• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
Nov 12, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
With all of my current accepts, I am definitely leaning towards Georgetown. The one school I am waiting to hear back from is WashU. I realize at this point it is more likely a waitlist than an outright accept. So, if I am accepted to WashU at some point, I could definitely use some outside opinions on where I should go.

Georgetown
Pros:
  • I really like the Jesuit approach to education and the cura personalis approach of the medical school
  • location - love D.C.
  • professional goals: I intend to complete my MD/MPH; Georgetown has a partnership with Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School (arguably the best public health school in the world)
  • I would most definitely do the Social Justice or Public Health track
  • clinicals start in the spring of M2
  • I'll have a better "feel" for the institution as I will be at Second Look
  • NIH nearby
Cons:
  • away from friends/family
  • bigger class size
  • 200k+ debt
Neutral:
  • have a longer surgical rotation than others; I don't think I'll end up in surgery but definitely don't see it as a negative
  • rotations are at several different locations
WashU (awaiting decision)
Pros:
  • money is not issue for research, going abroad, etc.
  • smaller class size
  • location - close to home, love St. Louis
  • ~100k debt
  • research powerhouse
Cons:
  • if I'm accepted from waitlist, will most likely have missed Second Look to get the better "feel"
Neutral:
  • it's my understanding that the MPH program is relatively new; however, they do offer a concentration in public policy which is what I am interest in
  • most rotations are at Barnes
  • I like the traditional approach to education, but it is for 2 years rather than 1.5

One last note: I put very little weight on U.S. News rankings.

libertyyne

5+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2015
Status
Medical Student
washU is a much better program.

Last edited:
Reactions: SuaveCardigans
About the Ads
About the Ads