geometry problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Greensalad

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
from topscore, "chords AB and CD of circle O intersect at E. If AE=4, AB=5, CE=2, find ED"

What is this picture supposed to look like???

topscore didn't draw it out, it just said make the lines touch the circle

Members don't see this ad.

well you should obvioiusly have a circle and a chord is a line that runs inside the circle but does not pass the center of the circle. SO all you have are two chords of different length intersecting each other.

well you should obvioiusly have a circle and a chord is a line that runs inside the circle but does not pass the center of the circle. SO all you have are two chords of different length intersecting each other.

OBVIOUSLY...topscore says "draw a circle with center O. Draw an X above the circle connecting either side of the circle." what the hell is that? someone draw it out for me?

Members don't see this ad :)
that is correct and would be the case if the the lines were inside the circle, but topscore's solution says the lines intersect outside of the circle!

Wow, that's weird. Wouldn't lines outside the circle be tangents vice chords? I think that may be what they are referring to, 2 tangents that cross outside the circle...

This problem is so vague if what I'm about to say is true: the tangent lines end ONCE they touch the circle. Topscore sucks. Agree?