genetics or evolutionary biology?

Started by sm521
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sm521

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello all..

i just transferred into a 4-year college, after coming from a community college. my major is biology and, for the required curriculum, we are required to take either genetics or evolutionary biology as a core biology class. which would you recommend? or does neither help with future pharmacy classes?

thanks !
 
Take genetics because genetics is a pre-requisite for some schools & plus there is some genetics on the pcat
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Genetics.

That's nice that they give you a choice! I'm a biology major and my university makes me take both. I'm currently in Evolutionary Bio and although it's interesting, it wouldn't contribute to your understanding of pharmacy like genetics would. I agree with above, genetics a pre-req for some schools so hands down- better investment.
 
The university that I attend also requires both courses. That would be awesome if we had your pre-req's, I would have graduated by now. Our genetics course had a lab to go with it, evolution does not. It was also slightly more difficult and I partially blame our professor for that. As far as preparing for the pcat I thought there was a few potential questions covering evolution as well. It has been awhile since I took the pcat and I purged all that information already. Assuming that the curriculum is the same as what I went through I would say; if you want an easy grade take evolution, if you want to learn something you may potentially put to use take genetics. Good luck!