Genetics or cell bio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedBball23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of thinking of taking A&P II Ecology and cell bio/genetics which is slightly easier? Tested on the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Both are on the MCAT. Take genetics. Cell bio MCAT content can be covered in a good biochem course.
Taking Genetics now will serve you well. But, depending on your school, it is less likely to be "easier." Check with other students who've taken the course and review the textbook to help you decide.

Members don't see this ad :)
Easiesness is entirely dependent on school and particular professor. Ask students, see the syllabus(some profs will give easy points like participation or HW assignments to boost grades) and other info like that.

Both classes are very helpful. It's true alot of cell bio can be covered in a good biochem class which you will essentially have to tkae, but I don't necessairly think you need to take a genetics class to learn the info tested on the MCAT. My personal experience was genetics class went pretty in-depth with the material and the tests were full of problem solving questions which while a good learning experience don't necessairly resemble what you'll be tested on on the MCAT or later on in the field of medicine(I remember for my class there was a good bit of math needed for these tests) and aren't always the kindest things to GPAs. Just food for thought; unless there is a clear discrepancy in your school of one being much harder or taught much worse you can't go wrong with either.

I took both Cell Biology and Genetics in the same semester, and they both have information that can help on the mcat. Cell Biology is considered more difficult at my school, but that's only because of the professor who teaches it. Do your research on the professors teaching the classes and then make your decision.

There is genetics on the MCAT, but MCAT prep books are more than enough. I got a 14 on the bio section using Examkrackers and never having taken a full genetics course. The material did show up on the exam, and the books were adequate.

I would say take cell bio: it's useful material for many other bio courses such as biochem/developmental biology/signal transduction.