-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Georgetown GEMS 2018-2019
Started by guyton777
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Just started my application recently.
Good luck everyone!
Good luck everyone!
Do you know the acceptance rate?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you know the acceptance rate?
I’m not entirely sure- I haven’t really dug into their site yet.
Hey, I'm applying as well. Good luck to all of you!
I don't know the exact acceptance rate, but the FAQ on their website states 216 applications were submitted last year, 127 were considered, and 33 students matriculated.
33/216 = 15%, so depending on how many students were accepted but chose not to matriculate, I'd say the acceptance rate last year was 15-20%.
What I'd like to know is why were 89 applications not even considered? Did they just not meet the eligibility requirements?
Also, does anyone know how/where to submit transcripts to provide grades for courses taken last semester?
There isn't a place to upload them on the application page, and no email or mailing address is provided.
I don't know the exact acceptance rate, but the FAQ on their website states 216 applications were submitted last year, 127 were considered, and 33 students matriculated.
33/216 = 15%, so depending on how many students were accepted but chose not to matriculate, I'd say the acceptance rate last year was 15-20%.
What I'd like to know is why were 89 applications not even considered? Did they just not meet the eligibility requirements?
Also, does anyone know how/where to submit transcripts to provide grades for courses taken last semester?
There isn't a place to upload them on the application page, and no email or mailing address is provided.
Required Eligibility Criteria section on website states:
2. A certified 2018 AMCAS application -- AMCAS assigns a "submission date" which must be no later than November 30, 2017, and a "processed date" when all grades have been certified. To be eligible for GEMS, the 2018 AMCAS application must be certified as "processed" at the time the GEMS application is submitted.
Please note there is no selection for "Georgetown GEMS" in the AMCAS system. The GEMS eligibility requirement is to select at least one medical school for AMCAS submission and transmission, and the School does NOT have to be Georgetown. Once your AMCAS application is processed, you will submit a PDF copy of the "processed" (verified) AMCAS application as part of the GEMS Admissions application which opens on January 3, 2018.
So from this I think our AMCAS will be looked at like a "transcript"
2. A certified 2018 AMCAS application -- AMCAS assigns a "submission date" which must be no later than November 30, 2017, and a "processed date" when all grades have been certified. To be eligible for GEMS, the 2018 AMCAS application must be certified as "processed" at the time the GEMS application is submitted.
Please note there is no selection for "Georgetown GEMS" in the AMCAS system. The GEMS eligibility requirement is to select at least one medical school for AMCAS submission and transmission, and the School does NOT have to be Georgetown. Once your AMCAS application is processed, you will submit a PDF copy of the "processed" (verified) AMCAS application as part of the GEMS Admissions application which opens on January 3, 2018.
So from this I think our AMCAS will be looked at like a "transcript"
Does anyone know how the fee application waiver works?
Anyone finish the app yet?
I submitted but my LORs are still outstanding
I submitted but my LORs are still outstanding
2376ACmr, Yeah multiple 1,500 word essays.. they were a lot of work.. almost makes you reconsider applying!
Azolesoul, I'm in the same position as you - submitted the app but still waiting on a LOR.
Azolesoul, I'm in the same position as you - submitted the app but still waiting on a LOR.
Where is everyone? This thread is so quiet.. *whispers* I'm also applying.
"A certified 2018 AMCAS application -- AMCAS assigns a "submission date" which must be no later than November 30, 2017, and a "processed date" when all grades have been certified. To be eligible for GEMS, the 2018 AMCAS application must be certified as "processed" at the time the GEMS application is submitted."
what does this mean? I do not have a AMCAS application set up yet. Does this mean I can not apply?
what does this mean? I do not have a AMCAS application set up yet. Does this mean I can not apply?
What is the application deadline?
March 31st
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did the AMCAS you submitted (or are going to submit) with the application say 'Applicant Copy' on the top right of each page?
I ask because I submitted my app a while ago but under the 'Application Status' page, I do not have a check-mark next to "AMCAS Application Approval."
Anyone else have similar issues?
I understand it's possible they don't go through that stuff until later on but thought I'd check as I don't want to risk not submitting the proper AMCAS document.
I ask because I submitted my app a while ago but under the 'Application Status' page, I do not have a check-mark next to "AMCAS Application Approval."
Anyone else have similar issues?
I understand it's possible they don't go through that stuff until later on but thought I'd check as I don't want to risk not submitting the proper AMCAS document.
@PureAsGold, indeed, the pdf copy of my submitted AMCAS I attached to my application does say 'Applicant Copy' on the top right of each page. Do you see Submission and Processed dates above your name and AAMC Id? If so, I think you're okay 🙂
Yes I do see those dates - great, thanks! Guess now we'll just have to wait and see.@PureAsGold, indeed, the pdf copy of my submitted AMCAS I attached to my application does say 'Applicant Copy' on the top right of each page. Do you see Submission and Processed dates above your name and AAMC Id? If so, I think you're okay 🙂
You’re most welcome @PureAsGold. If I may ask, were all of your essays 1500 words? @azolesoul, what about yours? I found it easy to reach the word count for three questions but the rest.... ummm.. lol, I’m feeling like it was mostly jibber jabber >.<!
Anyone else have the same problem???
Anyone else have the same problem???
