-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Georgetown SMP 2012-2013
Started by madieb2016
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
has anyone heard back from them in the past few days (this month)? accept/reject? i'm still waiting...taking forever
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've gotten into U Cinci, BU, and Georgetown (waiting on Tufts). I turned down U Cinci and paid the deposit for BU. Got into Georgetown yesterday, which is making my decision harder too. Any reasons why you picked U Cinci over BU? (I chose BU mainly due to distance).
Same situation here; agonizing among georgetown, cinci, tufts, bu; Cannot believe how hard it is to get straight answers as to how many SMPers actually get into med schools (not DO, not carrib) first year and second year. And trying to study for MCAT retake ! I agree with all that's been posted, but torn as to whether I risk Cinci for the better linkage or try Tufts to get into a better school or my state school.
Congratulations to those that just got accepted! Hopefully I hear back soon (with an acceptance of course).
I received the "Your application is now complete and under review" on May 14th. They said allow 4-5 weeks for a decision. Has anyone that had their application completed around mid-May (or later even) received a decision yet?
I received the "Your application is now complete and under review" on May 14th. They said allow 4-5 weeks for a decision. Has anyone that had their application completed around mid-May (or later even) received a decision yet?
Hey everyone,
I'm an outgoing SMP looking to sublet my apartment for the month of July. It's a 15-minutre walk from campus, and it would be perfect for an incoming student looking to come to DC for a few weeks to figure out housing before the program starts in August. PM me for details/photos. Congrats on your acceptances! Also happy to offer any advice about the SMP.
I'm an outgoing SMP looking to sublet my apartment for the month of July. It's a 15-minutre walk from campus, and it would be perfect for an incoming student looking to come to DC for a few weeks to figure out housing before the program starts in August. PM me for details/photos. Congrats on your acceptances! Also happy to offer any advice about the SMP.
Congrats on finishing your SMP. Do you mind if I ask where you'll be going to medical school? And what can you tell us in terms of school acceptances among your program-mates?Hey everyone,
I'm an outgoing SMP looking to sublet my apartment for the month of July. It's a 15-minutre walk from campus, and it would be perfect for an incoming student looking to come to DC for a few weeks to figure out housing before the program starts in August. PM me for details/photos. Congrats on your acceptances! Also happy to offer any advice about the SMP.
just got waitlisted. has anyone else that been waitlisted recently? anyone that was waitlisted gotten accepted/rejected recently?
Hi Guys, anyone looking for a roommate from August, let me know!
Hi Guys, anyone looking for a roommate from August, let me know!
I may be looking for a roommate. I remain on the wait list still though, which kind of makes planning ahead difficult.
Hopeful.i just got accepted last night (6/21) off the regular waitlist. i was on it for about 2 weeks. don't lose faith, good luck to all still waiting!
i'll see the rest of you in august!
i'll see the rest of you in august!
i just got accepted last night (6/21) off the regular waitlist. i was on it for about 2 weeks. don't lose faith, good luck to all still waiting!
i'll see the rest of you in august!
Other than the obvious, do you or anyone else know what the difference is between the regular and priority waitlist? Wasn't aware there was such a distinction until recently.
Hey girls,
I'm looking for an apartment and roommate/s. Let me know if you're interested.
Thanks
I'm looking for an apartment and roommate/s. Let me know if you're interested.
Thanks
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey girls,
I'm looking for an apartment and roommate/s. Let me know if you're interested.
Thanks
I would probably be down assuming I get off the waitlist...this waiting game is awful!
Has anyone applied to this program and not heard back about their status yet? I applied about a week before the deadline and haven't heard anything. I tried calling and came here, and realizing how many people have heard is making me quite anxious... 

Hey all, I just decided to accept Georgetown's offer after giving up on waiting for Cincinnati. I just had a couple questions regarding housing and stuff.
For housing, georgetown gave me an option to go through och.georgetown.edu. However, would it be better for me to go look on my own for better/cheaper options? Or is georgetown's search sufficient? Also, does anybody here have any suggestions for good places to live? Lastly, what is the approximate monthly housing cost?
For transportation, I come from UCLA, where the parking situation is horrible and the traffic is even worse...yet I'd die without my car. How beneficial is it to have a car in Georgetown? I understand there's the metro and the bus, but would it be better for me to have a car for my grocery runs/weekend trips to anywhere?
Thanks for the help guys, and I hope to see you all in the fall!
