Georgia (Mercer focus) two years after graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lindlar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Undergrad institute: UGA
Bio major phil minor
3.51 c. gpa
3.66 science gpa
Graduated May 2011
MCAT: 34 (early 2012)

~100 hours clinical volunteering (2009-2011, mostly at Grady Memorial)
~50 hours non-clinical volunteering (2010-2011)

Undergrad research studying developmental stem cell pathways in fruit flies for two years, no publications (2010-2011)

Shadowing
Neurology 20 hr (2010)
ER MD 15 hr (2011)
General surgery (shadowing a nurse anesthesiologist) 20 hrs (2011)
Ortho surgeon 20 hrs (2011)

---
**Below lies a self-indulgent story with needless detail, there is a summary below for just-the-facts, or read if you want a better sense of where I stand**

Graduated May 2011, found myself very burned out, several people felt that I entered a depressed state of sorts during the last year of school.
After graduation, studied and took the MCAT in November while working as a waiter, did not try to apply that cycle.
Began a job as an MD scribe as well to buff application. Was taken on with 5 others out of about 60 applicants to begin training. Made it to the last day of training and was let go.
The person overseeing the training explained that he felt I was qualified to continue, but due to missing a day of the training due to a scheduling mistake on my part (at my other job waiting tables, I told someone I would work for them and I keep my word), he was forced to let me go by those overseeing his own work. 1 of the 5 continued past training. For some reason, I took this very hard

Began to question many things. My reasons for applying, if I was actually interested in medicine or if I just wanted a reliable job with a fat paycheck. My quality of life and my quality as a person. I had/have very few friends and hardly go out. I blame it on forcing myself to forego a social life to force myself to study harder, as I am admittedly not as intelligent as most applicants. Which still only yielded average results. I began to question if I was really the sort of person qualified to handle matters which could leave people dead dying or maimed, and found myself lacking.

**Summary**
After graduating and taking the MCAT, I've been waiting tables for the past year without applying due to personal reasons, despite having fairly reasonable statistics for an instate Georgia application.

I have a biology degree with a philosophy minor and I mean to put it to use one way or another. I'm considering giving medical school one last go, but I wonder if I have any reasonable chance after doing nothing hugely productive for going on a year after graduation.

I have a great interest in horseback riding and woodworking, and could easily see myself working in a rural area where I could pursue these things on the side whilst working as a primary care physician, hence my interest in Mercer.

Thank you for your thoughts. Please ask questions if more detail is needed, I am an open book awaiting your perusal

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No responses after a day... I get the sense that this means my chances are not good

You won't hurt my feelings telling me this, I'd appreciate any replies

You're good to go. Apply early next June. EDP if you're serious about Mercer. Why didn't you apply this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Personal reasons as mentioned above. Issues of confidence, self-esteem and all that jazz. Felt I wasn't cut out to be handle the responsibilities of an MD

You really think I have a chance two years post graduation without working in a medically related field?

Last edited:
Yes. But you probably won't do well in interviews if you don't feel confident. Work on that. A 34 MCAT isn't average btw.

Heh, gpa seems low so the nice mcat is a counterbalance that I think leaves me about average.

According to this chart, I have the same chances as someone with a 30 mcat and a 3.7 gpa
Good to focus on the positives I suppose
2a60e1e.jpg

Good to focus on the positives I suppose

Exactly. You have the numbers and good ec's. You just need to work on the rest; PS, essays, applications, interview practice, etc.