Genetics and Biochemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sairules

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all --

I have another question and would appreciate some input on this. I'm a nontraditional applicant (will be applying next year for 2004). My major is computer science. I am working on the pre-med reqs.. and all I need is Bio II and Organic I and II. However, should I also take a class in Genetics and Biochemistry? I know some schools REQUIRE biochemistry... but generally the requirements are only Bio I and II, General Chem I and II, Organic I and II, and Physics I and II. Will it strengthen my application if I take Biochem and Genetics? If I do, it won't be on my inital application because I can't take it until next Fall. (I will have graduated from my BS in CS in the summer). I will be applying to all the Florida schools (4) plus a handfull of others. Please let me know what you guys think!

Members don't see this ad.

While most schools do not require either of these subjects, taking them can only help you in two ways. First, you'll have a heads up on these topics when they show up on the MCAT, particularly when they talk about metabolic pathways. Second, having exposure to these subjects will give you some heads up during medical school when they teach biochemistry and human genetics. Just my opinion.

I think it's a good idea to take biochemistry and genetics if you can fit it into your schedule. I took both of these classes while applying. It gave me an additional thing to talk about during interviews.

If you do well in these classes, you can send the transcript and it could possibly help you gain an acceptance if your science gpa was bringing you down before.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need it, but I think it will help you on the MCAT. Biochem's usually required and genetics is helpful and required for some schools (USC requires some molecular bio). I would try to fit it in before matriculation.

I had taken genetics before I took the MCAT, and I found that it helped IMMENSELY! The genetics questions on the MCAT aren't all that involved, so after taking an intense college genetics course they seem like a breeze!

On the other hand, I'm not sure how useful biochem would be for the MCAT. I didn't take it until AFTER the MCAT, but it seems to me that I didn't learn anything in biochem that would've been useful, at least nothing I hadn't already learned in my intro biology and orgo classes.

I guess taking both genetics and biochem would be nice, and helpful. But don't worry if you can't fit it all in. I wouldn't delay applying or taking the MCAT because of these two courses; that'd be a bit drastic.

I believe that they are planning on adding some genetics questions to the MCAT beginning with the next April exam. Could prove helpful to take the class, but I'm not sure how in-depth it will be on the test.

My advice would be to look through the MSAR and see which schools REQUIRE biochemistry and/or genetics - very few actually do (many recommend it but don't actually require you to take it). If there are some schools in there that you would be really heartbroken to give up, then go ahead and take what you need to.

If, on the other hand, you wouldn't be sacrificing your dream school(s), I would say don't bother taking those classes. You don't need them for the MCAT (they may help, but you will be FINE without them). You will have to work a little harder in med school when covering these topics, but if you are a CS major and premed I assume you are comfortable with science. You will strengthen your application more by doing research/volunteer work than by taking more science classes.

Just my opinion based on my own experience. I know others disagree.

I am taking those two courses plus cell/molec this fall. I was told by my pre-med advisor that the 2003 April MCAT will have less organic and more biochem and genetics questions. Although I am almost sure that they will not be too in depth, I think that it will only help me understand the bigger picture better. Also if you are non-trad I think the adcom's will be impressed that you went beyond the call of duty.. :wink:
On the other hand if your schedule is pretty busy and you think that you will not be able to do well in the classes do not take them. I think that we also need to think in terms of what we *enjoy* to take versus will it get me into medical school. I am a non-science major but love science so any bio/chem/math I can take is like manna from heaven. Good luck.

I just finished my second semester of biochem on tuesday. *YAY!!* Biochem is a highly demanding class, but I feel that it really helped me a lot on the mcat. I definately would recommend taking it. The genetics class is useful too, but if you were to choose one over the other, I would pick biochem.
Just my 2 cents...

I didn't take biochem, so I can't recommend it. But I hear it helps once you start medschool. I definitely recommend taking genetics.