Georgetown SMP Application Thread 2019- 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi xosonova96, would you mind if I asked you a few questions regarding your stats before acceptance into the SMP?

sure just message me and i can talk to you more about my stats!

Members don't see this ad.

Would anyone recommend this program for someone with a 3.95, 3 MCAT retakes (503, 506,507)?
I know its usually for people to work on improving their GPA, however I feel like my academic abilities are being questioned due to my lack of improvement in my 3 MCAT retakes. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Would anyone recommend this program for someone with a 3.95, 3 MCAT retakes (503, 506,507)?
I know its usually for people to work on improving their GPA, however I feel like my academic abilities are being questioned due to my lack of improvement in my 3 MCAT retakes. What do you guys think?
It's more of an academic enhancer in regards to GPA. Why waste thousands and thousands of dollars when you can take a few more months to study for the MCAT. Analyze why you're not improving as much as you'd like to. Follow some good MCAT social media for some tips and tricks, such as MCAT Bros on Instagram, or Dr. Ryan Gray podcasts. I just think you'd be wasting a lot of money when your GPA is already amazing.

Reactions: 1 users
Can anybody currently in the program or any alums speak about their experience in the program and experience in the application cycle? Did it genuinely help you? As someone with a 3.2 GPA I'm hoping to apply again while in the program but i'm concerned i'll be screened out again for having the same stats and it'll just be a waste of money...
Additionally I was leaning very heavily towards this program but of late been discouraged hearing about how cut throat it is and how minimal the faculty support is? Can some SMP-ers shed some more light on this as well?

Sorry if this has been asked already!!

Can anybody currently in the program or any alums speak about their experience in the program and experience in the application cycle? Did it genuinely help you? As someone with a 3.2 GPA I'm hoping to apply again while in the program but i'm concerned i'll be screened out again for having the same stats and it'll just be a waste of money...
Additionally I was leaning very heavily towards this program but of late been discouraged hearing about how cut throat it is and how minimal the faculty support is? Can some SMP-ers shed some more light on this as well?

Hi!

I wanted to reply to this because I feel like I might be able to give you a little advice.

So I was an '18-'19 SMP. I had a 3.27 cumulative uGPA but my science GPA was significantly lower. I applied while I was in the program, but I have to agree with you, it was a waste of money. In my opinion, you're much better off just waiting until you finish the program to apply. I say this because med schools want to see how you perform throughout the SMP. Unless you're already a stellar applicant with just one downfall, getting accepted while you're in the SMP is really hard.

As far as the cut-throat environment, this is true. However, it is easy to find your group of people and stick with them. I had a small group of friends that I studied with and we all did very well. This program is what you make of it. If you study incredibly hard, odds are, it will pay off.

I was accepted this cycle after completing the SMP and taking another year off. I do have quite a few significant ECs...so keep that in mind. But overall, I know I would not be in if it wasn't for this program. Hope this is at least slightly helpful.

Reactions: 1 user

Class of 2019 alumna here. I didn’t apply the same year because I didn’t feel like my application was even close to being good enough. I had a 3.1 gpa with an even lower science gpa. I focused on doing really well in the program, retook my Mcat right after the smp ended and applied that summer. I got 3 interviews (including Georgetown) and was accepted to all 3 schools. Would I have gotten any interviews without the smp gpa? Who knows but probably not. Keep in mind that besides my gpa I feel like my application was strong with strong research, pubs, and ECs. But I didn’t want to waste the money knowing that I just wasn’t ready to apply yet.

Hi!

I wanted to reply to this because I feel like I might be able to give you a little advice.

So I was an '18-'19 SMP. I had a 3.27 cumulative uGPA but my science GPA was significantly lower. I applied while I was in the program, but I have to agree with you, it was a waste of money. In my opinion, you're much better off just waiting until you finish the program to apply. I say this because med schools want to see how you perform throughout the SMP. Unless you're already a stellar applicant with just one downfall, getting accepted while you're in the SMP is really hard.

As far as the cut-throat environment, this is true. However, it is easy to find your group of people and stick with them. I had a small group of friends that I studied with and we all did very well. This program is what you make of it. If you study incredibly hard, odds are, it will pay off.

I was accepted this cycle after completing the SMP and taking another year off. I do have quite a few significant ECs...so keep that in mind. But overall, I know I would not be in if it wasn't for this program. Hope this is at least slightly helpful.
Class of 2019 alumna here. I didn’t apply the same year because I didn’t feel like my application was even close to being good enough. I had a 3.1 gpa with an even lower science gpa. I focused on doing really well in the program, retook my Mcat right after the smp ended and applied that summer. I got 3 interviews (including Georgetown) and was accepted to all 3 schools. Would I have gotten any interviews without the smp gpa? Who knows but probably not. Keep in mind that besides my gpa I feel like my application was strong with strong research, pubs, and ECs. But I didn’t want to waste the money knowing that I just wasn’t ready to apply yet.

Do you guys mind sharing how well you did in the SMP? Did you guys do the GUMC or GTDT? And which would you recommend? And how many hours a day outside of classes did you spend studying?

Do you guys mind sharing how well you did in the SMP? Did you guys do the GUMC or GTDT? And which would you recommend? And how many hours a day outside of classes did you spend studying?

If you go back to the first page of this thread, you'll see a post I did about how many hours a day I typically studied. It's relatively detailed. If you have any other specific questions I didn't address there, feel free to reach out again.

As far as how I performed...I finished with a 3.69. I was told by Dr. Myers the class average is usually around a "3.3 something". Usually Dr. Mulroney tells students if their GPA is above a 3.4, they have a decent shot at an interview at GUSOM. Do with this what you will. I didn't receive an interview at GUSOM last year or this year. I know people who had GPAs much lower than mine who did get interviews. They take a lot of things into consideration. Just know if you do this program, you need to keep your options open. Don't bank on GUSOM because even if you have the suggested stats, you're not guaranteed an interview.

Again, feel free to reach out with other questions! I'm happy to help. Ultimately, I'm glad I did this program. I got into a school where I know I belong and I wouldn't be there without the SMP.

If you go back to the first page of this thread, you'll see a post I did about how many hours a day I typically studied. It's relatively detailed. If you have any other specific questions I didn't address there, feel free to reach out again.

As far as how I performed...I finished with a 3.69. I was told by Dr. Myers the class average is usually around a "3.3 something". Usually Dr. Mulroney tells students if their GPA is above a 3.4, they have a decent shot at an interview at GUSOM. Do with this what you will. I didn't receive an interview at GUSOM last year or this year. I know people who had GPAs much lower than mine who did get interviews. They take a lot of things into consideration. Just know if you do this program, you need to keep your options open. Don't bank on GUSOM because even if you have the suggested stats, you're not guaranteed an interview.

Again, feel free to reach out with other questions! I'm happy to help. Ultimately, I'm glad I did this program. I got into a school where I know I belong and I wouldn't be there without the SMP.

Thank you!! I'm considering the GTDT program right now because it looks like more individualized attention? Would you say this is correct?

Thank you!! I'm considering the GTDT program right now because it looks like more individualized attention? Would you say this is correct?

Yes, the GTDT program is more individualized. But I would suggest you figure out how you learn best. The GTDT program is flipped. So the students had to watch lecture capture at home, then they did more interactive work in class. Personally, I was not a fan of lecture capture. I prefer to go to class and learn as the professor teaches. Additionally, the GTDT campus is in downtown DC, not Georgetown. So if you choose to go there, you won't be near the med school (where you will occasionally have mandatory classes) and you also won't be near the library (DML) which you will have access to 24/7. For me, being at GUMC was great and I loved it because I was a big library studier. But you just have to determine what's best for you.

Does that mean those who don't apply in the same year they are taking the SMP will have a gap year between finishing their SMP and matriculating to med school?

I'm currently in the program and would suggest to you that if you intend to do this program with a low GPA (sub 3.5) to apply to only a few schools the year that you're in the program. I applied to ~10 and have only received one interview invite even though I'm doing well in the SMP. A lot of schools don't factor your grades in until after you've completed the whole program, even though you send updates throughout the first semester. If you're going to do the SMP, be aware that it is very likely a 2 year deal, where, given you do well in the program, you'll see the love from adcom's the year AFTER you complete it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does that mean those who don't apply in the same year they are taking the SMP will have a gap year between finishing their SMP and matriculating to med school?

Yes, for example I'll be finishing the program this June and likely re-applying this upcoming cycle that opens up in May of 2020, to matriculate to a medical school in the fall of 2021. I would have a full year in between the SMP and medical school, assuming I don't get into a school over the next few months.

Many of my friends and I spend somewhere between 6-10 hours a day outside of class studying. It's a LOT of work if you want to do well. Typically we have class in the mornings from 9-12 and then after eating lunch we study from 1-7, 8, 9, 10pm each night. Fit exercise in in the morning or at night, or some people take a big break around dinnertime for exercise and food, but then study a little later than others. Everybody's got their own schedule for what works for them. I'm in GUMC though, so I can't speak to how GTDT does it with the way they have classes online.

Are you alums happy with your decision? Would you choose this program if you had to do it again? I ask because I am considering a MS in Biotech with the HSI program at Hopkins...

Are you alums happy with your decision? Would you choose this program if you had to do it again? I ask because I am considering a MS in Biotech with the HSI program at Hopkins...
Yes I am very happy with my decision. I was also accepted to BU MAMS and I would choose GU SMP again and again. It paid off for me! And many of my friends

Yes I am very happy with my decision. I was also accepted to BU MAMS and I would choose GU SMP again and again. It paid off for me! And many of my friends

That's so great to hear! I've heard some mixed things about the program so I was unsure. Did you end up getting in a school the year you were in the program?

That's so great to hear! I've heard some mixed things about the program so I was unsure. Did you end up getting in a school the year you were in the program?
Nope! I took a year off (this year). So I did the SMP from 2018-2019. And I will be in med school from 2020-2024.
I know time off freaks some people out. But I worked as a CMA for two years prior to the SMP and I’ve worked as one this year as well to fill my gap years. Honestly I love it and I always head into school feeling refreshed and motivated. So it’s not the worst thing to have to take a year (or 3 in my case) off.

Any folks on here who have been accepted found housing or anything yet? Amy and team seem to not have sent anything out yet...

Any folks on here who have been accepted found housing or anything yet? Amy and team seem to not have sent anything out yet...
Mind PMing your stats?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if the exams are written by the professors "new" each time? I can imagine that M2+ would share past exams with the M1s and maybe this is why the average cumulative GPA of an SMP student is lower than I'd expect (~3.3)

Does anyone know if the exams are written by the professors "new" each time? I can imagine that M2+ would share past exams with the M1s and maybe this is why the average cumulative GPA of an SMP student is lower than I'd expect (~3.3)
You cannot share exams easily at GU. The exams are taken through a specific computer program and it’s secure. So I’m sure there may be a few ways people can “cheat”, but overall, I highly doubt a significant number of former test questions are handed down bc it would be incredibly risky.

I graduated from the SMP in 2018, and was just accepted to GUSoM this cycle! If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them!

I loved my time at the SMP and felt very well supported by the faculty. After finishing, I retook the MCAT, and felt very prepared for it. I probably would not be going to med school next year if not for the faculty and support that I had!

Just to clarify a few things about interview&acceptances to GUSoM: people who apply via AMCAS during the cycle are put into a separate pool that interviews in early April. This is after GUSoM has finished their interviews for the regular cycle, and your interview day consists of just the 1 on 1 interview. They interview roughly the top 40% of the class, which usually corresponds to a ~3.7 SMP GPA cutoff and about 75-80 people. The admissions committee looks at your app as well to make sure that you have all the other necessary parts of a good medical school applications. From that pool of 75-80 interviews, you'll have roughly 30-35 people accepted. Hope this is helpful!

Hey, can I message you individually if you have time? I am currently in GUSOM SMP and I am hoping to apply this upcoming cycle to get into their MD program and would love to hear more about what you did during your time off.

Hey I am also a current student in the SMP. Feel free to message me with any questions

Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile

Is there anyway to do the SMP without a glide year?

You would have to apply the year of the SMP program, so by the time you finish ~June, you would start medical school ~July/August.

You would have to apply the year of the SMP program, so by the time you finish ~June, you would start medical school ~July/August.

Got it, thank you! Do you by any chance know why most people don't do that?

I was curious if people here think this program might be useful for someone like me? I am a non-trad. I took time for personal reasons from school after 2015. I took the old MCAT before graduating and got a modest score. Worked full-time in a clinical setting in the next few years. I retook the exam in 2019 when I decided I wanted to pursue medicine again and my personal life had stabilized. Got a 503, however. My GPA is 3.7 for science and 3.69 cumulative. A lot of clinical and non-clinical experiences and leadership. Pretty much my issue is I've been out of school for a while and I've forgotten a lot and it's impacting my score. I took a chance and applied this cycle anyway, just in case. Applied late, October/November. Only had 2 II, and none accepted me. So I"m seeking a program that will help re-introduce me to the content and perhaps take some new courses that will be useful for med school but also help prepare me for the MCAT.

And no, I do not like Kaplan or Princeton, or the Khan Academy sources. I feel they were not helpful--at least for my needs. That's why I'm seeking a formalized, medically-oriented program. I've looked at quite a number, and some programs say that many people do very well on MCAT after taking these programs. Hoping some will be able and willing to help me in this regard. Thanks.

As an URM applicant, is the SMP or GEMS program a better option?

I was curious if people here think this program might be useful for someone like me? I am a non-trad. I took time for personal reasons from school after 2015. I took the old MCAT before graduating and got a modest score. Worked full-time in a clinical setting in the next few years. I retook the exam in 2019 when I decided I wanted to pursue medicine again and my personal life had stabilized. Got a 503, however. My GPA is 3.7 for science and 3.69 cumulative. A lot of clinical and non-clinical experiences and leadership. Pretty much my issue is I've been out of school for a while and I've forgotten a lot and it's impacting my score. I took a chance and applied this cycle anyway, just in case. Applied late, October/November. Only had 2 II, and none accepted me. So I"m seeking a program that will help re-introduce me to the content and perhaps take some new courses that will be useful for med school but also help prepare me for the MCAT.

And no, I do not like Kaplan or Princeton, or the Khan Academy sources. I feel they were not helpful--at least for my needs. That's why I'm seeking a formalized, medically-oriented program. I've looked at quite a number, and some programs say that many people do very well on MCAT after taking these programs. Hoping some will be able and willing to help me in this regard. Thanks.
Personally, I don't think you need this. Your GPA is already high in my opinion. It seems as though you needed an earlier app and higher MCAT, none of which the SMP is going to fix!

My app was submitted 3/13, and my last recommendation was finally uploaded on 3/30. Does anyone have an idea how long it might take to get the complete email and have a final decision? I've already been accepted to another program and don't want to miss the deadline to submit a deposit for them. Would it be a good idea to email Georgetown to let them know about this situation?

My advice is anecdotal, but I would agree in saying you might not be a good fit for this program. I graduated from the SMP in 2019 and did well in the program...much better than average. With that being say, my MCAT score actually dropped a point after completing the program. I have to be honest in saying I don't think this happens to hardly anyone, but it did happen to me. I was incredibly fortunate and was still accepted to an MD program...but I would think long and hard before I paid $100,000 for an MCAT boost. This program is specifically designed for people like me who needed a GPA boost and you don't really need that. I understand why you feel like it might be a good idea to take classes since it's been a while since you were in school; however, I also don't know that it's totally necessary. Just my thoughts!

As an URM applicant, is the SMP or GEMS program a better option?

I'm not 100% sure of the GEMS requirements but I think they begin the program with much lower science GPAs and MCAT scores. I don't know if would call it a guarantee but there is MORE of a linkage/they accept more of the GEMs to Georgetown Medical School. GEMS curriculum is similar to the SMP but I think they a have a few more additional classes.

Is there anyway to do the SMP without a glide year?

The program directors state that about 40-50% of the class will be admitted during the year of the program. But they also emphasize that this is more of 2 year process. Some of the SMP classes--that are tailored to help with secondary essay writing and the application process-- are also meant to help people apply after the program ends/the following cycle.

My opinion is that anyone who gets in the year of the program probably had decent stats and experience to begin with or did exceptional in the first round of SMP classes.

hi! does anyone have any experience with applying past the may 15 deadline? my grades for spring sem will not be ready by then (also tbh want to delay until june so i can take my actual mcat instead of a FL). I'll be sure to email someone in admissions but I wanted to hear if anyone had personal experience with this/advice. thank you!!!!

ooops did some more research and realized you can submit supporting documents (grades, mcat, etc) after the main deadline for your application! fyi for anyone else

low stats applicant applied 3/26, and was accepted today!

Reactions: 4 users
For those current / alum students, did you guys know of anyone living in the northern virginia area commuting to Georgetown for classes? I live about 40 minutes away without traffic, and probably 50 minutes by metro for GTDT campus. I'd like to get your opinion if that is doable.

Also if I don't apply the same summer before matriculating SMP, I would be taking a 3 year gap year. While my MCAT is still valid, I am concerned about letters of recs. For those who applied the summer after the program, were you guys able to obtain a letter of rec from SMP/med school professors? Or were most of your letters of rec from undergraduate profs then?

For those current / alum students, did you guys know of anyone living in the northern virginia area commuting to Georgetown for classes? I live about 40 minutes away without traffic, and probably 50 minutes by metro for GTDT campus. I'd like to get your opinion if that is doable.

Also if I don't apply the same summer before matriculating SMP, I would be taking a 3 year gap year. While my MCAT is still valid, I am concerned about letters of recs. For those who applied the summer after the program, were you guys able to obtain a letter of rec from SMP/med school professors? Or were most of your letters of rec from undergraduate profs then?

I had a friend who commuted about 30min without traffic. It was tough for her, but she managed. I think it depends on what type of studier you are. If you literally have no other obligations and you can leave at 6:30am, get to campus early and be productive, stay all day, then go home at like 7-8pm, it's probably easier. But for me personally, living near campus was good because I went home around 3pm for a mid-day break most days and then went back to the library later if I needed to focus more than I could at home (like exam prep time). So this is doable, but it definitely does complicate things.

For me...I graduated college in 2016, did the SMP from 2018-2019, and matriculated into the Class of 2024 for med school. So I technically took 4 years from graduation to matriculation. I did have a professor from undergrad update one of my LORs in 2019 which I think was helpful. I also had physician LORs from 2018/2019. The SMP does guarantee a LOR from a faculty member so you would definitely have at least one letter that was recent. They frown upon asking other SMP faculty to write LORs, but I think if you wanted to ask a med professor for a letter, there's nothing stopping you (just can't say for sure if they're agree to do it).

I hope this is helpful!

Got it, thank you! Do you by any chance know why most people don't do that?
it's up to the applicant to decide, although the program does suggest you apply the year of. Usually people dont feel ready, want more clinical/volunteering experiences etc.. so just depends on you and your application and if you feel you are ready to apply that cycle. totally ok if you aren't. A handful of people in the program don't apply to any schools the year of.

Accepted today! Does anyone have any experience or know someone who commuted to school? I live in Northern VA with my parents right now and would like to be able to stay at home to avoid paying rent in DC. I'd rather pay for monthly parking in Georgetown instead. Would this be a good idea?