For housing, georgetown gave me an option to go through och.georgetown.edu. However, would it be better for me to go look on my own for better/cheaper options? Or is georgetown's search sufficient? Also, does anybody here have any suggestions for good places to live? Lastly, what is the approximate monthly housing cost?
For transportation, I come from UCLA, where the parking situation is horrible and the traffic is even worse...yet I'd die without my car. How beneficial is it to have a car in Georgetown? I understand there's the metro and the bus, but would it be better for me to have a car for my grocery runs/weekend trips to anywhere?
Thanks for the help guys, and I hope to see you all in the fall!
Not sure what the g'town website is offering, but I have lived in the area for about 4 years after leaving so cal (and just got accepted as well!) and have some advice:Hey all, I just decided to accept Georgetown's offer after giving up on waiting for Cincinnati. I just had a couple questions regarding housing and stuff.
For housing, georgetown gave me an option to go through och.georgetown.edu. However, would it be better for me to go look on my own for better/cheaper options? Or is georgetown's search sufficient? Also, does anybody here have any suggestions for good places to live? Lastly, what is the approximate monthly housing cost?
For transportation, I come from UCLA, where the parking situation is horrible and the traffic is even worse...yet I'd die without my car. How beneficial is it to have a car in Georgetown? I understand there's the metro and the bus, but would it be better for me to have a car for my grocery runs/weekend trips to anywhere?
Thanks for the help guys, and I hope to see you all in the fall!
-G'town area is going to be expensive. If you are looking to save money on housing, Virginia may be best, with the exception of finding roommates. In general, the apartments in Virginia (Arlington, Ballston, Rosslyn, maybe Alexandria) are more modern while most buildings in g'town are really old, like 1800s old. The key will be to be within walking distance of a metro station. The blue or orange line, if in Virginia. The school runs a free shuttle to campus from the Rosslyn metro stop (the last stop in VA before crossing into DC). There is also a shuttle from the Dupont Cirlce stop (on the red line), but cheaper housing on the red line is up near Maryland.
-I'd recommend looking through g'town's site as well as on your own. Doesn't hurt to see what else is available outside of their online community. Approximate cost will probably be around $900-$1200/month. Don't quote me on that though.
-For your car: I have one and am happy that I do, but I barely ever use it if running errands in the city or going to/from school. It's great for going to grocery stores and freedom to explore the area, but certainly is not necessary. In my opinion, I'd bring it. Only thing is that parking in DC is a challenge and is highly regulated and heavily ticketed, not to mention traffic is a nightmare, worse than LA. Parking during the day in g'town is impossible, that's why I'd recommend the efficient public transportation for day-to-day stuff.
Check out these sites:
http://dmv.dc.gov/serv/parking/Reciprocity.shtm
http://www.wmata.com/
Hey guys do you think it is worth 70k in loans to attend Georgetown SMP this year:
My stats 3.59 GPA 29 O MCAT
Waitlisted this year at Drexel and Creighton
Planning to retake MCAT in August and reapply this year
Would it be worth it to do something else? Clinical care or research even though I already have both?
Thanks!
My stats 3.59 GPA 29 O MCAT
Waitlisted this year at Drexel and Creighton
Planning to retake MCAT in August and reapply this year
Would it be worth it to do something else? Clinical care or research even though I already have both?
Thanks!
Hey guys do you think it is worth 70k in loans to attend Georgetown SMP this year:
My stats 3.59 GPA 29 O MCAT
Waitlisted this year at Drexel and Creighton
Planning to retake MCAT in August and reapply this year
Would it be worth it to do something else? Clinical care or research even though I already have both?
Thanks!
My personal advice after countless hours of reading through SDN threads is that you should forego the Georgetown SMP. The SMP is more for people who have decent to strong MCAT scores but are lacking in the GPA department. Your GPA is good enough to get you in somewhere, and if you retake the MCAT and get around a 32+, you're bound to get in somewhere. Good luck!
I'm turning down my offer to here after being accepted to Cincinnati. Best of luck to all of you.
have fun in cincy! Quick question though, would you mind giving us some insight as to why you chose cincy over Georgetown? I've already accepted Georgetown's offer, so it's too late for me, but I'd like to see other peoples' opinions on the situation.
As far as I've heard, it's cincy's higher rate of matriculation into their own school that's the main reason. Personally, I hope I didn't make the wrong choice...
Hey so just got off the waitlist, with MCAT of 33(12/11/10) and cGPA of 3.45( is this low?) and sGPA of 3.6 does going to Georgetown SMP make sense? How low of a GPA would it be considered helpful? Thanks!
