George Mason (GeorgeSquared) Advanced Biomedical Sciences Certificate 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cupbored

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied for this program? And any tips for the application? It seems pretty straightforward, but I'm worried about my low sGPA. Since there isn't a formal essay required, the letters of recommendations seems like the best shot.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone applied for this program? And any tips for the application? It seems pretty straightforward, but I'm worried about my low sGPA. Since there isn't a formal essay required, the letters of recommendations seems like the best shot.

Hey! After submitting your application, I believe it's a requirement to upload a personal statement, or a Goals Statement as GMU calls it. If you'd like to discuss your low sGPA, this might be the place do it. I submitted my application today, so I'll let you know if I find anything else out. I haven't seen a lot about this program on this site, but I have heard from friends that they know people in the program that love it.

The only tip for the application that I can give is to only fill the application out in one of their recommended browsers. Google chrome is not supported by their application service, and it wouldn't let me submit the application.. I finally got it to go through using Internet Explorer.

Have any of you heard back?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Have any of you heard back?
Thanks
I haven't heard anything. My application was marked complete on May 15th. I reached out to one of the program administrators and they said they received my app about a week after it was marked complete and that I should hear something in about 3-4 weeks.

I haven't heard anything. My application was marked complete on May 15th. I reached out to one of the program administrators and they said they received my app about a week after it was marked complete and that I should hear something in about 3-4 weeks.
Ohh okay thanks!! The waiting process is the hardest part!

Ohh okay thanks!! The waiting process is the hardest part!
It's literally the worst. I wish I could just fast forward to the decisions for all of my apps, so that I know what I'll be doing this fall! :laugh:

Hi all! I just graduated from the GeorgeSquared Advanced Biomedical Sciences program in May 2018. Please feel welcome to post any questions you may have. I would love to share my insight and be as transparent as possible, since I too was in your shoes searching on SDN last year. If you have any academic or formal questions (such as your credentials, application process, deadlines), I recommend that you email the program directly. Otherwise, I can answer away here!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all! I just graduated from the GeorgeSquared Advanced Biomedical Sciences program in May 2018. Please feel welcome to post any questions you may have. I would love to share my insight and be as transparent as possible, since I too was in your shoes searching on SDN last year. If you have any academic or formal questions (such as your credentials, application process, deadlines), I recommend that you email the program directly. Otherwise, I can answer away here!

Did you enjoy the program? How rigorous was it? Did you take the MCAT before or after the program? Are you doing the masters after at Gtown? Did you have to pick between other programs and George Squared, if so, why did you pick George Squared?

I would love to hear more about your experience as well!

Did you enjoy the program? How rigorous was it? Did you take the MCAT before or after the program? Are you doing the masters after at Gtown? Did you have to pick between other programs and George Squared, if so, why did you pick George Squared?

Hi! Thank you for your questions! Let me know if you have any more.

1) Did you enjoy the program?
I highly enjoyed the program and it exceeded my expectations.

2) How rigorous was it?
The curriculum is rigorous, but definitely doable if you focus, study diligently, and adjust quickly to shortcomings you may have after exam scores are released and different instructors who teach different modules in a course. I attended a large 4-year university and took courses from that university after graduating. The courses in GeorgeSquared are truly graduate-level, and I worked much harder than I had previously done so in undergraduate and afterwards. The averages on exams within my cohort fell between 75% - 84%, so we had a smart group. One thing that was very important to me was that courses did not have a cap on the number of students who got certain letter grades. Unlike some undergraduate universities, only a certain amount of students can get As. At GeorgeSquared, the entire class can get an A if their overall percentage in the course reflects an A.

3) Did you take the MCAT before or after the program?
I took the MCAT back in 2015 (uncompetitive score), and will be re-taking it in 2019. The program strongly discourages students to study for their MCAT/ DAT during the academic year with our course load. However, I know students who did so and who are currently studying for their respective exams. I cannot speak for them at this time. The reason why I personally chose to take the exam after GeorgeSquared is because the program shaped me to study more efficiently and critically. Biochemistry is a course during fall semester and this will prepare you tremendously for the MCAT. Thus, I wanted to be the best student version of myself before tackling the MCAT one more time.

