your mattress that someone will not steal it . There is no guarantee when you take the loan and get into collage, there is no guarantee when you take your second loan and get into Med school, no guarantee on USMLE and surgery match. But if your heart belongs to CT and you dedicate your life to it (otherwise why would they hire you?), you dedicate your life to grow new generations of this brilliant specialty, PD's with a 20-30 years of experience will notice it like a new generation CT scan, they see you, you are just an open book, and they want to be in same boat with you. And of course if you are like, well ct is cool but also vascular is cool but doing a chunk of money making breasts bigger is also not bad, they will notice that you are not dedicated to this specialty, this is like a relationship with a women, you must have one. If you play double game, well you are in a trouble, they will see that and that will not last long, you can't fool here anyone, we are the lowest part in hierarchy and the most unexperienced. People must first think what they can give to the specialty and to community, and then the doors will open, not the vise versa.

I don't want to contradict you since you must know your field better than I do, but I find it hard to believe that an otherwise average resident with good absites, research, and connections on thoracics may not match. A friend of mine (from a lower tier program) just matched without any of the above, to a mid-tier university. Another friend (without any of the above) matched a couple of years ago to what most would consider a first-tier program.

The fact that 30% don't match doesn't mean a lot, if we have no data on the "competitiveness" of the applicants.

There are exceptions every year, in every program. I know multiple people in the past 2 cycles with similar applications to your friend (mid tier, average resident, good absite, research, adequate connections) that didn't match. As to your other low tier friend -- if it was after the 2015 appointment year, then I find it highly unlikely he matched to a top tier program. Before that though, you could go anywhere with the most mediocre application.

All I can say is that in my program (mid tier university), fellows were included in the interview and selection process. I've seen every app that we invited for an interview. Our 'average' applicant ranked in our top 10 (which we have not gone past since things became competitive) had 2 years of dedicated research, above average ABSITE, and at least 1 strong letter from a big name CT surgeon. I know who matched at the top programs as well last year, and those people made me feel like i've done nothing my entire career.

this is like a relationship with a women, you must have one. If you play double game, well you are in a trouble, they will see that and that will not last long, you can't fool here anyone

I nominate this for SDN quote of the year.

Reactions: 5 users
Not trying to be rude here but how did surgeria get into medical school with such atrocious spelling?

Not trying to be rude here but how did surgeria get into medical school with such atrocious spelling?

Thank you for your kind response. Surgeria is an international medical student speaking on 4 different languages.

well people, those are some great responses.
what about specializing in general surgery? any thoughts on that? (especially transplant)

Cardiothoracic surgery has always been my favorite throughout medical school but I also spent a decent amount of time observing a general surgeon. I understand both are tough fields to pursue in, and they both require a lot of sacrifice. I'm not going to compare and contrast general surgery and ct surgery but the only thing that is concerning me in making a decision is the future of ct surgery. I don't know what the future of ct surgery looks like in 10 or 20 years, especially with procedures such as TAVR and TEVAR performed by cardiologists... (and maybe another "procedure X" that will be invented soon?). I have always seen ct surgery as a very special field to pursue in, but I really don't want to just sit around and do nothing.

For one, it's the vascular surgeon and the interventional radiologists who will be plucking most of the TEVARs out of your hands. Fortunately, the natural point of encroachment for interventional cardiologists is into peripheral stenting.

There's always going to be an evolution. Some day, there may be a pill that puts all thoracic oncologists out of business in the same way that PPIs and treatment of H. Pylori changed the face of general surgery. People will adapt. Especially when their lives depend on it.

People have been talking about the death of the CABG since the first angioplasty, but the good lord put the LIMA there for a reason, and that's to do the LIMA-to-LAD.

With general surgery there's so many subspecialties to choose... transplant, endocrine, colorectal...etc... which are all tempting. Also, I have a lot of connections with general surgeons at my local school.

I don't mind dealing with poop and vomit for 5 years, but if the future is really bright for ct surgery I would rather do that than going into general surgery (despite all the connections I have).

Any opinions in helping me decide are much appreciated.

If you don't know, then general surgery offers the option of delaying the choice until late in your general surgery residency when you have more data at your disposal. This may be the best route given that the fields you have all referenced are quite different, and there's no way you can really know what you like until you get in there and do it a bit.

You do miss the extra time spent immersing yourself in the field compared to an I6, but you don't even know if you would want to do it. It's probably better to miss a few years of looking at echos than to jump into a field that you're not sure you will like.

Despite of what many gen guys might say, having a specialized spot is a sweet gig, dont overlook that.