I remain on the wait-list, would calling them for some sort of update be useless? I'm sure there isn't much for them to tell me, but waiting around is becoming hard especially so late in the summer..
It certainly couldn't hurt, might not really help. They accept update letters if you have something that would be significant enough to merit that. The also apparently accept letters of intent if you know you would go there.
From http://smp.georgetown.edu/132257.html :
"If you are on the waitlist in late July/early August and are sure you will come if accepted, please let us know, as this will put you in our final select pool."
Hey so just got off the waitlist, with MCAT of 33(12/11/10) and cGPA of 3.45( is this low?) and sGPA of 3.6 does going to Georgetown SMP make sense? How low of a GPA would it be considered helpful? Thanks!
Do you have an upward trend in GPA? Your GPA and MCAT should get you interviews without an SMP as long as you apply early and everywhere (and you're hopefully not in California). Have you applied to medical schools yet? I would really think twice before spending well over 50k for an SMP with those stats. You could potentially kill your chances if you don't do well in the SMP
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Guys,
Recently decided to go to Gtown for the upcoming fall. As its only 3 weeks away, would love some help with advice on housing.
( -If theres another group/thread where incoming/previous students share advice on housing, let me know. I know most of the posts here are to discuss how to get in and wether or not to go into the program. )
Any SMP-er still looking for a place? Although Im looking for a single, Id love to live with other SMPers in mutli-bedroom house or apt. If anyone is still looking to find 2+ bedroom place, PM me.
Although Id prefer near campus, prices are clearly expensive and living in Virginia like JueroEnfermero mentioned might be more reasonable. Im more fine with the latter if I can get an SMP apt/house-mate in SMP.
Thanks
Recently decided to go to Gtown for the upcoming fall. As its only 3 weeks away, would love some help with advice on housing.
( -If theres another group/thread where incoming/previous students share advice on housing, let me know. I know most of the posts here are to discuss how to get in and wether or not to go into the program. )
Any SMP-er still looking for a place? Although Im looking for a single, Id love to live with other SMPers in mutli-bedroom house or apt. If anyone is still looking to find 2+ bedroom place, PM me.
Although Id prefer near campus, prices are clearly expensive and living in Virginia like JueroEnfermero mentioned might be more reasonable. Im more fine with the latter if I can get an SMP apt/house-mate in SMP.
Thanks
Anyone know the textbook list? I want to try to buy them used. Thanks
Also, to any previous students: are all textbooks required, and are they useful? Or are lectures enough? Just don't wanna buy unnecessary textbooks, has happened way too many times during undergrad, huge waste of money!
Anyone applying this cycle to MD schools, while considering SMP at Georgetown? If so when would you apply to Georgetown's SMP to be sure you have no chance at US MD? Is May too late?
Also what MCAT/ GPA would be competitive for Georgetown?
Thanks
Also what MCAT/ GPA would be competitive for Georgetown?
Thanks
Hey there,
I am currently in my last year of undergraduate at a top 20 school
cGPA 3.1 and MCAT of 33P
Reason for low gpa is my first year which I royally messed up, been continuously improving since.
What do you think my chances of getting into a SMP program are? And if I do well in that what are the chances of getting into the medical school of that university and other medical schools in the states..
Thanks
I am currently in my last year of undergraduate at a top 20 school
cGPA 3.1 and MCAT of 33P
Reason for low gpa is my first year which I royally messed up, been continuously improving since.
What do you think my chances of getting into a SMP program are? And if I do well in that what are the chances of getting into the medical school of that university and other medical schools in the states..
Thanks
I dont' mean to post in so many areas but georgetown's SMP program is one of the ones I'm interested in. I have a 3.3 cGPA and 29Q MCAT.
Do I have a good chance of getting in? I'm a little worried b/c 29 is like their minimal MCAT score... ><''
Do I have a good chance of getting in? I'm a little worried b/c 29 is like their minimal MCAT score... ><''
I dont' mean to post in so many areas but georgetown's SMP program is one of the ones I'm interested in. I have a 3.3 cGPA and 29Q MCAT.
Do I have a good chance of getting in? I'm a little worried b/c 29 is like their minimal MCAT score... ><''
I'm also interested in this. I also have a 29Q.
Hey guys!
