Georgetown GEMS 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does this program only accept African Americans or give precedence of them over others?

Members don't see this ad.

Does this program only accept African Americans or give precedence of them over others?

From my understanding they are looking for underrepresented minorities and disadvantaged students. The first person I met from the GEMS program was Hispanic. They allow you to define what disadvantage means to you in the application essay.

All demographics are accepted into the program! While majority of the current GEMS and GEMS graduates were African American, I saw plenty of Hispanics, Asians and Caucasians. Disadvantaged doesn’t necessarily mean minority. It’s just that minorities on average (although there are exceptions), tend to be more disadvantaged due to ACEs than other demographics.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thought interviews were done being passed out but I got a missed call this afternoon...

Reactions: 2 users
Thought interviews were done being passed out but I got a missed call this afternoon...

Was it from a blocked number? I wonder why they didn’t leave a message.

Was it from a blocked number? I wonder why they didn’t leave a message.

Yes, multiple times. My voicemail was full, so that probably explains why they didn't leave a message. I'll follow up with them on Monday.

Reactions: 1 users
For those of you who interviewed, would you be willing to share the vibe of the day? Was it very formal/tense? Or more comfortable/relaxed? Did you feel an air of competitiveness or comraderie among the interviewee group? Did you all get a chance to talk to each other? Was it a large group?
Also, ladies, did you follow the strict ‘med school’ dress code or go more business casual?
I hope it was a fantastic day and yall rocked it!

For those of you who interviewed, would you be willing to share the vibe of the day? Was it very formal/tense? Or more comfortable/relaxed? Did you feel an air of competitiveness or comraderie among the interviewee group? Did you all get a chance to talk to each other? Was it a large group?
Also, ladies, did you follow the strict ‘med school’ dress code or go more business casual?
I hope it was a fantastic day and yall rocked it!

It really just depends on the type of person you are. I'm sure for some, interview day was intense. But for me, I thought it was pretty fun. The overall vibe of the faculty and past GEMS students was down to earth, friendly, and encouraging. And you could really tell that the GEMS community within Georgetown was a tight knit group, with a very strong social support system.

As for my interview group, I didn't get any sense of competitiveness...more camaraderie. We were chattin' away like old friends imho. That could have more to do with our small interview size, so don't take that assessment to face value. I'd be surprised if the May 7th group didn't have more interviewees. We only had 15.

Some advice: Dress professional & treat this as if it were a med school interview. Hope this information helps! Ya'll do fine, no worries

It really just depends on the type of person you are. I'm sure for some, interview day was intense. But for me, I thought it was pretty fun. The overall vibe of the faculty and past GEMS students was down to earth, friendly, and encouraging. And you could really tell that the GEMS community within Georgetown was a tight knit group, with a very strong social support system.

As for my interview group, I didn't get any sense of competitiveness...more camaraderie. We were chattin' away like old friends imho. That could have more to do with our small interview size, so don't take that assessment to face value. I'd be surprised if the May 7th group didn't have more interviewees. We only had 15.

Some advice: Dress professional & treat this as if it were a med school interview. Hope this information helps! Ya'll do fine, no worries

Thank you for your reply! I really appreciate you taking the time give us 7th-ers some info!

15 is a pretty small interview group! I thought I read that 75 interviewed last year, but I doubt 60 will interview next week. I wonder if this application cycle is more competitive, and they decided to interview less people.

According to the current GEMS, around 45-55 interviewed last year. 35 students were chosen to matriculate into the program, 33 actually did. I'm guessing the two who didn't likely got into medical school

It still seems like the first interview group was small compared to last year’s numbers, but we’ll see come next Monday.

Just got denied from this program when I didn't even finish my application. Pretty funny to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
GUYS!!! DC is so incredible and beautiful!! I can’t wait to meet you all :)

SWC, where are you from?

I’m from New Mexico! It’s a totally different world out here and I’m lovin’ It!! >.<!!

How about yourself? Is anyone who’s interviewing tomorrow here yet?

Arkansas, so I definitely feel you on the different. Lol.

congrats to everyone who interviewed and good luck to all!!

Hello everyone! Stumbled upon this program but unfortunately found out about it past the application deadline for this upcoming year! Good luck and congratulations to those who got an interview/acceptance, but I was wondering if y'all could share the essay prompts asked in the application? I'm not sure if they use the same ones per year but just thought it would be nice to have a reference as a future applicant. Looking forward to hearing from someone soon!

It’s the same as previous years! I pre-wrote mine if that helps. If you still can’t find them though, I’ll repost the questions @the_vaan

Last edited:
Looking at last year’s thread, I think they’ll start sending out the verdicts next week.

Got the call from Dean Taylor :happy:, but sadly I won’t be joining ya’ll. Keep in touch April 23rd peeps. Hopefully we’ll meet again for residency!

I got the call as well! See ya'll in July!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Wonderful! Thank you for posting this :-D Very excited to work with you all this July >.<!!!

Hi, I'm planning on applying to GEMs next cycle. Congrats on those who got accepted. Do you guys mind answering some of my questions?

1. What other SMP's did everyone apply to? I'm trying to look for ones specifically for disadvantaged students, but it seems like GEMS is the only one! (I'm not a minority but am disadvantaged).

3. Do you have to be both a minority student and disadvantaged?

3. Could anyone post the essay prompts?

4. Any application tips?

5. For those who interviewed, what about yourself made you stand out? I'm super nervous about the acceptance rate.

Sorry for asking all these questions. I'm just nervous and want to get ahead for next cycle. There's not a lot of info online other than here.

Thanks!!

Hi, I'm planning on applying to GEMs next cycle. Congrats on those who got accepted. Do you guys mind answering some of my questions?

1. What other SMP's did everyone apply to? I'm trying to look for ones specifically for disadvantaged students, but it seems like GEMS is the only one! (I'm not a minority but am disadvantaged).

3. Do you have to be both a minority student and disadvantaged?

3. Could anyone post the essay prompts?

4. Any application tips?

5. For those who interviewed, what about yourself made you stand out? I'm super nervous about the acceptance rate.

Sorry for asking all these questions. I'm just nervous and want to get ahead for next cycle. There's not a lot of info online other than here.

Thanks!!
I’ll PM you

Hey guys,

This thread has been super helpful and I hope all you guys were successful. I plan on applying in the next cycle and I was wondering if anyone would mind sharing the essay prompts so I can get a head start!

Thanks!

Hi everyone!! Congrats on getting into GEMS! Do ya'll have any tips during the application process? Thanks!

Note: I will no longer be responding to inquiries for the GEMS prompt. However, I will still be available for friendly, peer advise. Also, this thread is for the 2018-2019 year. So, whoever is applying this cycle, make a new thread for 2019-2020 year. Thank you and best of luck on your journey!

Sincerely,
MedicineN’Jazz

Last year’s prompt:
Self-Assessment
Please comment on your educational experience over the past four years with respect to areas of strengths and areas of improvement.

Student Status
Is this your first application to GEMS? Y/N
Please explain your current academic status and your plans from now until July 2018.

Please explain your current vocational status and your plans from now until July 2018.

Personal Context
If you are admitted to the GEMS Program, what obstacles would you need to overcome to assure your fullest participation in the program?

What do you consider to be your community, and to what extent are you involved in your community?

In applying to the GEMS Program, you are acknowledging certain disadvantages. Please describe your disadvantaged circumstances and how they affected your academic performance (positively and/or negatively). Please be specific

Please share with the GEMS Admissions Committee how you expect to utilize your GEMS experience if you are accepted to the 2018-2019 GEMS Program. Please be specific