4) Are you doing the masters after at Georgetown?
I am! If you graduate GeorgeSquared with a 3.0 and pass the spring semester required courses with a B or better, you may apply to Georgetown and transfer your GeorgeSquared units. You may finish the M.S in Physiology in the summer semester or full academic year.

5) Did you have to pick between other programs and George Squared, if so, why did you pick George Squared?
I compared many programs and made a pros/cons list for each, so my decision to attend GeorgeSquared came with sincere consideration. For me, I wanted graduate-level courses because I wanted a GPA on my medical school applications completely separate from my undergraduate GPA. While GeorgeSquared unfortunately does not have any linkage opportunities to medical schools, I was impressed by the curriculum, instructors, and academic support offered. I also chose this program for several personal reasons, such as cost of living, quality of life, the diversity of the students, cost, and opportunities to network and plant roots since I would like to remain in the area for medical school.

Hope that helped! Please feel welcome to ask me more!

Let me know if you have any specific questions! Happy to share my experiences!

Would commuting 40 minutes to school be bad? What has the success rate for getting into medical school/dental school been after the program? How likely are students admitted into Georgetown after completing the program

Members don't see this ad :)
Would commuting 40 minutes to school be bad? What has the success rate for getting into medical school/dental school been after the program? How likely are students admitted into Georgetown after completing the program

1) Would commuting 40 minutes to school be bad?
I don't believe commuting is bad at all. Although I lived on-campus, many of my peers who did exceptional in the program were commuting, some from over an hour away. As a commuter, you'll need to be extra aware of your time-management skills, but you can do it!

In the fall (for my 2017-2018 academic year), the earliest class began at 10:30am and the latest class went until 4:15pm. In the spring, the earliest class began at 11am and the latest class ended at 3:45pm. Please note that I did not have class everyday for this full chunk of time--I just wanted to provide a window of when you can anticipate being on campus. Classes meet MWF, TTh, WF, or one day a week, depending on the class. I had at most two classes on a given day. In the fall, we had Fridays off. In the spring, we had Tuesdays and Thursdays off if we were not in the extra elective course that met on Tuesday morning.

2) What has the success rate for getting into medical school/dental school been after the program? How likely are students admitted into Georgetown after completing the program?
I encourage you to direct these more formal questions to the program itself. I am not trying to dodge these great questions by any means, but because I just graduated from GeorgeSquared, have not yet applied to medical school with GeorgeSquared on my record, and do not know the behind-the-scenes statistics, I would not want to mislead you.

If you have any more excellent questions, please let me know!

And what were your stats after the program? Any advice on how to be successful?

1) What were your stats after the program?
Numbers-wise: I did exceptionally well! I commend the tough curriculum, excellent instructors, and supplemental faculty for challenging me in a way that completely shifted the way I studied.

Health-wise: I did not have issues with sleep, nutrition, mental health, or physical health. Of course, there were times when I felt overwhelmed, anxious about an approaching exam, or sleepless because I wanted to power through a lecture before bed, but I just want to share that doing well in this program did not come at the cost of my health. Learning how to balance all of these important factors takes time, and I definitely witnessed classmates struggling with one or two. That initial struggle is completely okay, but know that you'll still be able to maintain a healthy lifestyle while in this program.

Quality-of-life-wise: I am happy with my decision to come here! During the year, I was able to unplug and enjoy life every once in a while. I took the metro out to DC a few times, spent time with family and friends, all while doing my best in the program.

2) Any advice on how to be successful?
Absolutely. First, you need to establish realistic and attainable goals for yourself before you begin the program. For example, my goal was not to get perfect scores on exams, but instead to do my absolute very best in the program and adjust when I fell short. Remember why you want to be here and how it will propel you forward. This way, your goals become your fuel during the grueling nights spent memorizing the muscles in your limbs or learning biochemical pathways that appear almost impossible.

