George Washington?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rank2Match

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why doesn't the George Washington anesthesiology program get any love?

I understand that it may not be at the same academic level as programs such as Penn, Columbia, MGH, etc. but is it really that bad? Would I be crazy to have it high on my list in the mix with these other programs?

When I interviewed there, I was actually surprised by how much I liked the program. It's located in a great area of DC. The residents were extremely friendly and like-able and seemed to be genuinely happy there. Its a smaller program in a smaller, but brand-new hospital, and it seemed to have a relatively laid-back collegial feel. Other than transplant, they seemed to see all types of cases and meet numbers easily. The PD and Chair seemed very involved and dedicated to improving the program.

Unfortunately, I keep hearing people say that GW just isn't a good program. What am I missing?

Members don't see this ad.

I had heard some rumblings about it not being a great program, but like you, I was surprised by how much I liked the program after interviewing there. I am very curious to see what others have to say.

not to ruin the thread...but I also liked GW a lot on the interview trail...and have heard the same rumblings throughout the trail, from some faculty and other applicants.

So yeah I'm torn as far as my rank list goes.

Nothing? Any current/former residents from GW or applicants with any sort of knowledge that can help shed some light on the program?