Georgetown SMP Application Thread 2019- 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am going to be applying for fall 2021 admission, but I couldn't find a forum for those applying for fall 2021 admission, so I'd thought I'd ask around here. My cGPA is a 3.35, and my sGPA is a 3.6. I'm going to be taking the MCAT this year, but I have taken Kaplan practice tests and other AAMC practice tests, and have scored in the 515-517 range every time. I was a college transfer student, I transferred colleges after sophomore year. My gpa at my first college was a 2.56, and my gpa at my second college was a 3.86. My second college I had so many more credit hours, so my gpa is definitely skewed toward the second college's gpa. I'm just worried about how they look at transfer students and that my 2.56 will stick out like a sore thumb. Additionally at first at my second college I wanted to be a teacher, so I took some education classes that really boosted my gpa but they were super easy and I'm worried the admissions committee may not look as highly upon those courses? I finished college as a science major. Am I competitive to get into the Georgetown SMP?

I think so! I just got in recently, and had worse stats (albeit strong upward trend). I'm also planning to take the MCAT prior to the SMP, and sent them 3 recent practice exam scores. I don't think a low initial GPA would be frowned upon, since the program is designed for those who would otherwise have a strong app! I think you have a good chance if you apply soon, since the GTDT campus is full, and the GUMC class is starting to fill up! If you would like any other feedback, feel free to PM me. Best of luck!

Edit: Oops, my bad I misread Fall 2021 for Fall 2020. I think you'd most certainly be competitive for next year.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all. I am new to this thread but applied last week and got WL email.

Does anyone have any insight on movement from WL to A? Thanks in advance for the help!
Hey! I would just recommend keeping in touch with the admission committee. Did they tell you why you were waitlisted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I would just recommend keeping in touch with the admission committee. Did they tell you why you were waitlisted?

Hmm. Nothing that I thought stood out to me. I thought it was universal email. The only thing I could extrapolate from their email is

"The WL indicates that the Committee has elected to reconsider your application later in the application process."

"Final decision anytime between now and August 2020."

"We encourage you to email practice MCAT scores or grades as they become available."

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm. Nothing that I thought stood out to me. I thought it was universal email. The only thing I could extrapolate from their email is

"The WL indicates that the Committee has elected to reconsider your application later in the application process."

"Final decision anytime between now and August 2020."

"We encourage you to email practice MCAT scores or grades as they become available."
I'll PM you

Thanks for asking kindly! I had a feeling my post would be met with disappointment. I have personal reasons of why I’m going this route. One of them being moving away from an abusive house and being in school. Going to school is my only way out (I’ve considered every single option there is before coming to this one). Funny enough, money is not an issue. It’s a long story which I really can’t really disclose. I know there’s bigger problems in my life than choosing an SMP, but I really need this rn.
So with that being said, what do you think is a better option? GT or MAMS Loyola?
Hey! I don't know much about loyola, but georgetown SMP is very well known and a lot of medical schools look at it favorably. Have you tried to personally reach out to the admission?

Has anyone been taken out of waitlist in this program? I just got an email that I was waitlisted and I want to know my chances of getting into the program

I have been accepted to the SMP program but I am wondering if anyone is choosing to opt out of in-person classes this fall due to COVID.

I have been accepted to the SMP program but I am wondering if anyone is choosing to opt out of in-person classes this fall due to COVID.

The option to opt-out is definitely intriguing, in terms of saving money of housing and being able to stay home. I was set on attending another program that has a hybrid curriculum approach, but I'm definitely back to weighing this option. Although I can imagine the inherent disadvantages (less of a relationship with faculty, not sure how medical schools would view it). I'm also wondering what others are thinking

The option to opt-out is definitely intriguing, in terms of saving money of housing and being able to stay home. I was set on attending another program that has a hybrid curriculum approach, but I'm definitely back to weighing this option. Although I can imagine the inherent disadvantages (less of a relationship with faculty, not sure how medical schools would view it). I'm also wondering what others are thinking
The issue is it's the medical classes that are all online so no in-person faculty interaction. It's only the grad classes that might be a hybrid. If the medical classes were a hybrid, then I would definitely consider in-person.

The issue is it's the medical classes that are all online so no in-person faculty interaction. It's only the grad classes that might be a hybrid. If the medical classes were a hybrid, then I would definitely consider in-person.
So, does that mean you can take all the classes from home including exams, quizzes, and practicals? No need to move for any reason?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

So, does that mean you can take all the classes from home including exams, quizzes, and practicals? No need to move for any reason?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
The exams are all online. I don't know anything about quizzes or practicals but all assignments and lectures are online.

Does anyone know the differences between the two campuses for the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the differences between the two campuses for the program?
Hey! Here is a link that gives a break down on the locations. I am just an applicant waiting to hear back. Hope this helps!

Hi for anyone who is done with the program - is the material taught over the year sufficient enough for the biology and biochemistry sections on the MCAT? So that when the program ends, I can do a quick review of the content for the 2 since I learned it over the year and spend more time with the other 5 subjects? Just trying to figure out a timeline since I want to take the MCAT and apply next summer after the program ends.

Thank you!

Hi for anyone who is done with the program - is the material taught over the year sufficient enough for the biology and biochemistry sections on the MCAT? So that when the program ends, I can do a quick review of the content for the 2 since I learned it over the year and spend more time with the other 5 subjects? Just trying to figure out a timeline since I want to take the MCAT and apply next summer after the program ends.

Thank you!
haven't done the program, currently applying myself. However, I am in GSMI physiology this summer and its some of the same lectures and professors from the SMP and I'm pretty sure the material that will go over in SMP will be sufficient for MCAT bio/biochem. Also you will def learn some physics (during cardio for sure) and some other chem stuff that will be helpful for the mcat. But maybe someone who has completed the actual program can answer more accurately for you.

Hey! Here is a link that gives a break down on the locations. I am just an applicant waiting to hear back. Hope this helps!

Thank you

haven't done the program, currently applying myself. However, I am in GSMI physiology this summer and its some of the same lectures and professors from the SMP and I'm pretty sure the material that will go over in SMP will be sufficient for MCAT bio/biochem. Also you will def learn some physics (during cardio for sure) and some other chem stuff that will be helpful for the mcat. But maybe someone who has completed the actual program can answer more accurately for you.
I see that would make sense! Thanks for sharing. And yes if someone who has done the program could chime in, that would be helpful :)

Hey guys, for those that have been accepted into the program, CONGRATS! I wanted to know how the waitlist is for GTDT? And which campus you guys are leaning toward? Also, has it been announced how classes will be working this year? Thanks!

I have been on the waitlist since early June and I am getting antsy and scared about it because I want this program so badly. Has anyone been admitted off of the waitlist yet? and do you know why it is taking a while to hear back?

I have been on the waitlist since early June and I am getting antsy and scared about it because I want this program so badly. Has anyone been admitted off of the waitlist yet? and do you know why it is taking a while to hear back?

I’ve been on the waiting list since May- silent on the other end :(