I agree with @neatsf regrading word length - hopefully they don't actually expect 1.5K word essays as most of mine were about 500..
Pretty sure you need two letters but you can always email them to be certain.
Pretty sure you need two letters but you can always email them to be certain.
Last edited:
So I emailed the admissions office, and this is what they told me in verbatim:
"Yes, the maximum allotted space for each essay response is 1500 character. You may not exceed this character limit. You will need two letters of recommendation to apply to the GEMS Program."
So, we don't have to write 1500 words per each question. As long as you get your message across in 1500 words or less, you will be fine.
Also, two LORs are required for the program.
Hope that helps!
"Yes, the maximum allotted space for each essay response is 1500 character. You may not exceed this character limit. You will need two letters of recommendation to apply to the GEMS Program."
So, we don't have to write 1500 words per each question. As long as you get your message across in 1500 words or less, you will be fine.
Also, two LORs are required for the program.
Hope that helps!
@neatsf !!! Thank you for checking out these details for us, I really appreciate it 🙂
I just wanted to be sure. It says that you are encouraged to apply to Georgetown and other schools, however I see that many matriculate directly after their GEMS year into GUSOM. Does that mean there is no glide year? How does the transition from Georgetown to GUSOM work?
I just wanted to be sure. It says that you are encouraged to apply to Georgetown and other schools, however I see that many matriculate directly after their GEMS year into GUSOM. Does that mean there is no glide year? How does the transition from Georgetown to GUSOM work?[/QUOTE
I just wanted to be sure. It says that you are encouraged to apply to Georgetown and other schools, however I see that many matriculate directly after their GEMS year into GUSOM. Does that mean there is no glide year? How does the transition from Georgetown to GUSOM work?
From my understanding, you start with the M1’s in August.
@Yaondi I believe they use the your certified AMCAS application.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Awesome. I’m submitting today and wanted to be sure.@Yaondi I believe they use the your certified AMCAS application.
Awesome. I’m submitting today and wanted to be sure.
My exact same question LOL
Look, I don’t want any last minute problems.
If you are still concerned, you can always email the GEMS Admissions Office. They reply quickly to questions.
Thank you!If you are still concerned, you can always email the GEMS Admissions Office. They reply quickly to questions.
I emailed my transcript to the GEMS admissions office.
Look, I don’t want any last minute problems.
I’ve emailed like a gazillion times, so I’m not expecting a response. But did you ask about the transcript requirement?
Yes I did. They told me I can upload an official transcript to the additional documents on the app!I’ve emailed like a gazillion times, so I’m not expecting a response. But did you ask about the transcript requirement?
Hmm, I wonder if that makes it necessary? I can only send mine through mailYes I did. They told me I can upload an official transcript to the additional documents on the app!
Soo.... We should upload transcripts??? I don't see the 'additional documents' option on my application.
The admissions office responded when I emailed them my transcript saying to upload it to the Documents section.
To get to Documents: Click 'Status' (near top of screen, under 'Profile') -> click 'Documents.' This is where I uploaded my transcript.
I'm only doing this because I took some GEMS prerequisites after making my AMCAS.
If your AMCAS has all the prereqs then you don't need to upload your transcript. Hope this helps!
To get to Documents: Click 'Status' (near top of screen, under 'Profile') -> click 'Documents.' This is where I uploaded my transcript.
I'm only doing this because I took some GEMS prerequisites after making my AMCAS.
If your AMCAS has all the prereqs then you don't need to upload your transcript. Hope this helps!
The admissions office responded when I emailed them my transcript saying to upload it to the Documents section.
To get to Documents: Click 'Status' (near top of screen, under 'Profile') -> click 'Documents.' This is where I uploaded my transcript.
I'm only doing this because I took some GEMS prerequisites after making my AMCAS.
If your AMCAS has all the prereqs then you don't need to upload your transcript. Hope this helps!
I wish they’d make this more apparent
As far as I know, no
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you have it on file, I’d send it in anyways. Better safe than sorry :/Thank you! Sometimes the instructions can be a bit ambiguous.
Submitted application! Thank you everyone for answering my questions. Best of luck to us!
For anyone still working on the application, I received an answer about the transcript requirements.
"You are only required to submit additional official transcripts if you have taken any additional course work that is not reflected in your certified AMCAS application. If you have not taken any course work since the submission and certification of your AMCAS application then you are not required to submit any additional transcripts."
For anyone still working on the application, I received an answer about the transcript requirements.
"You are only required to submit additional official transcripts if you have taken any additional course work that is not reflected in your certified AMCAS application. If you have not taken any course work since the submission and certification of your AMCAS application then you are not required to submit any additional transcripts."
Submitted application! Thank you everyone for answering my questions. Best of luck to us!
For anyone still working on the application, I received an answer about the transcript requirements.
"You are only required to submit additional official transcripts if you have taken any additional course work that is not reflected in your certified AMCAS application. If you have not taken any course work since the submission and certification of your AMCAS application then you are not required to submit any additional transcripts."
Welp. There goes $12 right there LOL
Thanks for double checking though! Much appreciated.
Wishing you all the best Here’s to the journey of gaining acceptance; hopefully we’re not waiting too long in hearing about interviews 🙂
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 974
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 2K