Second, utilize the supplemental faculty. They are essentially teaching assistants and in my year, we had four of them. Their brilliant minds break down course content into more digestible and relatable ways, so they are a resource I highly, highly recommend.

Third, practice problems! You cannot do enough. Instructors and supplemental faculty release practice problems before exams. The recommended textbooks also have practice problems in the back. My classmates also shared online flashcards for a few courses like anatomy and histology.

If you have any more specific questions, please let me know! I can dive deeper if needed, but I hope this worked!

1) What were your stats after the program?
Numbers-wise: I did exceptionally well! I commend the tough curriculum, excellent instructors, and supplemental faculty for challenging me in a way that completely shifted the way I studied.

Health-wise: I did not have issues with sleep, nutrition, mental health, or physical health. Of course, there were times when I felt overwhelmed, anxious about an approaching exam, or sleepless because I wanted to power through a lecture before bed, but I just want to share that doing well in this program did not come at the cost of my health. Learning how to balance all of these important factors takes time, and I definitely witnessed classmates struggling with one or two. That initial struggle is completely okay, but know that you'll still be able to maintain a healthy lifestyle while in this program.

Quality-of-life-wise: I am happy with my decision to come here! During the year, I was able to unplug and enjoy life every once in a while. I took the metro out to DC a few times, spent time with family and friends, all while doing my best in the program.

2) Any advice on how to be successful?
Absolutely. First, you need to establish realistic and attainable goals for yourself before you begin the program. For example, my goal was not to get perfect scores on exams, but instead to do my absolute very best in the program and adjust when I fell short. Remember why you want to be here and how it will propel you forward. This way, your goals become your fuel during the grueling nights spent memorizing the muscles in your limbs or learning biochemical pathways that appear almost impossible.

Second, utilize the supplemental faculty. They are essentially teaching assistants and in my year, we had four of them. Their brilliant minds break down course content into more digestible and relatable ways, so they are a resource I highly, highly recommend.

Third, practice problems! You cannot do enough. Instructors and supplemental faculty release practice problems before exams. The recommended textbooks also have practice problems in the back. My classmates also shared online flashcards for a few courses like anatomy and histology.

If you have any more specific questions, please let me know! I can dive deeper if needed, but I hope this worked!
Thank you for sharing your awesome experience! I am bit worried about anatomy and physiology. My biology grades were not the best in my undergraduate hence why I applied to ABS program... and have a history of dropping anatomy class since I was overwhelmed about the course load (The class pace was extremely fast and I felt falling behind every time I attended lecture so I decided to drop the course so I don't fail..), and I'm sure the graduate level biology classes are much harder than undergraduate.. Do you have any advice how to approach on those courses?

Also, how often did you have to travel to Georgetown University for labs or classes? How was the environment between peers (collaborative/competitive) and between faculties (approachable, etc.)?

Thank you!

Thank you for sharing your awesome experience! I am bit worried about anatomy and physiology. My biology grades were not the best in my undergraduate hence why I applied to ABS program... and have a history of dropping anatomy class since I was overwhelmed about the course load (The class pace was extremely fast and I felt falling behind every time I attended lecture so I decided to drop the course so I don't fail..), and I'm sure the graduate level biology classes are much harder than undergraduate.. Do you have any advice how to approach on those courses?

Also, how often did you have to travel to Georgetown University for labs or classes? How was the environment between peers (collaborative/competitive) and between faculties (approachable, etc.)?

Thank you!

Hi! Thank you for reaching out! Let me do my best to answer your questions.

1) Do you have any advice how to approach on those courses [Anatomy and physiology]?
Well, by the time you make it to spring semester which is when you will have these two courses, it will already be an accomplishment because you're halfway done with the certificate! By this point, I would hope that you wouldn't want to drop out, so use the momentum of being halfway done to carry you forward.

