Georgetown SMP Meet N' Greet

Started by jkherson
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jkherson

Re-App me PLZ
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

This is my first post, hopefully not my last. I received an email this morning from G-Town telling me that I have been selected for the upcoming class. Needless to say, I'm stoked.

I would like to meet as many people as possible to make this upcoming year something special.

My AIM is "jkherson" and my email is [email protected] ... lookin forward to hearing from as many new/old students as possible!

Jonathan Khersonsky
http://rumb4u.whimit.com
 
congrats - apparently there's an open house for the program here in DC sometime in April. if you're definitely attending, you should check it out. you'll get a chance to meet a lot of us and i'm sure you can get most all of your questions answered.
 
medstylee said:
congrats - apparently there's an open house for the program here in DC sometime in April. if you're definitely attending, you should check it out. you'll get a chance to meet a lot of us and i'm sure you can get most all of your questions answered.

Would have loved to go. I'm too late to sign up, as all the spots have been filled! 😕

I dont really know my next step! Any advice?

-Jonathan
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
jkherson said:
Would have loved to go. I'm too late to sign up, as all the spots have been filled! 😕

I dont really know my next step! Any advice?

-Jonathan

Don't worry about not going to the open house. I am going to attend the SMP next year and I did sign up for the open house. I was called and politely asked to not come.

The open house is more for people who have not applied or not decided that they are going. If you are decided, then the open house would be a waste of your time and money.

There is also a thread in here for people who are going to go to the SMP. Take a look.

While the idea of a meet and greet sounds really good to me, I don't know that it will be practical before we all get out to DC. I am really hoping to build some strong friendships with my fellow classmates - I would like to avoid a lot of the "competition" that I have seen associated with these programs. There is no reason we can't all succeed. I just don't think financially it is realistic to try to meet earlier.
 
Hey Jkherson, can you post your stats, profile when you applied to give us an idea what Georgetown is accepting at this time? Thanks bro
 
ctothed said:
Hey Jkherson, can you post your stats, profile when you applied to give us an idea what Georgetown is accepting at this time? Thanks bro

thats easy: MCAT #1 8/7/10R #2 10/10/10 GPA: sci: ~2.9 overall ~3.1

yea ... i'm not going to the open house, now i just need to find a place to live!!! YIKES!!! (i'm going to craigslist.org)

-Jonathan
 
jkherson said:
thats easy: MCAT #1 8/7/10R #2 10/10/10 GPA: sci: ~2.9 overall ~3.1

yea ... i'm not going to the open house, now i just need to find a place to live!!! YIKES!!! (i'm going to craigslist.org)

-Jonathan

Hey - if/when you do find something, could you throw a bone for the rest of us and let us know what you got?

I've been doing some searching, but nothing really exciting yet. Best I've found is an apartment complex near Rosslyn, VA called Sheffield Apts. It has been recommended by a few G-town students and is supposedly right on the GUTS line.
 
Rosslyn is definitely a good place to stay. The rent in this area is cheaper than living in georgetown, but it's right across the key bridge, which is like a 10 min. walk. Another big plus is that there is a Rosslyn metro stop, so you don't have to walk for to get to one. Realize that there is no metro stop in Georgetown, so it is more of a pain to get to one.
 
imrep1972 said:
Hey - if/when you do find something, could you throw a bone for the rest of us and let us know what you got?

I've been doing some searching, but nothing really exciting yet. Best I've found is an apartment complex near Rosslyn, VA called Sheffield Apts. It has been recommended by a few G-town students and is supposedly right on the GUTS line.

i'll throw you one, if you throw me a couple of your own ;-) so far, i'm flying solo so this is a really hard thing to take care of! I can't imagine finding a place without even seeing it! :scared:

think i'm buying a bike/chain when i get there!

laterz

-Jonathan
 
jkherson said:
i'll throw you one, if you throw me a couple of your own ;-) so far, i'm flying solo so this is a really hard thing to take care of! I can't imagine finding a place without even seeing it! :scared:

laterz

-Jonathan

Are you planning to make a visit to DC before you pick a place? I spoke with Aurelia (sp?) and she mentioned that many students come out in the summer about the same time to look for a place. (sounds like it may be an organized deal). I also read on the G-town website that they open up some of their dorms each summer for students to stay for a few days for free while they look for a place.

And be sure, as soon as I have any ideas about a place, I will be telling everyone I know. So far, Sheffield is the only lead I have.
 
Thegandlighs said:
Rosslyn is definitely a good place to stay. The rent in this area is cheaper than living in georgetown, but it's right across the key bridge, which is like a 10 min. walk. Another big plus is that there is a Rosslyn metro stop, so you don't have to walk for to get to one. Realize that there is no metro stop in Georgetown, so it is more of a pain to get to one.

Theg - how painful is that walk in the winter? Also, how safe is it? I've heard some horror stories about neighborhoods in and around DC.
 
I forgot to mention that there is a shuttle service (GUTS) that runs from the Rosslyn metro all the way to the middle of the university campus, so no worries. It runs from Monday to Saturday. Don't worry about the walk from Rosslyn to Georgetown if you decide to have a nice stroll, there are plenty of people that walk over the bridge at night, as well as the busy parts of Georgetown.