I am really interested in the Georgetown SMP program because I feel like it will help my med school application. I was wondering if you know how they calculate the undergraduate GPA, is it using the AMCAS calculator or is it a just a regular calculation? The reason I ask is because when AMCAS calculates the undergrad GPAs they appear lower as oppose to when we calculate it using non-AMCAS. If any of you know, please let me know.
These are my stats by the way:
UCLA senior
cGPA 3.4
sGPA 3.5
MCAT 33Q
I am really interested in the Georgetown SMP program because I feel like it will help my med school application. I was wondering if you know how they calculate the undergraduate GPA, is it using the AMCAS calculator or is it a just a regular calculation? The reason I ask is because when AMCAS calculates the undergrad GPAs they appear lower as oppose to when we calculate it using non-AMCAS. If any of you know, please let me know.
These are my stats by the way:
UCLA senior
cGPA 3.4
sGPA 3.5
MCAT 33Q
interested as well
Hey guys!
I am really interested in the Georgetown SMP program because I feel like it will help my med school application. I was wondering if you know how they calculate the undergraduate GPA, is it using the AMCAS calculator or is it a just a regular calculation? The reason I ask is because when AMCAS calculates the undergrad GPAs they appear lower as oppose to when we calculate it using non-AMCAS. If any of you know, please let me know.
These are my stats by the way:
UCLA senior
cGPA 3.4
sGPA 3.5
MCAT 33Q
I was just accepted to the Georgetown SMP! I used my AMCAS application from this year so I'm pretty sure they use all of those calculations. But if you don't have an AMCAS app then call and ask them what they would like.
I have the exact same stats as you (except got a P in MCAT writing) and also curious about our chances. Submitted the app using a copy of my AMCAS one yesterday and waiting for the rest of my materials to get there. *fingers crossed*I dont' mean to post in so many areas but georgetown's SMP program is one of the ones I'm interested in. I have a 3.3 cGPA and 29Q MCAT.
Do I have a good chance of getting in? I'm a little worried b/c 29 is like their minimal MCAT score... ><''
other pertinent background:
Graduated back in 2011
Have been working as a Research Associate since then and published
Getting EMT certified in a few weeks
Volunteer experience in medical reserve corps
Some shadowing, gonna do a hell lot more in the next few months
Have been taking classes since graduation to complete some prereqs I missed (A's in orgo 2, B in biochem :-/ signed up for microbio and immunology and anatomy for next semester)
Hey guys, I was wondering if you can comment on my chances at admission into Gtown SMP. I am currently a senior majoring in neuroscience with a 3.0-3.1 cGPA (~3.1 range upon graduation most likely) along with a similar sGPA. I simply did not perform during the freshmen and sophomore years due to a variety of personal reasons. I will be taking the MCAT this coming April and am aiming for a 32+O. The latter appears to be feasible, as I have progressed very well in my MCAT studies thus far. As for this upcoming semester, I will be taking a full course load (18 credits), which includes physics II and also working in my former professor's neurobiology lab (which I will be doing for credit). I plan on shadowing an MD in psychiatry and other related fields as well for ~10-20 hours in addition to volunteering ~4 hours a week. Finally, I believe that I can pull off a 3.7+ GPA this last semester.
How competitive would I be for The Georgetown SMP? I am thinking about applying in February/March to make sure I have a strong grasp on the semester first.
Thanks in advance.
How competitive would I be for The Georgetown SMP? I am thinking about applying in February/March to make sure I have a strong grasp on the semester first.
Thanks in advance.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have the exact same stats as you (except got a P in MCAT writing) and also curious about our chances. Submitted the app using a copy of my AMCAS one yesterday and waiting for the rest of my materials to get there. *fingers crossed*
other pertinent background:
Graduated back in 2011
Have been working as a Research Associate since then and published
Getting EMT certified in a few weeks
Volunteer experience in medical reserve corps
Some shadowing, gonna do a hell lot more in the next few months
Have been taking classes since graduation to complete some prereqs I missed (A's in orgo 2, B in biochem :-/ signed up for microbio and immunology and anatomy for next semester)
For all of you who are curious about your chances, I guess it might help to know my stats. I was recently accepted to Gtown's SMP last month.
deleted
lots of research in undergrad and I've been working in clinical trials for a year and a half out of college
lots of great ECs and clinical work abroad
Last edited:
I am! I am retaking the mcat in April after i take biochem so it seemed like they wanted to wait for that before they made a decision...anyone else here on the waitlist currently for fall 2013?
Application complete today for the 2013 class. Seems like a solid program, although my top choice is the University of Cincinnati SMP if I get into that one.