Physiology was challenging because different instructors led different modules. One instructor led fluid dynamics, another one led cardio, another one led GI, another one led endocrine, ect. Not only was it challenging at first for me to adjust to their different teaching styles, but it was also a challenge to anticipate how the exams would be because the exam writer was not one sole instructor. This style of having multiple instructors is the reality of professional schools, so I knew that I would have to get comfortable with it eventually, and I am happy that I got to learn how to approach it in ABS. The instructors incorporate clinical cases and practice problem workshops into their modules, which are very, very helpful! I recommend going to class, reading the textbook (our instructors, Dr. Myers and Dr. Mulroney wrote the textbook, so why wouldn't you read it?), and re-do all of the problem solving workshops.

Anatomy is still very fast-paced here in ABS! Lectures are twice a week for two hours and yes, these lectures are dense. Truthfully, I did not have the time to filter through the textbook, but I did make sure that I knew everything on the lecture slides. The cadaver labs at Georgetown are absolutely spectacular (my favorite part about ABS), but you get the most out of them when you are actually prepared. This meant that I would need to have done a few passes at the material before heading out to the cadaver lab. For unit 2 (abdominal cavity), I felt best prepared for the cadaver lab and this is what made it so enjoyable. When you know the blood vessels, nerves, bones, and organs, you can actually follow along with your cadaver instructor.

Big picture: You have to be diligent about staying on top of you material. On weekends, I made sure that I was caught up on rewatching all the lecture captures. Space out your studying. For anatomy and physiology here, you legitimately cannot cram it in a weekend. It took me about a week of solid, hardcore studying to feel ready for the exams.

2) How often did you have to travel to Georgetown University for labs or classes?
Classes are regularly held in Manassas, VA. We traveled to Georgetown a total of three times in the 15-week semester: February, March, and May. Classes at Georgetown began at 11:30am and lab sessions were one hour between the time frame of 1pm - 4pm. Thus, the latest you could possibly be there is 5pm.

3) How was the environment between peers (collaborative/competitive) and between faculties (approachable, etc.)?
Between peers: Great! I had no issues. I thought my peers were very sweet, collaborative, and brilliant. I tend to study alone, but when I did need to reach out for help, there was no shortage of classmates who would help me. With the faculty, again, I had no issues. I spoke to the director and assistant director frequently and the instructors were very responsive to emails (responded within 48 hours) and were available to meet in person if needed. The supplemental faculty (teaching assistants) were my most valuable resource. There are four of them and I mostly ran to them when I needed help with the material.

I hope this helps! Please feel welcome to share any more questions!

Reactions: 3 users
Do you know what the stats are of the incoming students? I am worried that my sGPA (3.0) and GPA (3.4) are on the lower end for the program. Any feedback would be helpuful, thank you!

Hi! Thank you for your questions! Let me know if you have any more.

1) Did you enjoy the program?
I highly enjoyed the program and it exceeded my expectations.

2) How rigorous was it?
The curriculum is rigorous, but definitely doable if you focus, study diligently, and adjust quickly to shortcomings you may have after exam scores are released and different instructors who teach different modules in a course. I attended a large 4-year university and took courses from that university after graduating. The courses in GeorgeSquared are truly graduate-level, and I worked much harder than I had previously done so in undergraduate and afterwards. The averages on exams within my cohort fell between 75% - 84%, so we had a smart group. One thing that was very important to me was that courses did not have a cap on the number of students who got certain letter grades. Unlike some undergraduate universities, only a certain amount of students can get As. At GeorgeSquared, the entire class can get an A if their overall percentage in the course reflects an A.

3) Did you take the MCAT before or after the program?
I took the MCAT back in 2015 (uncompetitive score), and will be re-taking it in 2019. The program strongly discourages students to study for their MCAT/ DAT during the academic year with our course load. However, I know students who did so and who are currently studying for their respective exams. I cannot speak for them at this time. The reason why I personally chose to take the exam after GeorgeSquared is because the program shaped me to study more efficiently and critically. Biochemistry is a course during fall semester and this will prepare you tremendously for the MCAT. Thus, I wanted to be the best student version of myself before tackling the MCAT one more time.

4) Are you doing the masters after at Georgetown?
I am! If you graduate GeorgeSquared with a 3.0 and pass the spring semester required courses with a B or better, you may apply to Georgetown and transfer your GeorgeSquared units. You may finish the M.S in Physiology in the summer semester or full academic year.

