GENESEO/NYIT BS/DO v.s NORTHEASTERN PHARM D

Started by deleted763562
Tags Tags
bs/do pharmd
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted763562

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!

This is my first time using this website, so forgive me if I make a few mistakes.
I am a senior in high school on Long Island, and currently, I am pondering between two schools.
I have been accepted into the GENESEO/NYIT 7 year BS/DO program. I have to maintain a 3.5 GPA throughout all seven years while also receiving a minimum MCAT score equivalent to the class entering NYIT.
On the other hand, I have also been accepted into the Northeastern 6 year PharmD. program. Northeastern has convinced me with their many different Co-op opportunities, and the lower GPA average needed to maintain is a 3.2. There is no PCAT required.

Financial-wise, Geneseo is offering me multiple grants to pay for the 3 years of undergraduate education, leaving me with only few thousand in loans a year to pay. However, like usual, the 4 years at NYIT I will probably have to pay the full amount without any aid.
Northeastern is offering me similarly in costs, leaving me with only a few thousand a year. They are giving me this same cost for the full six years, leaving me with less debt in loans to pay off compared to Geneseo/NYIT.

Career wise, I know that I would be able to work in both types of occupations. However, I'm worried about the future of Pharmacy, where I've heard that it is on a downhill slope. Also, I am worried about the difficulty that I may face during my years at Geneseo and NYIT.

I hope that someone could provide me with some good advice that would help me!

Thank you
 
Hello!

This is my first time using this website, so forgive me if I make a few mistakes.
I am a senior in high school on Long Island, and currently, I am pondering between two schools.
I have been accepted into the GENESEO/NYIT 7 year BS/DO program. I have to maintain a 3.5 GPA throughout all seven years while also receiving a minimum MCAT score equivalent to the class entering NYIT.
On the other hand, I have also been accepted into the Northeastern 6 year PharmD. program. Northeastern has convinced me with their many different Co-op opportunities, and the lower GPA average needed to maintain is a 3.2. There is no PCAT required.

Financial-wise, Geneseo is offering me multiple grants to pay for the 3 years of undergraduate education, leaving me with only few thousand in loans a year to pay. However, like usual, the 4 years at NYIT I will probably have to pay the full amount without any aid.
Northeastern is offering me similarly in costs, leaving me with only a few thousand a year. They are giving me this same cost for the full six years, leaving me with less debt in loans to pay off compared to Geneseo/NYIT.

Career wise, I know that I would be able to work in both types of occupations. However, I'm worried about the future of Pharmacy, where I've heard that it is on a downhill slope. Also, I am worried about the difficulty that I may face during my years at Geneseo and NYIT.

I hope that someone could provide me with some good advice that would help me!

Thank you

This is a question of do you want to be a doctor or a pharmacist. Personally I think geneso is a better bet than northeastern. Geneseo is a state school, cheap, good reputation. The agreement with NYIT is just icing on that cake. If you want to do pharamcy you still can out of geneseo obviously. Personally I would go with that route.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you want to be a doctor or a pharmacist?

I personally think I would be happy with either, but I'm just worried about the difficulty of the coursework and maintaining that 3.5 at Geneseo/NYIT. I think I would be happier becoming a doctor however...
 
I personally think I would be happy with either, but I'm just worried about the difficulty of the coursework and maintaining that 3.5 at Geneseo/NYIT. I think I would be happier becoming a doctor however...

If you think you'll enjoy being a doctor more, you'll need to try to maintain at least a 3.5 anyways to be competitive(especially in 4 years when you start applying).
I understand it's tough to make that kind of decision at your age however, if you go to Geneseo theyll motivate you to maintain that competitive gpa and you'll hopefully be prepared for your MCAT. Which will help you be a competitive applicant anywhere, so your options will stay open.

Geneseo/NYIT hands down.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
The whole thing is stupid- these undergrad to DO/MD programs exist to trap people with high enough stats into a particular program rather than giving them a shot at applying elsewhere. Go for a normal degree and get into an MD school if you can, go DO if you can't- a 3.5 with a high enough GPA can get you either. Unless you want to be a pharmacist (though, seriously, why?) then go pharmacy.
 
Hi! I am currently in the BS/DO program at NYIT so if you have any questions you can PM me


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile