Georgetown SMP Application Thread 2019- 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My cGPA is a 3.5 which isn’t too bad, but definitely not MD competitive. 3.0 sGPA tho which is what needs repair. I got accepted to a DO smp with linkage I just don’t want to completely shut the door on MD because at the end of the day I do want to specialize.
Ah, yeah, the sGPA does raise some flags for MD schools. If you want to keep your options open in terms of future specialties then I wouldn't go to a DO linked SMP. LECOM is much cheaper all around, but you're most likely to go to a DO school after that (LECOM or otherwise). However, there are still plenty of my classmates who went DO after going to GU SMP. But obviously you still have a shot of getting into a lot of MD schools as well.

DO isn't particularly limited by specialties except in certain instances. Most medical specialties are open (except like Derm and maybe Heme/Onc), but surgical subspecialties are pretty limited for DOs (neuro, cardio, vascular). I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying it's more difficult.

Members don't see this ad.

Ah, yeah, the sGPA does raise some flags for MD schools. If you want to keep your options open in terms of future specialties then I wouldn't go to a DO linked SMP. LECOM is much cheaper all around, but you're most likely to go to a DO school after that (LECOM or otherwise). However, there are still plenty of my classmates who went DO after going to GU SMP. But obviously you still have a shot of getting into a lot of MD schools as well.

DO isn't particularly limited by specialties except in certain instances. Most medical specialties are open (except like Derm and maybe Heme/Onc), but surgical subspecialties are pretty limited for DOs (neuro, cardio, vascular). I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying it's more difficult.

Yea nothing crazy like that. Just wanting to keep doors open for anesthesia or ob/gyn. So you feel like a lot of people went DO after this program or were most people getting MD acceptance in your class?

Why did your friends up going DO after a SMP? Low MCAT? Poor SMP GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why did your friends up going DO after a SMP? Low MCAT? Poor SMP GPA?
I couldn't tell you as most people aren't particularly open about their stats unless you're really good friends. I know there were people who did better than me in the SMP who didn't get into GUSOM (could be MCAT, could be interview, or perhaps they wanted to go to another school). There were also people who did well who hadn't taken the MCAT or needed to improve their MCAT. Sometimes those people get in to GUSOM the following year. I think my M1 class had 30 from my SMP class and like 10 from the year before.

Reactions: 1 user
It's with a heavy heart that I withdraw my acceptance from the SMP! I really fell in love with this program and was really looking forward to going to DC this fall! Best of luck to everyone. I hope the waitlist moves soon.

I graduated from the SMP in 2018, and was just accepted to GUSoM this cycle! If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them!

I loved my time at the SMP and felt very well supported by the faculty. After finishing, I retook the MCAT, and felt very prepared for it. I probably would not be going to med school next year if not for the faculty and support that I had!

Just to clarify a few things about interview&acceptances to GUSoM: people who apply via AMCAS during the cycle are put into a separate pool that interviews in early April. This is after GUSoM has finished their interviews for the regular cycle, and your interview day consists of just the 1 on 1 interview. They interview roughly the top 40% of the class, which usually corresponds to a ~3.7 SMP GPA cutoff and about 75-80 people. The admissions committee looks at your app as well to make sure that you have all the other necessary parts of a good medical school applications. From that pool of 75-80 interviews, you'll have roughly 30-35 people accepted. Hope this is helpful!
Hi a-robit! I've tried to message you, but I keep getting an error. Do you think you could DM me so that I could ask you a few questions about your experience in the SMP? Thank you so much!

My GPA was lower and I’m in the program currently. If you don’t apply, you are rejecting yourself.
Hi calvangri - I am hoping to ask you a few questions about your experience in the SMP, but I'm having some technical problems with being able to DM you. If you are interested, could you DM me so that I'd be able to shoot a few questions? Thank you!

My application was marked complete yesterday 6/11 under review today 6/12 and received an acceptance today

My application was marked complete yesterday 6/11 under review today 6/12 and received an acceptance today
How long did it take you to get your application marked complete? I sent in all my stuff a while ago but my application is still incomplete...

How long did it take you to get your application marked complete? I sent in all my stuff a while ago but my application is still incomplete...
It took about 3-4 days. My letters were the only thing that took a while because Interfolio was slow getting it to them. My transcripts were sent electronically and were marked as received pretty quick

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck guys! I graduated SMP this year and out of all the schools I was accepted, I will be attending GUSOM because they offered the most amount of financial award and the privilege of waiving most of my classes for M1 was very significant. Focus on studying and nothing else at least for the first block and you are good. Review the lectures every day, but also review what is called the MNTS, otherwise known as medical notes taking service. These are concise lecture notes written by M1 students and are damn good at including all the high yield stuff except for histology (histo sucks). I religiously used this material for the entire year and starting block 3 I ditched the lectures and it became my primary study material. I didn't even read or hear the lectures for some of the classes and still did really well on exams. Knowing the MNTS in and out will be enough to get you an A- for the course. If there is one tip for the SMPs, it is trust the MNTS lol

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck guys! I graduated SMP this year and out of all the schools I was accepted, I will be attending GUSOM because they offered the most amount of financial award and the privilege of waiving most of my classes for M1 was very significant. Focus on studying and nothing else at least for the first block and you are good. Review the lectures every day, but also review what is called the MNTS, otherwise known as medical notes taking service. These are concise lecture notes written by M1 students and are damn good at including all the high yield stuff except for histology (histo sucks). I religiously used this material for the entire year and starting block 3 I ditched the lectures and it became my primary study material. I didn't even read or hear the lectures for some of the classes and still did really well on exams. Knowing the MNTS in and out will be enough to get you an A- for the course. If there is one tip for the SMPs, it is trust the MNTS lol
Thanks for the advice! Any other resources/books you recommend we buy? I’ve heard sketchy and Pathoma can be useful

Thanks for the advice! Any other resources/books you recommend we buy? I’ve heard sketchy and Pathoma can be useful

I didn't really use outside resources. For physiology portion, lectures are pretty straight forward and there are tons of online resources for students to utilize. I know few people who used those books but I don't think it really made a difference. Micro and path are not that huge component of the program, and pharm is very straight forward. Anatomy can be painful but there are also tons of online resources provided by the program for you to use.

Sketchy and Pathoma will be more useful during your M1 and M2 years. Complete Anatomy is a 3d program that can be very useful for learning anatomy. Other than that, you can essentially survive on MNTS alone.

Is this program worth it for 3.7+ ugrad GPA? If I can do decently in this program will it help me get in somewhere this cycle?

Is this program worth it for 3.7+ ugrad GPA? If I can do decently in this program will it help me get in somewhere this cycle?
There's no reason to do this program for a gpa that high. In fact, you run the risk of making yourself less competitive by underperforming or making adcoms question your decision.

There's no reason to do this program for a gpa that high. In fact, you run the risk of making yourself less competitive by underperforming or making adcoms question your decision.

Can I PM you?

Would anyone recommend this program for someone with a cGPA-3.2 , sGPA-3.0 and a mcat of 510?

Would anyone recommend this program for someone with a cGPA-3.2 , sGPA-3.0 and a mcat of 510?
Yes. You’d be a good candidate for this program. How are your ECs like volunteer work with the underserved and clinical experience? Those are just as important as MCAT and performance in this program.

@calvangri Have a lot of EC's, just a few examples, football coach, after school counselor and YMCA counselor(Haven't been really adding up the exact hours but been doing it for over 3 years).

For volunteer work I have a little bit of time working in the hospital (about 30 hours still ongoing). About 300 hours working in a soup kitchen for the underserved (still ongoing).

Still got about a year and a half till I apply so any critiques/advice would be welcome. Also thank you for replying!

Last edited:
If any former SMP students could answer, if I am applying this cycle and have sent out applications, how do medical schools know that I am enrolled in the Georgetown SMP and how will they get my grades? If medical schools are deciding who to give interviews to in August then wouldn't they need to know ASAP that I am in the SMP so they can take that under consideration?

If any former SMP students could answer, if I am applying this cycle and have sent out applications, how do medical schools know that I am enrolled in the Georgetown SMP and how will they get my grades? If medical schools are deciding who to give interviews to in August then wouldn't they need to know ASAP that I am in the SMP so they can take that under consideration?
Email Amy Richards. You should be part of a google group that has all the information for applying to schools, which schools to apply to, and how to enter the courses from the SMP into your AMCAS.

ACCEPTED TODAY!!!

I will see those of you who have accepted in August. Just gotta scramble for housing now lol

do most people use ipads, paper/pen, or laptops to take notes?

Whatever works for you. There are studies that say that physically writing a note has a much stronger relation to memory than merely typing. Personally, I found that to be true as well. However, I know many people who wrote notes on their laptop every day and were successful.

The only issue is sheer volume. You really have to trim down your notes from the lecture or you will spend hours a day writing and give yourself wrist tendonitits. An iPad is a good compromise since you can essentially carry it with you everywhere or access your notes from other places.

I had a laptop and an iPad for the SMP. I’m in the small percentage of people who didn’t take any notes. I relied 100% on the MNTS. I found that using an iPad wasn’t necessary. If you have a really nice computer, that should serve you well. Most people I know typed their notes and then made Anki cards.

I just used a laptop and made my own note sets supplemented with the MNTS, which worked fine. Lots of people study differently, so it mostly comes down to figuring out what works for you

Anyone get accepted for this upcoming Fall 2019 with a GPA lower than 3.0?

Hey guys,

I’m thinking about applying for 2020-2021. I really want to be able to use my AMCAS application to apply but it only has my grades from prior to this past summer. I have a 3.18 cGPA 3.34 sGPA with the past three years above 3.75 for both science and non science. MCAT 515. Do you guys think I’ll be fine?

Hey guys,

I’m thinking about applying for 2020-2021. I really want to be able to use my AMCAS application to apply but it only has my grades from prior to this past summer. I have a 3.18 cGPA 3.34 sGPA with the past three years above 3.75 for both science and non science. MCAT 515. Do you guys think I’ll be fine?

Hello all, thank you for the amazing advice. I have similar stats and am wondering if it would be advantageous to apply for next cycle as well.

Hello! I also want to apply for 2020-2021. I was wondering if having my application marked as complete in April would be too late as it's rolling admissions? My cGPA is ~3.55 and I have a lot of ECs but I still have to take the MCAT. Please let me know when do most people apply?

Thanks!

Hello! I also want to apply for 2020-2021. I was wondering if having my application marked as complete in April would be too late as it's rolling admissions? My cGPA is ~3.55 and I have a lot of ECs but I still have to take the MCAT. Please let me know when do most people apply?

Thanks!
You wouldn't be early but that's about the same time that I applied.

However, I don't see a need for you to go to an SMP w/ a cGPA of 3.55. While that's a little below average, the SMP isn't really going to give you a huge boost to your application. You're better off taking additional undergrad courses or strengthening your application in other areas.

Is this program 1 or 2 years long?

ACCEPTED TODAY!!!

I will see those of you who have accepted in August. Just gotta scramble for housing now lol

Do you mind telling me when your application was marked complete and do you mind sharing your stats?

should I take SMP if my GPA is s3.25 and c3.40? Dont think im having luck with med schools this year at all.

should I take SMP if my GPA is s3.25 and c3.40? Dont think im having luck with med schools this year at all.

Depends on your MCAT score and also whether you want to matriculate into a MD program.

MCAT is 506. ec is all pretty good. DO schools are rejecting me.. MD placed me on holds.

I'm surprised that you are getting rejected from DO schools with your MCAT and GPA. Do you have any notable red flags on your app? I would post your app under WAMC and see If an adcom can chime in. However, it's still not too late in the cycle, I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet especially DO schools. For MD schools even with an SMP your MCAT is a little low.

I'm surprised that you are getting rejected from DO schools with your MCAT and GPA. Do you have any notable red flags on your app? I would post your app under WAMC and see If an adcom can chime in. However, it's still not too late in the cycle, I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet especially DO schools. For MD schools even with an SMP your MCAT is a little low.
What is WAMC? Could you tell me about that? I think my biggest issue is my rec letter (at least I can't think of any other thing). I contacted some DO schools who rejected me and they just told me about being out of the region. (my region has not responded). But they did not mention my rec letters nor did I ask them. My MCAT is a retake from a 502 to a 506. Not sure if retaking it again will help. Especially when I studied for almost a year for the 506 one.

What is WAMC? Could you tell me about that? I think my biggest issue is my rec letter (at least I can't think of any other thing). I contacted some DO schools who rejected me and they just told me about being out of the region. (my region has not responded). But they did not mention my rec letters nor did I ask them. My MCAT is a retake from a 502 to a 506. Not sure if retaking it again will help. Especially when I studied for almost a year for the 506 one.

What Are My Chances? WAMC Medical ; Do you think your recommender might've wrote some negative things in his/her LOR or do you think it's just weak in general? It could potentially be the specific schools you applied, some schools as they mentioned are region specific or are in-state bias. I recommend you start a thread with GPA/MCAT/ECs and also the list of schools you applied. The adcoms will be able to tell you which schools to add/take out next cycle or if you need a DIY postbacc or an SMP. SMPs in general are very expensive and also high risk meaning if you do below average you can significantly decrease your chances of matriculating into any US medical school.

Hi xosonova96, would you mind if I asked you a few questions regarding your stats before acceptance into the SMP?

It might help, but it depends on which schools you applied to and how the rest of your application looks. However, if you do poorly it will be the end of your med school career.