5) Did you have to pick between other programs and George Squared, if so, why did you pick George Squared?
I compared many programs and made a pros/cons list for each, so my decision to attend GeorgeSquared came with sincere consideration. For me, I wanted graduate-level courses because I wanted a GPA on my medical school applications completely separate from my undergraduate GPA. While GeorgeSquared unfortunately does not have any linkage opportunities to medical schools, I was impressed by the curriculum, instructors, and academic support offered. I also chose this program for several personal reasons, such as cost of living, quality of life, the diversity of the students, cost, and opportunities to network and plant roots since I would like to remain in the area for medical school.

Hope that helped! Please feel welcome to ask me more!

Are the grades curved at all?

Do you know what the stats are of the incoming students? I am worried that my sGPA (3.0) and GPA (3.4) are on the lower end for the program. Any feedback would be helpuful, thank you!

Hi! Great questions! I suggest reaching out to the program itself to get the most accurate answers. Honestly, give the program a call and leave a message. They're super sweet!

Are the grades curved at all?

1) Are the grades curved at all?

It depends on the instructor and perhaps the highest score on the exam. As I mentioned in a post above, there is no cap on how many students can receive an A--You get what you earn.

How competitive is the program?

1) How competitive is the program?

Competition between peers: I personally didn't find it cut-throat-competitive whatsoever. Naturally, your classmates are going to be really smart! My study group was my rock throughout the year and there were a handful of students that I reached out to when I needed help or clarification. No one turned me away when I needed their help, so I valued the vibe between my peers. Also, my cohort consisted of people who were genuinely kind and cool people.

While I didn't experience any malicious competition, I would also like to point out that my peers were still very driven to get excellent grades on exams. Who doesn't want to earn the highest score on the exam? Competition can sometimes 'turn up the heat', and I felt the heat of wanting to do my best in the program, but without the misery of crazy competitive peers.

Competitive courses: The courses aren't a walk in the park and you definitely need to put in the work to earn the grades you want. Daily, I studied 3-4 hours before or after class, and on Saturdays, I studied 8 hours. During the final stretch before an exam, I could get up to 5-6 hours of studying each weekday outside of class and could get up to 9-10 hours a day on the weekends.

Hope that helped! Thanks again for sharing your question!

Hello! I just got accepted into the program and I'm having quite a few doubts before officially accepting. I'm from CA and I have a lot of nerves moving so far away, and as I went to go visit the school, it seemed really isolated and kind of lonely per say? Maybe I came at an off time, but I wanted to know if that usually changes like is there a lot of student life on campus? It seemed like there was no one there... and it kind of terrified me a little bit, but knew that it was a graduate school program so I was presuming that everyone was studying.

Another question I had was where do students mostly live if not in beacon hall? Are there apartments off campus that a shuttle can go to if possible and is it necessarily required to have a car there? I don't want to feel like I'm trapped at the school.. if you know what I mean?

I'm just nervous to move so far away, although being also very excited for the acceptance and did the year go by really fast? I'm just worried and hopefully there can be some insight of how it went?

Hello! I just got accepted into the program and I'm having quite a few doubts before officially accepting. I'm from CA and I have a lot of nerves moving so far away, and as I went to go visit the school, it seemed really isolated and kind of lonely per say? Maybe I came at an off time, but I wanted to know if that usually changes like is there a lot of student life on campus? It seemed like there was no one there... and it kind of terrified me a little bit, but knew that it was a graduate school program so I was presuming that everyone was studying.

Another question I had was where do students mostly live if not in beacon hall? Are there apartments off campus that a shuttle can go to if possible and is it necessarily required to have a car there? I don't want to feel like I'm trapped at the school.. if you know what I mean?

I'm just nervous to move so far away, although being also very excited for the acceptance and did the year go by really fast? I'm just worried and hopefully there can be some insight of how it went?

First of all, congrats! I moved from the West Coast to do this program, and yes, the program went by incredibly fast. There are many housing options around the campus, and you can find roommates through peers in your program. It's not lonely, everyone is always studying together.

Last edited: